General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Triathlon Series - Pleasant Prairie Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Danskin Triathlon Series - Pleasant Prairie - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
The Xxtra Mile LLC.
Total Time = 1h 34m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = elite
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

got there at 4:30 when transition opened, they still didn't have our racks up(#'s only went to 1400...I was 1461. So I talked with one of the volunteers and they put up 2 more racks for us....you would have thought some of the athletes were vultures and the racks were road kill...I am sorry but this was probably one of the worse displays of behavior that I have seen from triathlets. People were removing their bikes from where they had them and taking over the racks! I was able to get my spot and Lauren's but felt bad for those that were not there early. (I find out at T1 that 2 people moved mine and Lauren's bikes and squeezed between us!) Spent the rest of the time going over t1 and t2..(more on that later) ate a protein bar and an FRS
Event warmup:

did a few run drills and stretched, put on my wetsuit (which is a workout for me!)walked to the other side of the lake. Jumped in the water and took a few strokes and they called for the elites to line up.
Swim
  • 16m 55s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Let me start by saying I knew I was out of my league but was asked to start with the elites. It was an honor to be in the same wave with Lauren and even touched her toes for my first few strokes.... But let me back up just a bit. We were standing at the start line and talking (the 5 of us) and 2 of the racers say they are slow swimmers one even tells me this is only her 2nd OWS! so we were going back and forth about who would be last out of the water which calmed my nerves a bit until we start...ya slow my azz... I think I might of stayed with them for about 10 strokes if that! I could feel them getting farther away and I tried pushing harder thinking if I could just stay on some toes, no such luck (the next slowes swimmer had a time of 12:16) I could tell I went out way to hard and my toes were tingling...so I back it off and just swim. I could not see anything, the sun was right at eye sight and they only had 3 big buoys (one at the start one in the middle and one at the finish) Which while I was swimming I could not see. Then 1 white small buoy between each, again which I never saw, and because I was swimming alone I had no one to sight off of so I had to keep stopping to find where I was and look for the splash from the others that were already across the lake! Wish I had my garmin in my cap because I know I added some distance to this one! Finally got toward the end and all I feel are weeds and I am thinking to myself why do they have us swimming through all these weeds? Only to hear a whistle and the people on shore screaming that I was off the course... had to swim back and out to the finish...definiatly not my best performance!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing I could do, the sun blinded me! Well and not start out so fast, but I recovered from that fine.
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

I really need to work on my transitions! I will say I was racked on the complete opposite side of the swim in, Then add to the fact that someone moved my bike...this was still bad!
Bike
  • 45m 50s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 17.67 mile/hr
Comments:

ok well the site has the distance as 12 but they changed the course this year and my garmin has 14.19. my time has me listed at 15.7 mi/pace but garmin has me at 18.4. so I am putting in 13.5 for the distance! I will say I was pushing for a 19 or 20 so, I am happy with my bike.

I wish I would have ridden the course, there were a few areas that I should have been in a different gear and shifted too late, which dropped my speed.
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

The bike in was not the same as bike out...like was said! So as I came in to T2 I had no idea where to go so I cut across the parking lot, not sure if that is what I was supposed to do but I did!

more practice. I really have not focused on transitions this season.
Run
  • 25m 31s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Took a minute to get my rhythm and had to remind my self to open up and run faster! I just got used to holding back...

nothing... felt good about my run!
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal, found Erin and walked to the tri-faster tent and spent the rest of the morning talking and congratulating other racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This is only my 2nd sprint of the season, I have been doing IM distance, slow and long, so I am pleased with my times today!

Event comments:

Had a great time today and was so inspired by some of the teams that were out there...Team Phoenix was amazing! I was also proud to be a part of the tunnel of love as the last triathlete crossed the finish! And although it was nerve racking and intimidating to be with the elites it was great to race with the fasties if only for a few minutes!

Last updated: 2011-08-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:55 | 880 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Right into the sun! Maybe that is all I should say...ok straight across Lake Andrea. I think they should consider having us swim away from the recplex so the sun is behind us?
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:50 | 13.5 miles | 17.67 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Windy out there...and never a tail wind:(
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:26
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:31 | 03 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Performance:
hmmm the site has me at 8:13 pace...I think I like the site better. Garmin has me at 8:29 pace
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-08-22 8:53 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
Subject: Danskin Triathlon Series - Pleasant Prairie

2011-08-22 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3653397

User image

Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Danskin Triathlon Series - Pleasant Prairie

Nice job Kim!  The sun really was brutal for swim sighting.  Just call it a tour of Lake Andrea! Now on to the big show...

Colleen

2011-08-22 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Nice seeing you out there yesterday & good job!  Got a picture of you coming out of the water with my iphone & I'll email it to you today.
2011-08-22 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, WI
Nice job out there. Now less than three weeks to the big one!
2011-08-24 4:04 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Good job Kimmyk.  How did you end up racing with the elite?  Quite the honor indeed. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Triathlon Series - Pleasant Prairie Rss Feed