General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 28m 38s
Overall Rank = 103/127
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Drove in from CT on Thursday to my parent's house in PA and then on to my in-laws in Columbus on Saturday. Forgot how much I missed driving in the midwest. So much more relaxing!

Woke up race morning at 4:30 after a surprisingly good sleep. Got my things together, made a peanut butter bagel for later and left.

Arrived at 6am to a VERY dark parking lot. Huh. I guess those people with headlamps were pretty smart - it's not this dark in CT at 6am! Darn time zones! Guess I'll have to delay my portapotty trip for a bit. Asked directions to the registration tent and did that, chip pick up and body marking.

Earlier this month I had arranged for an onsite wetsuit rental through IDUTRI out of Cleveland. Walked over to a man sitting in the dark by a bunch of products for sale. Took a chance and asked "Are you Chris?" Turned out that it was and I got my wetsuit and went back to get my stuff.
Event warmup:

Did a little prerace swim to get the feel of the wetsuit and water.
Swim
  • 44m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim overall, had a little trouble with sighting on the first 1/4 of the swim, but managed to get better. Couldn't find any feet to draft, though it was a smaller race, so that probably didn't help. Liked the sleeveless wetsuit a lot more than the full sleeves at my last one, though this neck was HIGH and TIGHT. Not a fan, and will likely look into a different brand next time. Glad that I haven't bought one yet because I still haven't worn one that has fit me well.

Only not great part was the LARGE hill we had to run up to get to T1. Cruel and unusual punishment, though there wasn't any other way they could do it.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Took the extra time to put on gloves since I was riding my roadie without aerobars. People were walking out of T1 with their bikes and it was too crowded to get around them, so I had to walk too.
Bike
  • 3h 12m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.46 mile/hr
Comments:

First lap was great! I was above target speed, but it felt easy. My goal was 16.5 mph based on my avg speed of 16mph at Quassy. Since it was flatter, I figured I could go faster. There were a few more hills than I expected and I had just gone to a double crank from a triple a few days ago due to some issues with my bike. I certainly missed some of those gears on the hill into Catabwa. Bottle exchange went well, first attempt at that so I was pleased. One mileish section of the bike was on loose gravel chipped road, not fun, but not as terrible as it could have been.

Only issues - really had to pee on the bike, but didn't want to stop when I left T1 and didn't want to stop when I looped past again. I need to learn how to pee while swimming! Also - my butt really hurt from my seat. This surprised me because I've had zero issues in training. Being on the seat for all 56 miles instead of off and on a stop signs/red lights really made a difference. May need to look into that.

Nutrition - ate 6 peanut butter crackers, most of a Nature Valley Granola bar, 1.5 Powerade Gels, 24 oz of Gatorade, and approx 40 oz of water.

First loop done in 1.5 hours, second loop took me closer to 1:45. Felt like the wind was stronger, or I was just more tired. Great support out there from other athletes though.

Get some aerobars. Seemed like 95% of the other athletes had them. Since I pulled off 2nd in my bike AG split without them I think I could knock some decent time off with them.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Tried to run into T2, but that was so not happening, quick walked it and did what I needed to do. Extra sunscreen - wish I remembered the back of my shoulders - ouch! Finally got to pee!

More sunscreen!
Run
  • 2h 27m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt good coming into the run, not out the door fresh, but not tired. This was not a good run for me though. I ran a HM earlier this year at 1:45, others in the past had been around 2 hours. Was hoping for 2-2:10. Close to 2:30 was a huge disappointment, especially considering that I pride myself in generally being one of the better runners when it comes to tris. Only one person in my AG was slower than me. Ouch.

Issues -
It was hot, but not unbearably so, was really hoping the bike path would be more shady. Not so much.

Legs were great, but my head was tired - a real mental game out there for me which was a new experience, hadn't encountered that. Maybe I needed more calories, I don't know. I drank Heed at every aid station and got down about 1.5 gels, but my stomach just didn't want anything solid.

Walking - I only walked the aid stations and then a bit at the end, but they were longish walks, just wanted to get the fluid in without spilling it all over myself. Last mile was brutal - walked up a big hill because my calves were seconds away from cramping up. Even had to stop with about 200m left to go, and someone pased me, not a darn thing I could do about it. I think it was fitness related rather than electrolyte though. I was maxxed out.

Train more! I followed the free 1/2 iron plan here on BT. Felt it was a little light in most disciplines and tried to supplement more biking and running. Also, I moved up my target HIM date by 2-4 weeks (had a hard time deciding which race would fit into my schedule) so I was likely a bit undertrained as well. Got in 3 or 4 50+ rides and 5 or 6 9-12 mile runs. It had been 11 weeks since my OLY, but there was a week when I was on vacation in mid July where I didn't do anything.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a bottle of water and my medal. Was there food here?!?! Because I never found any and thought that was REALLY REALLY weird. I didn't see others eating either.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First HIM, I'm pleased that I finished and I think if I have better/more training next time I could cut off a bunch of time. In other tris I really thought they were a lot of fun. This one was less so and makes me question whether distance tris are what I really want to be doing. However, I love the long distance training.

Event comments:

It was $100, so there wasn't a lot of expectations here. But the lack of post race food, or lack of having it obvious was pretty bad. Volunteers were great, the 16 aid stations on the run were a lifesaver. Hats off to the other athletes though. So encouraging, especially when all I could do was nod or whisper thanks.

Last updated: 2011-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:15 | 2112 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 81/127
Performance: Good
Suit: Profile Design Sleeveless
Course: Double loop
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:12:26 | 56 miles | 17.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 107/127
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
02:27:42 | 13.1 miles | 11m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 94/127
Performance: Below average
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-08-23 11:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon

2011-08-23 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3655357

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon
Congratulations on your first Half. You had a kick-butt time, even if you could have done better.

I can imagine the run got pretty warm. There wasn't a whole lot of shade, and the hill at the end was totally rude.

I did the mini, and felt like a slacker when I was seeing you guys come in on the bike as I was leaving the race.

JC
2011-08-23 3:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
I was so jealous of all of you leaving! There was a great turn out for the Sprint and Mini, and yes that hill was rude!
2011-08-23 7:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Nice race!  I can't even imagine what it would be like to complete this distance.  I felt I was sucking the lake on 1 lap, if I had to make a turn and do it again,,, I would of been on the kayaks being carried in!!  Cool

Keep up the training, I agree some of the basic plans leave a little to be desired in quantity but at least it is somewhat of a guide.

2011-08-23 11:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Nice race.  I'm sure we saw each other at some point on the run course!  You didn't see the food?!  There was PJ&J, water mellons, etc...and COOKIES.  Sorry you missed out...I don't think I ate all the food, but I was in another world
2011-08-24 4:47 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Nice job Maggie on your first HIM Maggie.  I think your second one should be Honu 70.3

2011-08-24 6:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
That's what I'm thinking too, Erica!
2011-08-25 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran

Great job!

It was a Muscle Milk tent there, their stuff is good, especially it was for free! ))Laughing

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed