Dallas Athletes Racing
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 29s
Overall Rank = 29/402
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/29
Pre-race routine:

My head was not in the game the night before, my body was sore, forecast was for cold weather and I knew I wasn't going to get much sleep. wasted too much time night before trying to figure out if to wear tri top n pool with HR monitor or not, decided I would freeze on the bike with a wet top so thought screw the time and just have fun.

5 Hours sleep since HS Band Area competition was night before. Coffee and Clif Bar.
Event warmup:

None, too cold and I kept forgetting stuff and having to go back to car.
Swim
  • 06m 20s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Even group appeared to be spaced much farther apart then the odds which was nice. Passed just the girl in front of me at the first 50 turn then was by myself until the end when I had to push the last 25 to beat the odd in the other lane to the ladder.
What would you do differently?:

Wish I had a faster swimmer in front of me I could have drafted. I know I suck at swimming and can deal with it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

The cold weather caused me much angst the night before as I was trying to figure out what to wear to stay somewhat warm and not linger in T1 too long. Decided to swim w/o HR monitor and top and put HR monitor and double longsleeve running shirt on in T1. Also decided to wear socks so bike shoes were unclipped. After it seemed like it was taking for ever to get shirt on my wet ass I decided to forget about the socks, get the shoes on and get out of transition. I had the closest spot you could have to the entrance of T1 which meant I had a lot longer to run in bike shoes to get out.

Maybe nut up and don't worry about being cold on the ride.
Bike
  • 35m 43s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Since shoes were not pre clipped I didn't have to slow to get into shoes but it seemed like it took forever to get the garmin buckled on my wrist. Have to figure this out. About half way thru first loop I passed my AG winner, then he passed me..... he eventually pulled away and turned to transition when I had one loop left to do. Was the perfect opportunity to push my pace on the last lap to try to meet his time but my head wasn't with it as illustrated by my Ave HR which was lower then most other TT rides.

Got to get my head in the game.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Since I abandoned the socks T2 was uneventful except for the distance to get in and out. Feet out of shoes about 1/4 mile out hopped off bike with no issues at dismount line.

Nothing, have T2 down.
Run
  • 21m 53s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

FAIL. My legs were sooo stiff out of T2. I think I psyched myself out because hips and knees were extremely sore in the morning due to doing the mud run the day before. Legs seemed like they weren't loosened up until 2 mi into the race. Looking at HR data I could have pushed myself a lot harder aerobically, also felt same as last sprint to finish was fast and effortless.

push HR to 160s on first mile every sprint distance. 151 is 15 bpm lower then my standalone 5ks.
Post race
Warm down:

ate pancakes, fruit and chicken bowl, powerade, muscle milk. No cooldown run or stretching. Hung with training pals until awards. LTF crew took Masters, Clydsdales +40, two AG 2nds, and one AG 3rd.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Massage on Friday and/or Mudrun day before caused great knee and hip soreness the night before, add the angst of having to waste time in T1 getting warm cloths on, I was a head case, may have given up on doing well in the race the night before.

Event comments:

DA sprint races are probably the most expensive in the area but the swag and post race merits it. Race was delayed slightly but probably just as well to let the sun come up.

Last updated: 2011-09-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:20 | 328 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/29
Overall: 118/402
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 50M pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:07
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:35:43 | 12 miles | 20.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/29
Overall: 33/402
Performance: Average
146 Ave, 158 Max
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops including the double humper hills on Bear Creek Pkwy I train on.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:53 | 03 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/402
Performance: Bad
151 ave, 166 max 7:06,7:06,7:01
Course: out and back on concrete trail from natatorium.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-10-30 10:22 PM

User image

DFW, Tejas
Subject: Monster Triathlon – Keller

2011-10-31 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3744856

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: RE: Monster Triathlon – Keller
Nice job grabbing that hardware! Nice race.
2011-10-31 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3744856

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Ha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was stressing over what to wear.  Congrats on your AG award, and overcoming the creakyness....both mind and body!  Wonder if your HR could have been down a little just due to the cooler temps.  Great to hear that the Lifetime and K&S folks all had a good day! 

2011-10-31 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3746098

User image

DFW, Tejas
I count the twins as LTF guys but since they were wearing the K&S kits guess I need to give K&S props as well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Triathlon – Keller Rss Feed