United States
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 55s
Overall Rank = 369/436
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 32/38
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 7:30. Had coffee , cereal and milk. Drove to Duxbury beach and racked my bike. Drove to the High scool and set up T2 and got body marked.
Then I went home again and put on my race clothes, had a banana and PB and relaxed for a while. The race didn't start till 11:30 I had picked up my chip and numbers the day before
Event warmup:

Jogged/walked over 1/2 mile bridge to put my shirt in T1-jogged back to the beginning.
Put on wetsuit and swam for about 10 minutes-the water was cold! My face was freezing. I was glad to have rented the wetsuit. I felt comfortable in the water. Little did i know what was to come.
Swim
  • 20m 43s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goggles broke about 30 seconds before my wave started. I was freaked out swimming without them! The first hundred yards or so were ok even though I couldn't see. Then I totally started having trouble breathing. I felt like the wet suit was constricting my neck. I did side stroke, breast stroke, back stroke and crawl and tried to get my breathing under control. Didn't work.
I saw a few people taking a breather on kayaks and I really wanted to do that. Luckily for me, I never got close enough to take advantage because I may never have let go. I am a slow but steady swimmer in a lake or pool. I don't know what is up with this ocean stuff. It seemed endless!!
What would you do differently?:

Don't break my goggles...of all times for it to happen..
Swim longer distances in a wetsuit to see if it really affects my breathing.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I think I took about 3:30 or longer in T1. I was so out of breath! I had trouble with the wetsuit even though I used lots of bodyglide I took my time getting my shoes and socks on. Then we had to bag our wetsuits and other T1 stuff up because it needed to be delivered to T2, which was also the finish line.
Turned out they didn't deliver the bags as planned. We had to drive back out over the bridge to get them after the race. No big deal. A few people seemed annoyed.

Practice getting out of the wetsuit quickly.
Get yankz for my running shoes.(no bike shoes for me yet)
Move my lazy butt!
Bike
  • 53m 56s
  • 13.7 miles
  • 15.24 mile/hr
Comments:

I feel like I gave it my all on the bike and even passed quite a few people.
I feel cheated because both transition times are figured into the bike. I actually did the bike in 48:30 which averages just under 17 mph. That is a really good pace for me.

Keep riding.
I would like to get a bike that fits me instead of my husbands old 56 cm.one. OK bike, just way to big for me.
I also would like clip-in pedals and shoes, instead of the cages.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

When I was coming into T2, I saw my husband and kids sitting by the side of the road. Naturally they didn't see me, even though I yelled to them several times.
Leaving T2 I stopped, yelled, waved my arms and tried to get their attention some more to no avail. I realized that I was wasting precious time so I finally left. They never saw me.

Just go.
Run
  • 35m 15s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm still a pretty slow runner. I'm working on it.
I stopped and walked through all the water stations. I made sure to thank all the kids who were handing out the water and gatoraid.
Lots of people on the sides of the road shouting encouragement which was great.

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Went out to the side of the road where my husband and kids still were, supposedly waiting for me to come in on the bike. I guess they don't think very highly of me.
My husband was convinced that I was in an ambulance that they heard go by.
My 10 year old daughter was seriously bummed out that she didn't get to see me race at all. She had the camera all ready to take my picture.
She stayed with me for the after race stuff. Husband and son went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim really killed me. I thought it would never end. I really need to practice swimming in the OCEAN if I want to do triathlons in the OCEAN.
I think I said the same thing in my first race report.
Considering that this is only my second tri I am happy with my accomplishments. Last year at this time I wasn't physically active and could not run/bike/swim at all. I had just quit smoking!

Event comments:

I wished that they had some real food. They had yogurt, breakfast cookies and trail mix bars and thats all I saw. They did give away some nice prizes so I'm glad I stayed. I got a nice running hat

Last updated: 2005-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:43 | 880 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 384/436
Performance: Bad
Suit: Ironman full
Course: Swim alongside Powder Point Bridge,which is a long wooden bridge in Duxbury harbor. We were supposed to keep the orange buoys on our left but the current was pushing everone over. I ended up on the wrong side of the buoys a few times. Of course I couldn't see out of my burning eyes (no goggles).
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:56 | 13.7 miles | 15.24 mile/hr
Overall: 330/436
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Ride out over the wooden bridge that we just swam beside and head out straight, some rolling hills. A long loop turn-around and we headed back in the same direction. At an intersection we turned right an did another loop and headed back the way we came. Instead of going back to Duxbury Beach we took a left and went to Duxbury High School, which was T2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:15 | 03.3 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 397/436
Performance: Average
Course: A big loop through residential area. Pretty views of the harbor, Very scenic. Lots of water stops.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-09-19 11:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
Subject: Duxbury Beach Sprint Triathlon

2005-09-20 8:24 AM
in reply to: #249915

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Duxbury Beach Sprint Triathlon

Well, for losing your goggles you did really good, I think.

As far as food - you learn to pack some stuff in for yourself just in case, cause man sometimes you are starving afterwards.

Great job!

2005-09-20 9:25 AM

User image

South Shore, Massachusetts
Great Job! I'd be done if my goggles broke. My contacts would get flushed out and I'd need a seeing eye dog for the rest of the race. I was in the 2nd wave and you are right, the swim was tough. It was flat, but the current seemed stronger than the other times I've swum across. But you didn't stop, you kept going. I also know a few other people who had wetsuit issues. One of them actually turned around and took his wetsuit off and went out with a late wave. It really does take getting used to. I can't remember if you said you did the practice swim or not. That helps me build my confidence.

It's too bad you missed your family. That is my favorite part of the race. I love to hear my kids and familiy cheering me on. My wife has found a few good spots to wait for me to go by.

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. I had them put "BT" on the back of my left calf. That's what we did at the Cranberry Tri in Lakeville so that the Beginner Triathlete folks could all spot each other. I didn't see any other BT'ers at Duxbury.

Congratulaltions again. Great job.

Keep it going. See you next year.

Joe
2005-09-20 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
YEAH!!! congrats!!!  Those are all decent times and you should be proud of youself. Fantastic self improvement over where you were last year. 180 degree turn!!

I did this race a few years ago and I loved it. The whole course was scenic. yup, I remember the pain in the neck about t-1 and t-2. Nice to see that they are continuing this race though.

Great job!
2005-09-20 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
BIG HUG & LOUD CHEER!!!!!
It'r remarkable you kept your cool and did your thing- I can totally relate to your ocean thng!
I think you should reward yourself for all the travails with your very own bike with clipless- SANTA can bring it !! Just consider it an unavoidable household emergency!Qualifies in MY book!!
oh- and @ new pairs of goggles- (with or without glitter- you choose ! )

Edited by isis54 2005-09-20 10:11 AM
2005-09-20 11:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
Thanks for the replies guys.
I actually did much better when I did the practice swim, chop and all, with goggles and NO wetsuit.
I really did enjoy the course, it was a beautiful day and it's very scenic. I can't wait to do it again next year and beat my time!

I didn't see anyone with BT on their calf... but thats a really good idea.
I hope next year I'll be ready to do an olympic distance--Cranberry County is my goal.
Yes, I really hope Santa brings me a bike this year. I really do deserve it after all... LOL . Getting on and off that big bike is tough.

2005-09-20 7:44 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great Job...way to push thru the swim and finish. Now both your Tris have been ocean swims...but without goggles...yikes!!

Sounds like a beautiful course but strange T1 & T2 in different locations.

Hope to see you at Bay State and at some races.

Yes, I think Santa should bring you lots of tri toys (bike of course) since you have been such a good girl this year...turning around your life, getting fit and motiviating your kids to pursue athletic competition too!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duxbury Beach Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed