Leading Edge Promotions
16C / 61F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 2s
Overall Rank = 37/250
Age Group = F2029
Age Group Rank = 3/44
Pre-race routine:

Not very good. Went to a party the night before at Heather's place in Kitsilano. At least I slept over night at Heather's place which was near the race. Went to bed at 1:20pm and woke up at 7:30am. Luckily I was well rested the last few night leading up to the race.

Had a bowl of Vector (my pre race meal) and a bottle of water and drove to the race site. Arrived at 8am and picked up my bib and then set up my transistion near Laura.
Event warmup:

Ran in flip flops from the transistion area back to the car with Laura to find some lube for Dave Scott. Did find any. Then ran back to the transistion area to drop off our keys and pick up our goggles and caps then ran out to the pool. Damn I just realized that I left my flip flops in a bush near the pool at UBC. Chris leave them alone!

Waited around as the race was late to start and I started in the middle of the pack for the swim.
Swim
  • 10m 42s
  • 600 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

The ranking includes T1. I had a nice relaxing swim though I had to pass at least 4 people who seeded themselves incorrectly. Dan started right after me which I believe was 30 seconds after me and I could see him in the pool when I took a breath. After passing, I had clear water for the last 300m. I got out of the pool using the ladder just before the wall. I had seen Laura do that and it looked like the easiest way.
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself with faster swimmers.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

A longish run from the pool deck to the transistion area. I took my cap and googles off while I was running. Once in transistion it was just put on my socks, shoes and helmet and then go. Sunglasses were put on while I was running to the mount line.

Thread the glasses in my brake cables and put them on while riding.
Bike
  • 34m 3s
  • 18 kms
  • 31.72 km/hr
Comments:

Okay I'm going with my watch time and not the official time on this one because I think that they got it wrong. 27 minutes was just not right and that would mean that I had the fastest bike time of 250 people. Yeah right.

Started off slow to get up to a comfortable speed. Dan whizzed past me and told me to draft, but I didn't feel right about it. What was I thinking? After getting caught up in another pack and working with them, I cursed myself for not getting in Dan's draft. I saw Dan just ahead of me on the whole bike route (that Javelin gear really stands out), but I didn't see him right at the end.

The ending was kind of tough because it's a sharp turn and then your at the dismount line, so you can't really jump off your bike. There's some speed bumps and conjestion at the last straightaway and at the turnarounds too.

Draft off of Dan at the beginning.

Okay in a race with officials, nothing. I had a good bike. Good gear changes to keep me at optimal cadance.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

This transistion was fast even though the dismount line kind of snuck up on you. No time to jump off the bike. I just ran into the transistion area racked my bike by the brakes (there was a lot of room on my rack) and undid my helmet before I racked my bike. Hey there were no officials.

Make sure I know where the exit to begin the run is.
Run
  • 25m 19s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 04s  min/km
Comments:

I didn't drink anything on the run. There was one water station that was accessible at the 1 kilometer mark and the 4 kilometer mark, but I didn't need a drink. As I was running, I was thinking about how perfect the weather was and how easy it was to keep cool.

I'm quite pleased with this run. I think this is a 5km PR for me though I haven't run that many 5km. The times are consistent with some of my training runs lately and my 10km PR was 55minutes early in the season and I did a lot of running in the summer, so I'm not really surprised with my time though extremely happy.

Note that my official time was 29 minutes which does not jive with my watch time. Neither does my bike time though so I think that my times might not have been recorded accurately there.

Push myself harder at the beginning because I still had some energy at the end. It's hard for me to do because I'm always worried that I will run out of energy or that I'll get a side stitch.
Post race
Warm down:

Turned around and watched Dan come in right after I did. Didn't do much cool down though I got some food for my spectators. ;)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More sleep on race night. Probably a warm up though it's very difficult to do. You can't get in the pool to warm up and you have to stand on the pool deck at least half an hour before you actually start.

Event comments:

The loops on the bike course were a bit boring, so the course wasn't the best though the run course was nice.

There were no timing chips and I think my times were not recorded correctly. My swim time with T1 was close to what I recorded, but my official bike time was too short and my official bike time was too long. As well my official time seemed about 2.5 minutes to short and didn't really seem to correspond to Dan's time who started 30 seconds after me and finished about 30 seconds or less after me.

There were not enough volunteers in the transistion area. When I ran to T1 there was no volunteer to hand my wrist band to, so I had to hand it on the way out making my swim time appear longer than it was (though my bike time appeared shorter than it was). Leaving T2 I didn't know exactly which way to head out on the run course and there was no one around to ask.

The race started late and we were all standing around on the pool deck waiting. Also the 30 second intervals for seeding people 11 minutes to 11.5 minutes stand here were way to big and caused some people to see themselves incorrectly. Or it could have been a 11.5 minute swimmer standing in front of me with an estimate of a 11 minutes swim. The UBC tri is way better at organizing this. They ask you to estimate your swim time when you register, then assign you a race number based on your swim time. You are welcome to move around in order on race day, but at least there was an order.

Chatted with Dan and Laura and Callum for a bit at the end and got to see Leah at the finish. It was cool that there were so many BTers there and that's the reason that I did this race. Laura gave me a ticket to the Fringe Festival, so I went to that afterward. Thanks Laura.

Next race will be off to support Laura in Hawaii. It's looking like a go for me. I can't wait!

Last updated: 2005-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:42 | 600 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/44
Overall: 54/250
Performance: Average
Suit: Javelin Tri Suit
Course: 6 laps (up and back) of a 50m outdoor pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:03 | 18 kms | 31.72 km/hr
Age Group: 1/44
Overall: 22/250
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 3 loops of an out and back and uphill both ways. Really! Okay there was long gradual hills both ways and some downhills both ways. Kind of a boring route.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:19 | 05 kms | 05m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 9/44
Overall: 74/250
Performance: Good
Course: Out to a gravel trail, around the trails and then back toward the transistion. The way back was right beside the bike route, so I could see the cyclists on the course. We were all cheering for each other.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2005-09-20 2:05 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: Pacific Spirit Triathlon
Here is my race report using my watch times not the official times as I think that they are off.

Nice seeing you again Laura, Leah, Dan and Scott.

Jen

Edited by jeng 2005-09-20 2:07 PM

2005-09-20 2:07 PM
in reply to: #250327

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Pacific Spirit Triathlon
Double post.

Edited by jeng 2005-09-20 2:07 PM
2005-09-20 4:16 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Good report Jen.
Are you going to get your hardwear?
I think you looked "cute" in your outfit as well!
HA HA!
2005-09-22 10:42 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Chris Tree 2005-09-22 10:43 AM
2005-09-22 11:13 AM
in reply to: #251779

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Hah yeah relaxing swim does sound kind of funny. By that I meant that I was relaxed in the water, I didn't try to go to hard or too fast.

I didn't really have the fasted ride of all 250 competitors, though I was up in the top 10%. And the course was multiple loops, so there was always someone around you to draft off of. I got caught up in a draft though I didn't do it purposely.

Thanks for the tips, but I honestly had planned on this being my last tri for at least a year. It was nice to go out with a bang.

I think I'm in Hawaii from the Oct. 4th - Oct. 11/12th.

Jen
2005-09-22 11:51 AM

Master
South Florida
Great race, Jen...you're bike leg was awesome (naturally, biker chick)...but I'm impressed with your run and swim times, given the focus more on your bike lately..not to mention you're pre-race night!  You should be proud.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Spirit Triathlon Rss Feed