General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon-Intermediate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon-Intermediate - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
Playtri
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 40m 32s
Overall Rank = 92/270
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/48
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 4:50am. Out of the house by 5:20am. About a 40 minute drive to race location. Ate 2 bananas and a power bar on the way. Got there in plenty of time. Got marked, set up transition, got chip, and found Aaron(JeepFleeb) and Brandt(OldAg92).
Event warmup:

Nothing really.
Swim
  • 31m 43s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Decent but not great. I can swim better. The start was pretty hectic. Because there were so many people I went ahead and got towards the front for the start. Alot of bumping at the beginning but it opened up pretty fast. But the course was still a little more crowded than I am used to and there was bumping through out the entire swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 04m 7s
Comments:

Long run from swim to transition. I'm guessing about 150 yards or more. Plus you had to run down a very steep grassy hill. It wasn't so bad when I went down it. I was in the first wave. But I am guessing when the last waves came out it was pretty slick. I am notoriously slow in T1. I am not sure why. Then as I am running out of T1 with my bike I see Aaron(JeepFleeb) running into T1. That did not bode well for my goal of beating him. I needed more space after the swim.

Considering going with out socks but then I would just have to put socks on in T2. So I don't know. I'm open to suggestions.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 9s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pleasantly surprised by my pace. I didn't feel that fast and this was my best bike leg of any of my races to date. I am sure part of the reason for my pace is Aaron(JeepFleeb). After seeing him coming into T1 as I was leaving, I knew my goal for the day was in jeopardy. I kind of had that feeling like I was in one of those cheap horror movies where the person is running through the woods and the monster is chasing them but they can't see him yet. Then about 15 minutes into the bike, I make the first u-turn, go about 150 yards and look over across the road. THE MONSTER! About 5 minutes later he went by me. I knew this was way too early to get passed on the bike for me to have a chance at catching him on the run. I tried to keep him in sight but that only lasted about 10 minutes.

Nothing. This was the best bike average I have had in any race.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

This was actually decent for me. Long run around the transition area to get to bike rack. I still need to get some zip laces.

Nothing.
Run
  • 50m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good on the run. They did not have the mileage marked on the course. I guess it was the aid stations but there was nothing to indicate it so I was not sure what my pace was. It didn't matter because I was just pushing as hard as I could to try and get in sight of Aaron. A little over a mile into the run, Aaron past me going the other direction. I made mental note of where we passed so I could see where I was. When I got back to that mark, he had about a 10 minute lead on me. I knew then it was over. No beating JeepFleeb today. So I just kept pushing to try and make it respectable. I ran with a guy for the last mile or so just kind of going back and forth. Me and this guy did the same thing on the bike course too. Turned out to be another BTer. Davidb.

In addition to beating JeepFleeb, one of my goals was to run an 8 min/mile avg on the run. Got closer to that than I did beating JeepFleeb.

Trip JeepFleeb when he came by. Just kidding. JeepFleeb has become a really accomplished triathlete. I beat this guy in an Oly by about 9 minutes in July. I set a PR today and he still beat me by 10 minutes. Congrats Aaron!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank lots of fluids. I sweat alot during this race. I guess it was pretty humid because the temp was not too bad. Met up with Tommy(zia_cyclist), Aaron(JeepFleeb), David(DavidB) and Brandt(OldAg92).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My ability.

Event comments:

I was amazed at how well this race went off considering the number of competitors and a pretty compact course. I was honestly expecting alot of problems and really didn't see any. Although drinks seemed hard to come by after the race.

Last updated: 2005-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:43 | 1500 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/48
Overall: 104/270
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Open water 2 clockwise loops.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:07
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:09 | 24.85 miles | 20.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/48
Overall: 111/270
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: This was a pretty technical course. Same course as the sprint but we did 2 loops. 9 u-turns and 12 right turns during the 2 loops.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:22 | 06.21 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/48
Overall: 105/270
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-10-03 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon-Intermediate

2005-10-03 8:58 AM
in reply to: #258073

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-10-04 9:58 PM
in reply to: #258073

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon-Intermediate

Gary,

Great race.  Nice run pace. 

It was nice to meet you. 

TJ

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon-Intermediate Rss Feed