Odyssey TriSport, LLC
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 6s
Overall Rank = 17/175
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 1/12
Pre-race routine:

Well, I had signed up for this race way back in January, and by the time August rolled around i was tired and not in the mood to race, but after problem after problem, i decided i would go and race with my buddy Jeff. It was supposed to be a 4 day family weekend that ended up me going alone Saturday till Sunday, a lot of travel for a 2+ hour race.

After the previous races this year i was tired and my wife was short on patience, and her work schedule was overloaded, i pretty much took all of August off, with an occasional ride or run here, September came, and i started running a little more, but not more than 3 miles. I had put 8-9 lbs back on and my diet had sucked, so i really had no goals for this race, no pressure, just eat drink race and be merry.

Rhode island ferry broke and at the last minute i had to reschedule to another ferry just to add insult to injury.

Once i got to the Island it all got better, Jeff Picked me up, we went to check in, rode our bikes for a half hour or so, and headed to his house.

Few beers there, out to a late lunch early dinner, few more beers, home and 3/4 bottle of chiraz, and asleep by 0830.
Event warmup:

Jeff and I did a little 2-300 meter swim, and ran about a mile or so. wind was strong and gusty, but it was cool temp wise. i just figured with the lack of training i would see what i had, and if i had to race it on guts alone over training and preparation.
Swim
  • 24m 58s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

THIS SWIM WAS EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wind was up, surf was big and hard, 3-4 foot rollers and breakers. Huge current against to the first buoy, and with you the rest of the race. This is what open water ocean swimming is all about, big waves, up and down them, breath, try to site on top of a wave, point your body and go. Being tossed around like a rag doll. the swim waves were small, we had 12 guys in ours, no one to draft, just kinda swim and go in the general direction you need to go. Got to the first turn pretty well, felt good, relaxed and started out to the point, the current which was hurting is now helping, it felt like i had a motor in my butt. At one point i was going along and went to breat just as a breaker and roller hit me, big gulf of salt water, rolled on my back, and coughed and blew it out, water coming from my throat and lungs like a whales blowhole!!! turn back over and continue on. rode the waves in to shore, got out and looked at my watch...AWESOME, so much better than the 35 mins i was figuring.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Get into T1, got out quick, went to do flying mount and MISSED!!!!!! landed on the boys and naval, held onto bike and somehow i did not fall off, it was freaking hilarious!!!!

everything
Bike
  • 1h 05m 11s
  • 25 miles
  • 23.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, since i had not ridden much, i just figured i would hammer till i had nothing left and hang on, wind was strong and gusty, i had a disc and tri-spoke and it was a handful. averaged over 24 for first 13, then i was running on fumes, i had power, but not much endurance, so i rode it like an interval session, coasted when i could without losing speed, and took it easy on the few hills there were. I lost 1 full mph in the last 5 miles, due to the road going up a bit, more corners, heavy wind and fatigue. All in all a good ride.

train
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Standard T2, smooth and quick. I walked out of T2, which i usually run, legs were a little crampy and i was not really rushing.

nothing
Run
  • 51m 29s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Other than the missed turn for the finish, this was my best run EVAH!!!! Came out of T2, and calves were a little tight, shuffled along a bit, things were going well, got to first aid station and walked it, took some water and gatorade. no mile markers so i was running on feel, and i kept feeling better and better, passed some gorgeous oceanfront homes and a few competitors. came down a hill and there were some kids handing out water, so i asked a little girl if she wanted to trow it on me, her face lit up like a christmas tree, i bent over, she tossed the water and MISSED!!!! i laughed and told her to get another cup and try again...this time...BULLSEYE, right in my grille, choked on it a bit, she was elated. Best 15 seconds i ever wasted running!!! By about mile 3 i got a partner, he was from 3 waves ahead, he just shook his head when i told him i was wave 7, and he said, great i was wave 4, lol. We ran the rest of the race together and BS'd. His name was Kevin, we chit chatted and ran and talked some more, he asked what my goals were, and i said that i was hoping to run 9's or so, helaughed and said, yeah...we're running a little quicker than that, i asked how much, he goes....like 7:45's. WOWZER, this is a good run. So we are getting ready to finish, and one volunteer tells us to make 2 lefts, so we go along the back and side ofthe finishers park, get to the last corner and there is no markings or signs, where do we go???? the volunteer says go straight, but that seems wrong, i turn around and ask the lady behind, she says go straight.....hmmmmmm, kevin and i look at each other, both knowing its wrong, but we go straight. we go a few minutes and i turn to the lady and ask, finishing or starting?? She goes...STARTING...ARRRRGGGGHHHHH, i reply, we are done...we missed the turn in. FFFFAAAAQQQQQQQQ, so we hit the next left and head back towards the park, a volunteer lady yells, you are going the wrong way, i yess, we are done, there is no volunteer directing the finishers at the last corner and we just ran 4 minutes extra, so goes....OH.... head down finishers chute and done. What should have been a 46-47min 10, was now 51 mins. It would have been a 4 minute PR for me and top 10 overall race. But i do not play the iffa woulda coulda shoulda game, i screwed up, and paid the penalty.

not miss last corner, other than that, my best 10k ever
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, ate a ton, best food ever

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training in the last month

Event comments:

this was the first year. I am giving a bunch of passes on stoopid things like no water at finish and such. The RD poured his heart and soul into making this race happen, It was understaffed and unorganized. He still pulled off a great race for 90% of it. He knows what went wrong, he knows what went right, and by meeting and talking to the man, i know the next version will be light years better prepared.

As far as destination races go, the Vineyard in September is breath takingly gorgeous, the weather is perfect, and a great way to spend a long weekend with friends and family.

I would say that i would HIGHLY recommend this race, even with all the snafu's, just for the sheer enjoyment of the event. It will get better, the RD will make it so, and then it will be one you HAVE to do.

Last updated: 2011-01-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:58 | 1500 meters | 01m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 61/175
Performance: Good
Suit: neosport sleeveless
Course: diamond shape course, 3-4 foot rollers and heavy surf.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:05:11 | 25 miles | 23.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 3/175
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: rolling flat circuit of some of the most beautiful scenery i have ever ridden on
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 96
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:29 | 06.21 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 81/175
Performance: Good
Course: on big loop out along coastline and inland finish in park
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-09-13 10:09 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: Vineyard Warrior

2011-09-13 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3684133

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Vineyard Warrior
Nice race report, Rudy.  You are a beast.  I can't believe you pulled off those times after taking a month off.  You really have a lot of potential!!!  Awesome job!  I am so proud of you. 
2011-09-13 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Great job Rudy! Those splits are terrific!
2012-12-05 12:22 PM

User image

Cape Cod
Thanks Rudy, I am going to put this one on the list for '13!
2012-12-05 9:20 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Aweet speedy work!! Other than that run course missed turn a fantastic day!  Congratulations!
2012-12-05 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3684412

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
bryancd - 2011-09-13 12:09 PM Great job Rudy! Those splits are terrific!
  YEAH!  NO KIDDING!! GREAT JOB, RUUUUUUUUUUDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineyard Warrior Rss Feed