General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
United States
Highlands Ranch Race Series
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 35s
Overall Rank = 67/122
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5:15, out of the house just after 6. Ate a hard-boiled egg and bagel on the way. Arrived, parked, set up transition, used the bathroom, used my inhaler and then headed to the pool.
Swim
  • 13m 24s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went surprisingly well. I was breathing hard but not panicked or out of breath enough that I needed to pause between laps. It also seemed to go by faster than I expected, perhaps because there was a chance to get out and run (and breathe!) halfway through? At any rate, I was really pleased with my time considering that the swim time included the run between pools and the run to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Check the depth before jumping in to start. I didn't have my goggles all the way on and thought I'd feel the bottom under me when I jumped in. Discovered I was wrong when I unexpectedly went under water. Oops.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

Brought a squirt bottle to rinse the gravel off my feet and that was awesome. Putting on my bike gloves takes a little extra time, but the comfort is worth it, I think.

I lost some time trying to get my bike off the rack without dislodging everything on my backpack. I'm not quite sure what to do about that because they specifically asked us to put our stuff in front of our tire rather than off to the side.
Bike
  • 39m 30s
  • 10 miles
  • 15.19 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a nice segment. There were hills, but nothing I couldn't handle and I managed to pass a few people too. It would be fun to do this on a road bike instead of a hybrid, but I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s

My bike tire got caught on someone else's handlebars and I wasted time separating the bikes rather than just leaving it alone. Next time, if nothing is falling off I'm leaving it as is.
Run
  • 31m 14s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Loved this part. I'd heard it was super hilly but I found the hills to be fairly manageable. I felt great at the end and could have went for a while longer, easily.
Post race
Warm down:

Met with friends, did some stretches.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics and not having a road bike. :P Realistically, I need to spend even more time on my bike and I'm sure my times would improve, even if it is a hybrid.

Event comments:

Perhaps this is specific to tris, but I was amazed by the number of teenage volunteers on the course who were texting, talking on phones or sitting on the curb with their heads in their laps trying to sleep. I just haven't seen this at running races. Also, a couple of the intersections with traffic lights really needed an adult volunteer to make sure we didn't get run over rather than a lone teen volunteer tucked away on a curb sleeping.

Last updated: 2011-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:24 | 500 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 0/122
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Start with 11 laps in the indoor pool, get out and run to the outdoor pool, and do 9 laps.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:30 | 10 miles | 15.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/12
Average HR 158 Laps 1 - 11.5 2 - 12.6 3 - 11.5 4 - 14.4 5 - 12.4 6 - 14.3 7 - 18.3 8 - 20.2 9 - 23.1 10 - 16.8
Wind: None
Course: Loop with 550 ft elevation gain, mostly in the first half of the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:14 | 03.5 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/12
Average HR: 167 1 - 8:52 2 - 9:23 3 - 8:46 last half-mile - 7:32
Course: Hilly loop with 300 feet of elevation gain on a mix of paved and gravel trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-08-21 12:26 AM

User image

Colorado
Subject: Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - Sprint Course
For more details, see here:  http://realrellim.wordpress.com/2011/08/20/race-report-splash-mash-...

Edited by realrellim 2011-08-21 12:29 AM

2011-08-22 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3652317

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - Sprint Course
Good job out there.  Especially the run.  I agree with you completely on the Teen vols sitting around.  Especially at stoplights.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed