Event Power
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 43s
Overall Rank = 326/791
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 12/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, ate a Cliff bar, drove to race (got slightly lost on the way). Thought that I would have been early, but felt like I was one of the last ones there. My car was like 1/4 mile from the start. Set up transition area, realized I forgot my swim cap in the car, ran back to car, ran back, got number marked, missed race briefing (was there one?) got back to start just as first wave (men) were starting.
Event warmup:

The friggin run to my car!!!
Swim
  • 23m 55s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start was really poorly organized (2 waves for about 800 people). When they started the mens wave (first wave) many men were not even at the starting point...some were still on the beach. So, when they started the women's wave 5 min after, the first group of women started passing people less than 1 min into the race. I stuck with whom I thought was one of the lead women for most of the race, then passed her at the end. It was really hard to navigate because I was constantly swimming over bodies. Plus, because I had not heard the race briefing was not sure what the course was and there was such a mass of people ahead of me it was hard to figure out where to go anyway. I finished well. One thing I noticed is that many of the men who were finishing at the same time I did stood up way to early and had to wade through water...I ended up passing a few people simply by swimming until my hands could touch the bottom. Heard announcer call out that Wendy Ingraham had just finished second in the swim...so I was 3rd. Happy about that.
What would you do differently?:

Get to the race earlier and be better prepared so that I can hear the race briefing!
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Transition was good, but took a while to get from beach to bike and the surface we were running on was tough on bare feet. Forgot to lay out socks, so had to dig for them...but realized this during the swim, so knew where to find them. After I hopped on my bike, I had a really tough time clicking into my right pedal...so bad that I had to check and make sure nothing was stuck in the bottom of the shoe.

Prepare transition are better. Pracitice clicking into shoes more.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 45s
  • 23.61 miles
  • 18.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Because this was my first OLY distance, I didn't want to go too hard, just finish. So the bike was quite enjoyable. I got passed by about 12 hard core women and I didn't pass anyone. But enjoyed it. Felt like I had not been doing enough long bike rides to prepare though. By the end, my inner thighs and crotch were killing!!! My left knee started hurting about 10 miles in so kept the bike in the small wheel.

Do more work on the bike to prepare.
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Smooth transition apart from right foot sticking a little as I clipped out.

Practice clipping into and out of shoes.
Run
  • 1h 01m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugh. The run. While my attitude on the swim and bike was great, the run was a different story. I am pretty sure I was dehydrated and my knee was killing me. I began running about 9:15 -9:30 miles stopping for about 5 seconds at each mile where there was a drink station. After mile 3 I noticed that I was way ahead of my 3 hour goal, so instead of trying to go stronger I thought ...great I can walk some because I feel like I am about to keel over and die. The last 3 miles or so I alternated running and walking -300 steps run, 50 steps walk for first mile, 250 steps run, 50 steps walk for second mile and about 150 steps run and 150 steps walk for last mile. It was really embarassing because everyone passing me was like "Are you OK?" Like 100 people must have passed on on the run. I didn't pass anyone. But at least I finished.

Need to practice running longer distances. Also need to practice more bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, ate bagels with PBand J, orange slices. Drank like 3 ops of gatorade and a bottle of water. Stretched a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My goal was just to finish... but I think it gave me an easy way out of pushing myself harder. I could have gone faster on the bike and I should have been mentally tougher on the run.

Event comments:

I should have trained more for the run and bike portions, been better prepared in the transition area and arrived at the race earlier. With that, I was happy to have completed the race but angry with myself for walking a portion of the run. I think I am done for Triathlons this year, but will put a couple of OLY distances on the calendar for next year. Hopefully my running and biking will improve so I can kick some you know what in the whole race and not just the swim.

Last updated: 2005-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:55 | 1640 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/38
Overall: 11/791
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit
Course: down and back in a sort of rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:15:45 | 23.61 miles | 18.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 402/791
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Hilly with some sharp turns. Really pretty scenery. Strong gusts of wind over farmland areas.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:01:48 | 06.21 miles | 09m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 676/791
Performance: Bad
Course: Fairly flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-09-20 5:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Subject: Mighty Hamptons Triathlon

2005-09-21 11:26 PM
in reply to: #250498

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Mighty Hamptons Triathlon
Nice job finishing under 3 hours!
2005-09-22 10:54 AM

User image

Elite

Great race and great finish time!  Congrats.

-Michael

2005-09-22 11:18 AM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Hey you beat your time goal. Awesome. It sounds like you figured out what you need to work on, so you can expect to do even better in your next tri. Great job on the swim and the bike and your run time is nothing to cry about either.

Jen
2005-09-22 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
thanks everyone This is my first and last OLY for this season. But will plan to do at least two next summer...hopefully i'll be in better biking and running shape. I've been bit by the tri bug!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mighty Hamptons Triathlon Rss Feed