Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 29m 39s
Overall Rank = 84/126
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/10
Pre-race routine:

eat food, drive to race and setup and talk to friends in the Duathlon
Event warmup:

Got in the water and did about 50-100 meters of swimming. Had to borrow goggles I left mine at home.. DOH !!!!
Swim
  • 20m 47s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started out nice and easy and was with the mid pack and felt really good about it then about 100 meters in my Borrowed goggles flooded and people climbing on me I started to loose my breathing control and switched to breast stroke for a few strokes. Then got back to freestyle and was breathing every other stroke. about 500 meters into it I settled down again and had good sighting 90% of the race until the end... I was going out into the lake instead of to the shore..WHOOPS...got spun around and heading to shore. Long run from Knee deep water to the mat and transition. Roughly 400 meters from where I stood up until I got to my bike.

I really really owe it to the guy that put a spare pair of goggles on loan to me.
What would you do differently?:

Need to work on slowing down and not letting my breathing get out of control still. Bring my damn goggles and back up goggles. I think I must have cleared those goggles 10-15 times on the swim. I even looked at my spare pair last night and didn't grab them.. DUMB DUMB DUMB...
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Pretty good transition. Still not a fan of the running to the very end of the transition to Make it Fair!!! Makes for a long darn transition from the swim

nothing all went pretty well.
Bike
  • 37m 2s
  • 20 kms
  • 32.40 km/hr
Comments:

Had a good bike ride. It started raining shortly into the bike. I had to slow right down on the first corner it got a bit crowded. Same thing on the same corner second lap around I caught up to some people and had to lock up the back tire because everyone slowed right down. Still very pleased with my bike ride.

Nothing I pushed the bike and my quads were hurting just enough to know I could keep it up.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Good transition. Came in hard and locked up the tires from a guy that thought he was done and realized he had another lap to do on his duathlon almost smoked him.

Nothing Good second transition
Run
  • 31m 52s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 22s  min/km
Comments:

Had a decent run. Wanted to start out at about 6:30/km for the first 1 or 2km then pick it up to my 5k running pace of 5:50 or down to 5:45 even. But I just couldn't do it. I got about 1km into the race and both my buttcheeks cramped up on me for the rest of the race it hurt but I kept giggling at myself. I finished strong but I just couldn't pick it up. Purely mental for sure.

Pick it up regardless of how I feel. Every thing was hurting but not sharp pain. Just plain sore and I should have just pushed through it. Marking this up as below average because I know I am capable of running a sub 30 min 5k....But I am still pleased overall.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line and went and seen my Mom, Tina and all my friends that were out racing. Along with many friends doing their first Duathlon today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not having my goggles hurt my swim a bit. Not pushing myself a bit more on the run. Mentally giving in.

Event comments:

They do a great job of putting it on. We were a bit behind on time because a tree fell on the road and they were removing it. It is local and lots of locals come out to this. I just find that for the price I pay and get a cotton shirt (same shirt as last year) and one hot dog at the end. It doesn't compare to some of the other races. But the volunteers, OAT and the setup and co-ordiantion is GREAT. OAT issued some penalties to people on bikes and even DQ'd someone on the bike. Rightfully so they were blocking the road riding side by side and wouldn't give up the lane.. Done complaining. I do recommend this race. Just make sure you bring your own food for after. I will be there again next year for sure.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:47 | 750 meters | 02m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 83/126
Performance: Below average
Suit: YES
Course: course was a bit of a triangle but mostly and an out and back past start and back to start.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:02 | 20 kms | 32.40 km/hr
Overall: 40/126
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops of a 10k course. Very smooth pavement for about 10km of the ride a bit rough in a few other spots. Bike time includes that long arse transition time into the bike and the transition out of the bike.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 99
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:52 | 05 kms | 06m 22s  min/km
Overall: 111/126
Performance: Below average
Average HR was 163 on the run
Course: out and back on a gravel/trail. It was a bit slippery in spots from the rain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-08-21 3:49 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Subject: Bulldog Triathlon - Sprint Course

2011-08-21 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3652716

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Subject: RE: Bulldog Triathlon - Sprint Course
Great job, Chris!  Good to see you back!
2011-08-21 4:50 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Thanks David.... Been a tough and Busy 5-6 weeks... suspect the next 5-6 will be busy still.. but I am on Track for the Detroit half marathon still.. Keeping that up. just have not had time to log it here. Hope your doing well man.
2011-08-22 5:52 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job SPanky!!!!
2011-08-22 9:44 PM
in reply to: #3654427

User image

Great race, Spanky! Sounds like you had fun out there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bulldog Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed