Tri and Du It Multisport
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 16s
Overall Rank = 74/245
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/21
Pre-race routine:

I got to the race sight at about 5:15 and hung out and waited for Bobby. We walked down to the transition area bout five minutes after it opened and started setting up.

After a while of hanging out, I had the chanceto just stand at the top of the beach for about 10 minutes. I thought a lot about how far I've come in triathlons and the irony that I finish by best and biggest tri season at the place where it all started over five years ago when I tagged along with Kev for my first open water swim/bike ride brick.

As I watched the sunrise I thought about what a great season it has been. I've prd nearl every race I entered and had one training break through after another. There is a lot to say here about this season but I will save it for my season in review post. Plan on working on this year.
Event warmup:

None, in retrospect, I think I shouldnhave at least swam a little bit before the race started.
Swim
  • 14m 24s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty good swim. I went out really, really fast and had a bitof a problem catching my breath at one point... At that point I told myself that I needed to just relax. Of course, I think the course was a bit short, I know I'm not a 1:38/100 swimmer, but whatever, we're all on the same course, right?

I was a little intimidated by the strong current going against us on the longest part of the swim, but it turned out not too bad. I did a great job of sighting and that is what I'm most thrilled about from this swim. When I rounded the last buoy and made my left towards the shore, I got a huge boost of energy and flew past a few people towards the swim finish chute.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Why, oh why does my suit keep getting stuck on my heels. It's a real pain in the ass.
What would you do differently?:

Again, I promise, I will learn to put on my shoes on a moving bike.
Bike
  • 46m 22s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Freaking awesome. It's a tough course and I hammered throughout the whole ride. The one really tough hill was a lot harder on the the first loop than it was on the second. The last half of each loop is fast and furious. I just did what I could to pick safe lines and stayed aero down all of the descents, picking up a lot of speed.

The thing I kept telling myself on the bike ride was, "toughen up on these hills, you did an ironman two months ago on a harder course than this and you climbed at Harriman and bear mountain and you rode the long climb on 51 countless times."

Overall, I am very happy with the ride I had today. I pushed as hard as I could not saving anything knowing only a 5k was awaiting me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Fast
Run
  • 25m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

really, what can I say? Never, never, ever in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would put together a 5k like this after a tough bike ride. I pushed, non stop, throughout the entire run.

I kept forcing myself to remember that his was it, my lastvrace of a grea year and I had to top it off in a magnificent way. I can rest after the race... Push thepaceis what I forced myself to do fom yard 1 to mile 3.1.

The winding course here can geta little tough at times, but it is very flat and fast whichis a well-deserved break from the tough bike course. At mile 1.5 I decided to empty the tank and go as hard as my legs would allow me. I started to lose it with aout 1/4 mile left but I was just so close, I hung on. I saw Bobby as I made the last turn towards the finish line. For some reason, he thought this would be the perfect moment to critique my run for... Really? Really Bobby?

Another race... Another PR!!!!!!!!!
Post race
Event comments:

Another great day and another complete race. I am so happy with how I did today, only a week after an HIM PR. I raced this as hard as I could mentally and physically and it is so satisfying.

A very special shout out to Bobby who finished 3rd in our age group. That makes two podium finishes for him this year! So cool. I'm very proud of him.

I'm also so proud of myself. After the race, I ran into a former HS lacrosse teammate of mine... He didn't recognize me! Not for the reason we usually don't recognize each other after twenty years, but because he said, (his words) I look so incredibly fit. That felt good!

Last updated: 2011-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:24 | 880 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/21
Overall: 89/245
Performance: Good
Suit: blue Seventy Sprint (Full)
Course: Triangle in the LI Sound. The water was perfect.
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:22 | 15 miles | 19.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/21
Overall: 63/245
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:25 | 03.11 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/21
Overall: 98/245
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-10-09 5:39 PM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: Cedar Beach Sprint Triathlon

2011-10-10 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3717112

User image

Subject: RE: Cedar Beach Sprint Triathlon

Exceptionally Great Job, Michael!!  And the reason I add the word 'exceptional' is because you crushed this Sprint just one week removed from going Sub 6 at a 70.3 race!!  Your HS Lacrosse buddy is spot on: you are incredibly fit.   Way to leave it all out on the course. 

p.s. We do have to work on opening your running stride a bit

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cedar Beach Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed