Set Up Inc.
77F / 25C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 50m 16s
Overall Rank = 309/474
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 58/75
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4. Took a quick shower to shock me into reality. Ate some grape-nuts, a small cup of coffee and drank .5l of water. Grabbed the gear, loaded the truck, kissed my wife and we were off to the races. At the race site, the ususal - setup transition, get everything organized and out of the way, socialize with the people I knew at the race and with my transition neighbors.
Event warmup:

At 7:45 I wiggled into my wetsuit and did some swimming to get everything in place. Other than that I was mostly mentally preparing.
Swim
  • 29m 48s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

A pretty good swim - considering that I have not been in the pool much in the last month. I took it easy and went at my own pace - my arms were getting tired near the end, but all in all it was a good sewim for me! I didn't even get that overheated in my full wetsuit, I was surprised by that. I was in wave 2 which is both good and bad. Good because you're out there earlier, bad because everyone can catch you :-).
What would you do differently?:

I tried to draft a little, but it seemed that everyone I was trying to draft off was either worse at navigating than I was or couldn't hold a constant speed. I eventually gave up and just did my own thing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Dang wetsuit. Always gets hung up on my calves and heels. I'll just have to focus on more practice for this in the off-season. I also decided to put socks on because my running shoes gave me a blister after my last sprint and that sucked.

Pull the wetsuit over my calves before stepping on it to get out.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 17s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I love this course. Its hard without being difficult. Unfortunately, during the first 5 miles I had some bad mojo going on. My stomach was a little upset and my legs felt like lead. I had no power at all. Since the bike leg is my strongest part I was worried that I was in for a long day. Thankfully my legs got warmed up and the remaining 20 miles were not as much of a sufferfest for me. Unfortunately I did have some trouble with the hills today - I suspect that my lack of cycling in the last month contributed to that.

I'd make sure that the week before the race I was out on the bike doing some easy spinning, even if I have not been training much. I also have to put some hours into strength work so I don't get dropped on the hills so bad in 2006.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Nice, fast T2.

Remember to put my hat and race belt on while running out of T2
Run
  • 1h 04m 44s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't walk. I came into the run knowing that if I kept a steady, slow pace I'd crack the 3 hr mark, so my mantra was slow and steady. I had some slight pain in my left knee - mostly from going down the hills, but thankfully it subsided and I kept on truckin'. I must have been passed by 100 people on the run, which only reminds me that I need to focus on running during the off season.

Next time I'll wear my fuel belt. I don't dig cytomax, and they had that and water. I'd rather pull a hit off my fuel belt when I want it rather than every mile at the H2O staton.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, drank water, ate a couple of oreos, some chips and a bowl of the best red beans and rice in the state. Caught up with some friends and caught up on current events (congrats Paul and Katie!!).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Since Timberman I've not been doing much other than the occasional bike or run. I just relied on my base to get me through, and it did. I really need to work on runinng speed if I want to not give back all the hard work I did during the swim and bike legs.

Event comments:

I think that this is the best race in the NCTS - to everyone who wants to do an olympic race, I highly recommend this one.

I was happy to take 10 minutes off my time from last year - it feels good to see improvements!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-10-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:48 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 39/75
Overall: 216/474
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Full
Course: 300 x 500 x 700 triangle. Nice, clean water.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:12:17 | 24.85 miles | 20.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/75
Overall: 185/474
Wind: Some
Course: Out - loop - back on "Rolling" hills. Some pretty big ones too, but nothing that will make you cry.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:04:44 | 06.21 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 69/75
Overall: 414/474
Course: Hilly run around lake pinehurst.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-10-02 7:31 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Pinehurst Triathlon

2005-10-03 8:12 AM
in reply to: #257668

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Pinehurst Triathlon
Updated with times and placing.
2005-10-03 6:33 PM

User image

Regular
Great race... forget what everyone says about the bike... the run is killer! I finished in 3:00:18. I left it all on the course and finished with nothing in the tank. Congrats on cracking 3 hours on a tough course!

tridaddy.blogspot.com
2005-10-03 10:35 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Good race!  I really liked the course...especially the run.  those timing mats 100m before the finish line caught me off guard though.   I need to finish up my race report.
2005-10-03 10:48 PM

User image

Regular
Hey.. what about the hole just before the mats! After I finished, I saw alot of people stumble through that then stop at the mat!
2005-10-04 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Nice race Jason!  Congrats on yoru times and your finish.  And especially knocking off a full 10 mins from last year's mark.  Damn.  That's progress for ya.

2005-10-04 6:51 PM
in reply to: #258982

User image

Regular
JK - thanks!  I was pretty excited that I knocked off those 10 minutes, especially since I took a break from training after my half.  It was a great day for a race.  I think that you should make the trek to Pinehurst next year.

About those timing mats - those did confuse me too!  After the race while milling about I figured out that they were using them to announce names and the like.  It was good to have them announce everyone as they came closer to the finish!

To anyone who is near NC and has not done the race, it really is a great one!  Ask anyone who has posted a report on here and I am sure that they will agree with that statement!

jsargevt
2005-10-04 8:18 PM
in reply to: #259511

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Yeah, and that just added to the confusion.  Typically, at least in the races I've done, when you get to the end and cross the timing mats where the person is announcing names you're done.  Maybe if the finish line had been straight ahead and in sight I would have figured it out but I'm so focused over the last mile of the run that all I know is when my foot hits the mat and I hear the beep I can shut it down.  They should have warned us during the morning announcements...about 1/2 the people I watched finish thought that was the end.

jsargevt - 2005-10-04 7:51 PMJK -

About those timing mats - those did confuse me too! After the race while milling about I figured out that they were using them to announce names and the like. It was good to have them announce everyone as they came closer to the finish!

2005-10-05 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC

Great race Jason! 10min off last year is tremendous!

I agree, this is such a great race venue. I especially liked the lake swim. And next year I'll know how to run those small hills!

Again, congrats on the great finish!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Triathlon Rss Feed