United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 33m 7s
Overall Rank = 1241/2220
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 52/99
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, grabbed my stuff, grabbed a bagel, and head out. I tracked down the Buttercups and got Doug to be my bike tech and put air in my race wheels (I only borrowed three different pumps in the process). We got all tatted up and I was confused by the camera guy standing there while Steph was pouring water from a bottle to put the tattoo on. Then we stood in the port-o-let line where we learned from a pro that in the pro toilets they have someone there to wipe your butt for you ;)
Event warmup:

Warmup was treading water waiting for the start. It got very crowded about 5 minutes before the start...I do not dig being in close proximity to lots of people while treading water.
Swim
  • 1h 11m 40s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was prepared to get pummeled the first length and around the first buoy but not to be pummeled the entire swim. It got old...quick. By the end I was about to start throwing punches. I am just not cut out for full contact swimming. Time-wise was really good though considering how little time I put in the pool this year. It appears I'm a new disciple of the Brown dog school of "don't waste your time swimming"
What would you do differently?:

Hmmm...swim so fast that everyone was chasing me and I had clean water? Yeah.....right.
Transition 1
  • 08m 7s
Comments:

Considering the distance we had to cover, this is a good time. I recovered quickly from the hulk rage I developed during the swim and was able to get what I needed to do done.

Nada.
Bike
  • 6h 45m 34s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Same old story. I felt great until the lower back pain started. Luckily it wasn't nearly as bad as Louisville but I definitely dropped the pace on the second loop as a result. Stopping at special needs and getting off the bike helped and at an aid station before the hills I stopped (but stayed on the bike) and stood up and stretched some.

Figure out a way to keep the back pain from starting.
Transition 2
  • 05m 58s
Comments:

Again. Pretty good but I just had to forget something and run back in transition to get it. This time it was my visor and I saw right away where they put my bag so I didn't lose too much time.

Not forget my visor (I never even saw it)
Run
  • 5h 21m 48s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

First off, I could tell that I didn't stay hydrated on the bike because I was downing fluids like crazy at the aid stations. The run felt a lot hotter than Louisville (probably because I was off the bike so much earlier). The first 3 miles my HR was in Zone 5 (according to my Garmin) and I had that moment of terror that it was going to bite me big time in the end. So I slowed the pace and took a couple of extra walking breaks to try to get it down. Then (after the crazy hill), I settled into a rhythm and started trucking along. My stomach felt a little off so I didn't dare eat anything and stuck to liquids for most of the run. I really enjoyed the run and tried to take in the whole experience and smile at people who were out supporting the race. My low point came around mile 12 when I was headed towards the capitol to turn around for the second lap. I saw the "Mile 25" signs and started wondering how many of the people I was running with were on their second lap and almost done. I loved seeing my buddies along the way and was really psyched to finally see Steph at the last turn around. She caught me around mile 25 and told me to run with her. I didn't want her to slow down because of me (especially since she was kicking a$$ and taking names) but she insisted I run with her. Now, I was still feeling pretty decent at that point but once I started running at that pace, that decent feeling left pretty quickly and I started thinking I may pass out before the finish line. Steph was teasing me that I kept trying to pull in front and drop her but the truth was that I was trying to take the turns as tight as I could so I get a moment to catch my breath while she caught up...nope she just picked up the pace more. It was really cool to cross the finish line with her.

Run faster....yep. Who doesn't want to run faster? I guess not dump as much ice on me and try to avoid the dreaded pinky toe blisters.
Post race
Warm down:

Trying not to pass out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm sure only training for 3 1/2 months had some effect and the crazy hours I pulled at work the weeks leading up to the race probably did too. But, I just need to become a faster cyclist and runner.

Event comments:

I loved this race and loved the whole experience.

Last updated: 2011-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:11:40 | 4224 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/99
Overall: 626/2220
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Two times around the rectangle course
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:07
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:45:34 | 112 miles | 16.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 43/99
Overall: 1268/2220
Wind: Some
Course: That bike path was ridiculous. People's stuff was flying all over the place.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:21:48 | 26.2 miles | 12m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 52/99
Overall: 1241/2220
Ha! First mile was 9:00, second was 10:50, third was 10:38, fourth was 11:26, and then... Mile 26 was 10:40
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-19 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2011-09-20 5:32 AM
in reply to: #3692926

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Great job on managing the whole race.  It was hot out there and you perservered!
2011-09-20 8:28 AM

User image

Master

I seriously thought you were pulling ahead because you wanted to go faster.  And I was wondering if I could hang with you all the way to the finish.

Ha!  It's pretty funny now that I think about it. : )  I guess we were both a little (A LOT) loopy by that point.

2011-09-20 2:20 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Congrats on your day!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed