Mary M Gooley Hemophilia Center
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 22s
Overall Rank = 43/239
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/21
Pre-race routine:

Drank lots of water the night before, two bathroom trips during the night, more water during the first, couldn't get back to sleep after the second. Up at 5:00am, ate some breakfast and headed to the race, arrived shortly after 6:00am.
Event warmup:

Walking around, a short job, a little stretching. Typical of my warmups. Had two NoDoz Max pills and a Gu about an hour before the start time. Drank some additional water and sports drink.
Swim
  • 15m 56s
  • 792 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was very shallow, most of the time only waist deep. I did more of a freestyle with my arms and pushing off the bottom. This was allowing me to pass many of the folks in my wave and was taking less energy than my normal swim stroke.
What would you do differently?:

Well, next year I hope to be able to freestyle much better and then I won't have to resort to side stroke and other means to propell myself around the course.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Hey, they changed the configuration around in the transition area after I left to head to the starting line. Added another row for bikes for all those that couldn't arrive when they should have. Thus it took me a few extra seconds to find my bike.

Get a better bearing on my bike using objects that aren't going to move or can't be moved.
Bike
  • 41m 21s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.86 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok, based on www.map24.com, my odometer in my truck and my bike computer, this course was really 13.88 miles and not 13. Thus I averaged 20.14mph on the bike course. The speed bumps were a major pain in the butt.

Practice more with the clipless, took a few extra seconds to get into my shoes which were mounted on the bike, though I was moving while doing that. Almost took a spill coming out of them at the end, but recovered very nicely.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

T2 went very well, knew where my bike was going to go. Got a slight cramp in my left calf when putting on my running shoes, used the bike rack to stretch it a bit while I put on my right shoe.

Practice with the clipless pedals a bit. Went smoothly other than that.
Run
  • 24m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my fastest pace of the year for a Tri. Beating my goal of 8:30 per mile.

Given my shape right now there wasn't much I was going to do to run faster. This winter and next year I will work more on my run pace, guess my 2006 goal is to run 7:30 or better per mile in a Sprint Tri.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched and drank water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The 15-20lbs of additional weight, technically still a Clydesdale at 205lbs. Winter workout plan is to drop some additional weight, work on my swim stoke, bike endurance and speed as well as my run endurance and speed.

Event comments:

The only down parts were there wasn't any water for a good portion of the run, seems someone missed setting up one of the water stations about the 1 mile mark. Only other down side were the speed bumps towards the end of the bike and the distance calculation.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:56 | 792 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/21
Overall: 67/239
Performance: Good
Out of the water in about 15 minutes, took about a minute to jog up to T1.
Suit: None
Course: Out and back rectangle with a short (10-20yd) end. Shallow and sandly lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:14
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:21 | 13 miles | 18.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/21
Overall: 27/239
Wind: Some
Course: Flat for a bit, up the hills, then down hill and flat to the finish. Speed Bumps on the road near the end of the course. Chip Seal on the first uphill that had been put down about 4-5 weeks ago. Wasn't in too bad of condition as long as you didn't get too close to the side of the road. Not much traffic so it was easy to ride away from the edge a bit.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:58 | 03.11 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/21
Overall: 99/239
HR was running about 165 for the entire run.
Course: Flat loop. Side walk running and some roads. A little bit of grass for the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1.5%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-09-20 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY
Subject: Finger LakesTriathlon - Sprint

What can I say.  This was my A race of the year, the one I trained the hardest for and it showed.  I beat all three of my short term goals in this race.  Under 90 minutes total, over 20mph on the bike (when you take into account the actual distance and not what it's listed at) and under 8:30 per mile on the run.  At this point I can't complain about being in the top 20% of all finishers.  I have to give a big thanks to my wife and son for the support they've given in the last six weeks with my morning and afternoon workouts and of course a big thanks to all of you here that have given support and advice.

It's time for a week or two off and then start setting the goals for next year and working on the winter time training plans.

Edited by tolefanjh 2005-09-20 7:40 AM

2005-09-20 4:21 PM
in reply to: #249969

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY
Subject: RE: Finger LakesTriathlon - Sprint

Hmm, does anyone check the results after a race.  Just noticed on the posted race results two things that seem a bit strange.

First, a 13 year old male, ran the 5k portion of the sprint in 9:10, that's 2:57 per mile, what the heck is he running this race for when he should be on the Olympic Team and a world record holder.

Second, the 5th place finisher in the Olympic Distance averaged 31.8mph on the bike (next closest was 24.9mph) and then ran a 10k in 28:27, wow 4:35 per mile after riding that fast.  Good thing he can bike and run cause it took him nearly an hour to swim the mile.

I don't know why I'm bothered by this, but you'd think someone would do a sanity check on the results.  Since the races run basically at the same time on courses that overlap, there needs to be a better way to watch for those not going they way they should be.  Guess when you have 400 some racers, having two that went the wrong way isn't all that bad.  Though both these folks did get the hardware that went with the age group wins that they didn't really earn.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

2005-09-20 4:25 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Amazing job! What a great feeling to accomplish all of your goals after lots of hard work!!! Congratulatons, especially on that killer run!Jess
2005-09-20 4:40 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Ah HA so that is what you look like ..Nice job....told you you were worrying for no erason Congrats
2005-09-26 6:54 PM
in reply to: #250456

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY

I hate races!!!!  Just kidding.  Well, they fixed those messed up times.  It also seems that they took a minute off several swim times and now I was 46th and not 43rd.  Guess I can live with that, I still did my best and met my goals.

Well, the best part is, they fixed the bike distance.  I did the course in 41:21 for a speed of 20.2mph!!!!!  13.92 miles, which is close to the 13.88 I measured on my bike computer.

Chris.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger LakesTriathlon - Sprint Rss Feed