Team Ortho Foundation
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 8s
Overall Rank = 2896/4681
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and drank one ensure, then gatorade on the way to the race site.
Event warmup:

Walking from the parking up to the race start, then stretching in the foyer of the church while trying to stay warm.
Run
  • 2h 08m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

One of these days, I'm not going to have a race report where I look back on what I did wrong. I'll have one of those races where I nailed it and did everything right. Until then, here we go:
This is a fun race that most folks don't really take seriously, more like a social event. I probably never thought I'd say that about a half marathon distance race! With that in mind, it was a little harder to show up, be warmed up and properly stretched, and to have the proper nutrition. And let's not forget running in a costume, which for me meant jeans and a button down, as well as a wig, beard and mustache.
I debated where to start all week leading up to the race. Breaking 2 hours is a major goal of mine right now, however I just did a HIM 6 days prior to this race and was wearing this ridiculous costume that was far from ideal. So I went ahead and started with the 2:05 pace group. I quickly got ahead of them however, my splits for the first 9 miles were;
9:29, 9:22, 9:13, 9:06, 8:54, 9:10, 9:28, 9:40, 9:30
Then I kind of crashed. From there I quickly went up into the high 10's for the rest of the race, eventually walking up a bad hill around mile 11.5. And got passed by the 2:05 pace group around that time as well, and I just had nothing left to join them. I did however find some last minute finish line burst of speed, and ran the last half mile at an 8:30 pace.
What would you do differently?:

Probably could have used one more gel, maybe around the obvious drop in performance at mile 9. And of course not run in jeans, that sucked. More mileage of course will help. The biggest thing I think is that I should have stuck with the 2:05 pacer, or at least tried to stick to an even 9:20ish pace. Dropping down into the high 8's and low 9's like I did probably hurt me more in the end than if I had stayed more consistent. It felt good at the time, but I think I paid for it later.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the finish gathering my medal and post-race nutrition. Then got in the car and drove back to Mpls. Legs felt really bad after that 15 minute car ride. Then mixed up a bottle full of Vitargo and Glutamine, drove the babysitter home, then walked around Loring Park with the kids, eventually ending up at Dunn Bros which is always good. Walking a few miles did wonders for my legs and it's all good now!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of performance apparel. Maybe some recovery still needed from Austin 70.3.

Event comments:

Regarding the drink stations, there were plenty, but I felt as though they weren't as organized and I had to slow down alot more than I normally do at aid stations. Volunteers didn't have cups ready, or maybe there weren't enough people handing off cups. I'll certainly plan on this race again next year. It's a fun race, good vibe, and well run event.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-10-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:08:08 | 13.1 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/4681
Performance: Average
Course: Point to point down Summit to the river, then along the river back into downtown St. Paul.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-31 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: Monster Dash Half Marathon

2011-10-31 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3745132

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Monster Dash Half Marathon
I meant to tell you that you looked very relaxed and in control, as I followed you for those first many miles.  I think this was simply just a case of the costume and the 70.3 recovery.  I am sure you'll crush the 2 hour mark at your next half.   You deserve big high five for running in that wig and beard!  Not to mention the jeans...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Dash Half Marathon Rss Feed