World Triathlon Corporation
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 02m 25s
Overall Rank = 135/2106
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/80
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Benton Harbor on Saturday afternoon. Quickly picked up our race packets (in and out in less than 10min!!), and drove over to the park to catch the race briefing. I wanted to know what the plan was for the swim, since the forecast called for rip currents and 4-8 foot waves. The only info was- don't worry, we have back up plans. As we were sitting there, a massive storm moved in- huge dark clouds and gusty winds. People started scrambling to take cover. We sat in the car for a bit to watch it come in off the lake- it was a gorgeous storm!
After the storm blew through, we had a relaxing dinner, then went to our hotel and got to bed early. I didn't think about the race and kept myself calm and relaxed. I gave up on expectations and goals, and just focused on fun.
Event warmup:

Race morning was GREAT, finally! I managed to keep my nerves under control, and avoided having an upset stomach. It is an absolutely amazing feeling to actually feel good on race morning. I don't think I've felt like this in 2 years- I just felt like myself, happy, chatty, and excited to get out there. I was able to eat my breakfast, then a pre-race snack and I had no stomach pains or nausea. The only things I did differently were just to convince myself that I didn't care about this race- that I was just going to do my best, but to not have any real expectations or goals. I also had Gas-X. I think the Gas-x was what actually worked ;)
Swim
  • 00m
  • 2112 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

No swim. Waves were HUGE. 4-8 feet, breaking all over the water. Small vessel advisory- no boats or kayaks could get in the water. They made the right call, that water was NASTY. Way worse than in 2008. No one in transition was complaining about it- everyone just knew these waves were way too big. If you can't get a motorized boat in the water, how are 2100 people supposed to swim?
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 2h 27m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.82 mile/hr
Comments:

They started the race on the bike, and had everyone go off 2 at a time, every 5 seconds or so. They also went in bib number order, and I was 777. It took a while, but they had things under control.
This was an excellent ride! As soon as I got on my bike, I felt gooood. I was so, so happy to feel this way! My legs were poppin', my breathing was great and I had no stomach pains. Wow, it is a totally different race when your stomach doesn't hurt! I could actually think about my legs and bike, and could enjoy my yummy gu's, and I didn't have fantasies of crashing my bike into a ditch, just to stop riding like I did all throughout Musselman. This is what racing SHOULD feel like!
I passed a ton of girls at the start of the ride- most of the girls from my AG. My watts were way too high at the start, but I continued to ride at a steady 175-185 watts, so the average slowly drifted back down. I was passing people for the entire ride. Most were women from the older age groups, and just a few men. Due to the long line of people to pass (literally, for the entire course), the winds weren't nearly as much of an issue as they would be if I were all by myself. I know that this was a huge advantage, but I still rode legal the entire ride. I was just passing one or two people every quarter of a mile. I can't even imagine the immense advantage the men at the back had- not drafting like in other races, but just passing everyone legally.
Even with all of the passing, I kept my watts up really well, and pushed myself on the bike. I felt like I was flying, and keeping 181 watts actually felt easy. It was just wonderful to feel strong. I was having FUN! I also held strong for the whole ride, and only dropped a few watts at the very end, when we had to ride up the bike path to get to transition.

This was another bike PR- in time, speed and power- because the course was accurately measured. I technically rode this same time in 2008, but the coures was a full 2 miles short. My bike IS improving! Now I need to run faster....

What would you do differently?:

Not ride at 200+ watts for the first 3 miles. Probably cost me a minute on the run. I also didn't run off the bike in my previous 2 weeks of training, which was just laziness on my part, but also cost me on the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Huh, I had no idea I was so slow! The transition area was a bit big, but still, I should've been moving faster.
Run
  • 1h 33m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

It felt great to be out on the run, and I was still in such a good mood about my stomach. I could think about my legs and my lungs, and not worry about my stomach. I started off a bit hard, but it felt pretty easy. My goal was to be under 7min/miles for the whole run, and for the first half or so, I was right at 6:56's. I passed 2 pro women at the start of the run (they were on their second lap), so that felt pretty cool. At around mile 5, I heard little feet catching up to me. It was another pro woman, and she was moving at a steady pace, so I decided to try and hang with her for as long as possible. We were running about 6:50's, which is what my ideal pace was, and I made it with her for about 3 miles. I think she upped her pace at some point, because I fell back, but still felt like I was pushing pretty hard.
On the second loop, the run course got very crowded. It felt like I was flying by everyone, but when I looked at my pace, I was already starting to loose ground. Sometimes it's nice to have people to pick off, but at the same time, when everyone around you is walking or running a lot slower, it seeps into your brain to back off. I tried so hard to fight the fatigue and I pushed my legs as much as I felt I could, but I just couldn't get them to move faster. They felt on the verge of cramping for the last 4 miles or so, and I couldn't sustain my sub-7 effort. My effort level was the same, but my pace dropped. And with no one around to catch, it made the mental effort that much harder.

What would you do differently?:

Overall, I put in a very strong effort on the run. I know I can run faster, so I now know in hindsight that I was just a bit too aggressive on the bike, I probably didn't drink enough, and I probably was just a bit too lazy in training.
Post race
Warm down:

After the race, I only had to wait a few minutes before Ryan was done. He had a good race as well, though he had some cramping on the run. He beat me overall, but I beat him on the run, so I'll take some solace in that :)
My parents were right there, cheering for us with Cody (the wonderDog). We hung out eating some food, waiting for the awards ceremony for a while. I was super excited to get first in my Age Group! I was 6th amateur, which was a little disappointing, but it also got me motivated to race again at Rev3 Half Cedar Point. I passed up the Vegas slot because it's just not in the budget for this year. Flying to races sucks, as does being a poor grad student :)

Event comments:

Overall, I enjoy doing this race. This is my third time racing here, and unfortunately, the swim has been cancelled twice. That is NOT the RD's fault- they had to make this call. But, it is something to consider when shelling out the money for this race. The bike is pretty easy, even on a windy day, and the run course is fair, but on the boring side. I do kind of like how the run is crowded though, because it's fun to see a ton of other competitors, and have lots of people around- you are never lonely on this course! The volunteers were amazing, the race is very well organized, and there is always great competition that shows up. I had a great time this weekend!

Last updated: 2011-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 2112 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/80
Overall: 0/2106
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:27:16 | 56 miles | 22.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/80
Overall: 255/2106
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:33:00 | 13.1 miles | 07m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/80
Overall: 0/2106
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-08-19 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Steelhead

2011-08-19 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3650339

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Steelhead
This is such an awesome race you put together. I'm incredibly proud of you! Hope you don't mind I posted your AG win pic complete with hardware. Look at that smile! Love it.

Could you please stop being so FAST now? It's getting extremely painful to try to keep up with you on these races

2011-08-19 12:26 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-08-19 8:38 PM

Boston
Speedy! And looks like those mini mega legs are coming along! Too bad you had to pass up on the Vegas slot! Would have been fun racing with you in Vegas and without the Clearwater draft fest! You are going to LOVE Rev3! Cool prizes too!
2011-08-22 5:22 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Awesome job!  And great podium pic! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Steelhead Rss Feed