Dallas Athletes
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 1s
Overall Rank = 14/113
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/20
Pre-race routine:

Yeah, I know...did this race over a week ago. It's been a crazy week, so just getting around to the report. I'll keep it short because, well...I just don't feel like typing right now.

Way back in August Kristen asked me to do this triathlon with her. I was like, well, I kind of have this thing the day before, but what the hell, sounds like fun. The "thing" was our annual bike club's 12 hour ride where I might add that I PR'ed this year by riding 200 miles, beating all the boys! Well, after that I ate, came home, showered, and went to bed. However, I couldn't sleep...I was awake the entire time. I even got up for a little bit, got on the computer and who's in the chat room: Kristen who is also doing the race. So, I talk to her until she yells at me to go back to bed. So, I try again, but no use. I just sat there. I don't understand why either, I wasn't nervous about the triathlon, heck it hadn't even really set in that I was doing a triathlon. I had gotten up at 4 am on Saturday morning to get ready for Blistered Buns and that was after not sleeping well Friday night, so I should have been more than tired. So, got up at 1:30 and started getting ready and was on the road by 3 am. I just new as soon as I hit I-20 that's when I would get sleepy. Nope! Wide awake. I easily made it to the race site, unloaded my gear and headed for transition. And of course, while all of this is going on, I managed to eat my normal pre-race breakfast of oj and powerbar 3 hours before and pb crackers 1.5 hours before. I had to pick up my packet before entering transition (they weren't allowing race day packet pick up, but since there was no way I could pick it up the day before, I e-mailed them and they graciously allowed me to pick it up the day of, very nice!). So, get my packet, get marked, find a decent spot in transition, set up, go to the bathroom, come back and call Kristen who was walking to transition, talk about timing!
Event warmup:

No warm-up. This was a "for fun" race anyways. Kristen and I walked around, talked to Aaron and his friend, went to the bathroom, walked around walked around, then it was time to head to the water where I had to go to the bathroom again (the Browns were finally ready for the Superbowl). So, ran to the portapotties and back and didn't miss a thing. They let Dave Scott and Karen Smyers talk a little and then it was time to get moving. The announcer told the first wave to get in the water, they started counting down, yelled go! and then...nothing. Everyone was just standing there. The first wave wasn't even in the water. The announcer was furious, it was quite funny. The men's waves were first so he apologized to the women for the men's failure to listen. So they reset the timer and try again. Again, they are just standing there and everyone is yelling, "Get in the water!!" Finally they get in the water. Not sure what was up with that, and neither was announcer. He just started rambling and asked if he could cuss. His funniest statement: "I have a dog named herpes...darn thing won't 'heel'." Ha ha, killing me.
Swim
  • 08m 35s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Yeah, okay so there is no way that swim was 500 yds. I don't swim that distance that fast in a pool, let alone in open water without a wetsuit while climbing over people. So, the time means squat to me. We made the mistake of getting in the water as soon as the previous wave took off. That meant keeping afloat for 4 min. until it was our turn. Water felt good though. Our wave wasn't that big, but we had a small area to swim in so it was very congested. I never got hit hard, but I was constantly swimming through legs and arms for the first 300 yds or so. The last stretch towards the ladders it somehow seemed like everyone disappeared, it was weird. There were 5 ladders and by the time I got there I had no problem with getting one..didn't have to wait.
What would you do differently?:

I think I did the best I could given the situation. Besides, I didn't really care...as long as I stayed afloat today, it was all good.
Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

I came over the ladder and ran to transition. They had a good booty song playing so I felt much more like dancing then going for a bike ride, but oh well, must focus on the task at hand. I'm good at transitions, well, I think so anyways (my T1 time was the fastest in my age group) so I was slapping the shoes and helmet on and I see this poor girl across from me, sitting down and trying to get ready. I think I really flustered her because I was moving so fast and was gone before she even stood up and she was there before me. It definitely looked like it was her first triathlon...she'll get better with practice :)

Nada...actually, since this race was for fun, I think it would have been cool to break out dancing :)
Bike
  • 47m 53s
  • 17.3 miles
  • 21.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Bleh, a girl in my age group had a faster time than me, not used to that happening. Plus, I was passed by TWO women (one of those being Karen Smyers) and TWO men (one of those being Dave Scott). So, not a pretty day on the bike. Also, they advertised an 18.5 mile course, but my computer said 17.3 miles...that's a huge difference so I put that distance in my report because I know my computer was more accurate. Ha, and everyone thinks they're such speed demons when they see their splits on the results. It said my average speed was 23.8 miles per hour. Nice, but I don't think so.

To understand the condition of my booty, go read my Blistered Buns report, but basically, I didn't really enjoy sitting down. I came out of transition and I always stand up and crank away until I get up to speed before sitting down. Well, today we come out of transition and go down a short ways before making a right turn. I decided to stay standing until AFTER the turn, ha ha, I turned standing up. I get past the turn and tell myself it's time to sit. So, I do a little count to three. 1 missississississippi, t-w-o mississississississippi, t--h--r--e--ee mississisississississippi, okay I'm down! Okay, not as bad as I thought it was going to be. And after a few minutes it was numb. The first lap I was really cruising pretty good, all things considered. I came around a turn and a girl passes me. Yeah, I don't think so beeach, get back in line, so I pass her back. We go back and forth one more time before she finally learns her place :) Towards the end of the loop is when you have to go over the overpass and I so went to my little ring...I wasn't fighting today. I was still passing people though. I started the second loop and that's when I said to myself, "This hurts, I don't wanna go fast anymore, yet, I really want to be off the bike." So, second lap was way way slower. That's when I got passed by the girl on the pink bike. That's great, go ahead, see if I care! Finally finished the second loop and was headed to transition.

Stop being a baby and ride hard like I know I can, but wait...I'm not supposed to care about this race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

No problems, felt great to get off the bike...that's a first. I hate leaving the bike. Since this was only a sprint I thought about running without socks. I did all of my sprint races without socks last year and had no problems. However, this year I had been using socks since the distances have been longer, so it had been awhile since I ran without socks. Kristen said, "Gina, you put your socks on!!" So, as I get to transition and see my little socks next to the shoes, I told them to go screw themselves and yanked on the shoes. I'm such a rebel! :) Oh, and FYI: No blisters!! I told you it wouldn't be a problem!

Well, no good booty music this round, so no uncontrollable urges to dance.
Run
  • 24m 40s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Yeah, so on the website they boasted about making a 1 mile loop course so that spectators could see you more often, which meant they didn't want to deal with closing more roads, understandable, but it's funny how they try to make it look good :) And, the truth...it was a 1/2 mile OUT AND BACK, not a loop. So, with over 400 people, that's quite a lot of people confined to a little bitty area. It was fun weaving through people though, kept your mind off of running. My first lap (1 mile) I had horrible side stitches that I could not get to go away with my breathing exercises. It's funny because my legs actually felt decent. They eased up after the first mile and then I was just cruising. I felt like I was jogging, I just wanted to take it easy and finish the race. I really didn't care about being passed at that point. My time shows just how much I was chillin'...that pace is slower than all of my 10k runs in my olympic races.

Nothing today, I was running easy and I knew it, it was fun just being out there. I didn't feel like being studly today :)
Post race
Warm down:

I finished the race, talked to Aaron a little bit, then jogged back to the run course to cheer on Kristen. Kristen finished, we checked results, I ate some food, loaded up stuff, came back, checked results again, waited for awards, waited for awards, waited for awards, then off to Ft. Worth for some Mexican where I ate mucho chips, my entire plate and glared at Kriten's pathetic attempt to eat mexican. Then Kristen brought me back to Irving and I headed home. Not sleepy the entire trip back. In fact, couldn't go to sleep until about midnight.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of caring.

Event comments:

This was a great race. I liked it better than last year's course simply because the bike course was closed to traffic, last year got a little hairy with the cars. Plus, Dave Scott and Karen Smyers I so cool and super nice, it's fun to get to hang out with them. I also liked that we got a long sleeved t-shirt. The finisher's towels were cool. I doubt I will be able to do this race again next year, but I definitely recommend it to others, especially beginners since that is who it is mainly geared to. Congratulations to Kristen and Aaron on their hardware...turns out I was the biggest loser by only placing 3rd in my age group while Aaron got first and Kristen got second.

Last updated: 2005-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:35 | 500 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/20
Overall: 0/113
Performance: Average
Suit: Sports Bra and Tri shorts
Course: Small, clockwise loop in Lake Carolyn. It was out into the sun and then headed back to shore. Had to climb wooden ladders up out of the water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:53 | 17.3 miles | 21.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/20
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Went over some roads and then some other roads...obviously, I don't remember the roads we went on. What I do remember was that it was two loops and the roads were SMOOTH. Only hill was an overpass, the rest was either flat or gentle rises and falls.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:40 | 03.1 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/20
Performance: Below average
Course: 1/2 mile L shaped out and back course that we had to do 3 loops of. Flat course, nothing exciting.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-27 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: Texas Woman Sprint Triathlon

2005-09-27 2:24 PM
in reply to: #254555

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Texas Woman Sprint Triathlon
A great job even if you don't consider the 200 miles you rode the day before... down right mind blowing when you do.

bts
2005-09-28 2:18 AM

, Alabama

I wouldn't even be walking the day after 200 miles in the saddle, much less racing!  I'd love to be half as good as you!

sharon

2005-09-28 7:12 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by JeepFleeb 2005-09-28 7:12 AM
2005-10-15 1:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
holy SH@t   your definitely into your sport..  a 200 and then a sprint... holy mackeral...  your times are awsome ... you go girl!!    Congrats...   I am not sure I could do 12 hrs of biking in 1 days.. that just crazy ... IM crazy almost... LOL 

2005-10-16 3:04 PM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Great job, Gina!  AS usual!

And of course...I LOVE Gina RR's!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Texas Woman Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed