REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 43m 38s
Overall Rank = 14/428
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/60
Pre-race routine:

Pre Race was different with a wave start of 8:25 it was a slow relaxed morning. I got to transition around 6:45 put my nutrition on my bike, dropped my shoes, helmet, and glasses and then went back to the hotel to relax.
I got to the swim start about 20 minutes before my wave to put on my wetsuit...easy morning
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 37m 30s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Lake Erie this weekend wasn't the nastiest lake/water I've ever been in, but it wasn't great. Near 0 visibility in the water.
What would you do differently?:

Swim Harder
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

It was a long run to transition. The wetsuit strippers were great, but my suit did get a little stuck on my timing chip.

I need to speed up my T1 time! I could have been on the age group podium if my transition was 1 minute (or even 30 seconds) faster.
Bike
  • 2h 33m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.95 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the fastest I've ever rode for 56 miles. I faded in the last 7 miles as there was a decent headwind coming back into Cedar Point. While my second 27miles was about 1mph slower than the first 29miles I was very happy with my bike performance today.

For the future...build more endurance in the 22+mph range.

Maybe 1 more GU on the bike would have helped me to not fall off my pace in the closing miles.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

I was told I was about 15th by a volunteer in T2. He was a little off, but it was great motivation knowing I was so close to the front.

Nothing, this was a good T2 for me...Although I did lose about 10-20 seconds when I had to fix one of my shoes. My sock got messed up when I put on my first shoe and it would not have been a good 1/2 marathon if I didn't take the time to fix it.
Run
  • 1h 29m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my fastest 1/2 Ironman run ever, it felt great, but hurt a little. In the closing mile I definitely felt like I had left it all out on the course.

Similar to the bike, I may carry 1 additional GU just in case, however I don't think I needed or could have handled another GU in this run.
Post race
Warm down:

No real warm down exercise, but I got some ART done (which was awesome!) at the race and had a post race/post travel massage on Monday.

I didn't try the 'Recovery Pump' tent, but may do so at the Anderson Race.

There was plenty of water, gatorade, and muscle milk at the end of the race to help get recovered.
I never did find the athlete food tent, but wasn't looking to hard either. I had lunch at Friday's with my family afterwards and I'm sure the celebratory Bacon Cheeseburger was better than the race food :)
I finished off the night with a few slices of pizza and couple beers once I was back at home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim: Just need more time at the pool and more speed work
Bike: Not enough training at 22-23mph on the bike.
Run...Nothing.

Event comments:

This was my first Rev3 event. I am very pleased with the race production, logistics, transition, etc. The volunteers were great in Cedar Point and despite starting a little late, the race was very well run. I'm looking forward to Rev3 Anderson, SC and maybe one or two of their races next year.

Last updated: 2011-09-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:30 | 1931 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 20/60
Overall: 108/428
Performance: Average
The muddy entry and exit and waist deep water at 100 yards out from the beach slowed my swim time a little. I think my actual swim was about 35min.
Suit: Sleeveless Wetsuit
Course: Single Loop Triangular Course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:33:03 | 56 miles | 21.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/60
Overall: 41/428
Performance: Good
Nutrition: 600 Calories Infinit + 300 calories of GU and 4x24oz bottles of water.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and Back with a loop. Lots of flats inbetween rolling hills with a couple short climbs to keep you honest. The bike course today was the 'alternate bike course' as the original course was not possible due the construction of a bridge not being finished.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:29:19 | 13.1 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/60
Overall: 14/428
Performance: Good
Negative Split Run!!! First 4.4miles: 7:03/mile Last 8.7miles: 6:42/mile Nutrition: 4 Pineapple Roctane (miles 2, 5, 8 and 11), 1 or 2 waters at every aid station, 1 cup of gatorade.
Course: Flat with one hill on the cedar point causway. Lots of little out and back sections on this course made it easy to see the competition.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-15 8:40 AM

North Carolina
Subject: Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev

2011-09-15 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3687580

User image

Expert
C-bus
Subject: RE: Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev

Wow, you're a speedy runner!!!! Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev Rss Feed