Maryland Coastal Bays Program
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 6s
Overall Rank = 195/395
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 35/52
Pre-race routine:

This was my first tri and it was a wonderful experience! This report is probably too long, but I want to capture and remember everything I experienced.

I was super excited and nervous the night before. I had a hard time sleeping and woke up throughout the night checking on the time. At one point I had a dream that we lost power and I missed the race because the alarm didn't go off. I woke up fumbling for my watch or cell phone or anything else that might have the time. That was at 4:00am. I drove my poor wife crazy.

I eventually got out of bed at 5:45am. I quietly got dressed and snuck out of the hotel room so that I wouldn't wake up the kids. I walked outside and quickly learned my first lesson: bring a jacket to events on the water this time of year. It was in the 40's and I had nothing but a long sleeve t-shirt to throw on.

We were staying in a hotel on the beach in Ocean City. I paused to check out the beginning of the sunrise over the ocean. The colors were beautiful and there was a sliver of the moon showing as well. I left my camera with my wife, but wished that I had it to take a picture. This was the start of a great day.

I ate a power bar and drank some gatorade in the car on the way to the race. I was hoping that this would be enough to get me through the race. I have been training mostly in the evenings and have had little experience with figuring out how much to fuel up early in the morning. It turned out to be the right amount for me.

I got to the race site at 6:50am. A lot of people were just beginning to show up at this time. I got on the end of a rack about 6 back from the bike entrance/exit point. I laid out my stuff and re-checked it 3-4 times. I next got my body marked. I was freezing at this point and was envious of those that had brought jackets, gloves and hats. The woman that was writing the numbers on me and I were joking that between her shivering and my shivering, no one would ever recognize the numbers that she was writing.

I walked back to my car and sat in it for about 15 minutes, trying to warm up. My hands were numb and I was digging for an extra pair of socks or anything else that I could put them in to warm them up. Finally got the feeling back in my hands and headed over to the start for the swim to check it out. It had already warmed up 10-15 degrees outside.

I went back to the transition area and rechecked everything again. Waited in a huge line at the porta-potties. Ran for 5 minutes and stretched. At 8:30 put on my wet suit. 8:40 listened to the race review meeting. Wife and kids showed up and I took a picture with them. At 8:50 headed to the put-in for the swim.

Second lesson: bring flip-flops or cheap shoes. Walking down the road to the swim start was rough on the feet. I noticed about half the racers were wearing some type of shoe.

The official time did not break out the transitions. I did that myself based on time kept on my watch.
Swim
  • 10m 18s
  • 804 meters
  • 01m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was in the 4th wave. I was hoping to get in the water and splash about a bit first, but only the current wave was allowed in the water at any given point. The waves were 3 minutes apart, so when my wave was up I had 3 minutes to get in and try to get used to the water. It was cold, even with the wetsuit. I think that it was in the upper 60's. There were a couple of guys behind me that were in shock at the water temperature and that it was salt water.

I am a pretty decent swimmer, but have never raced in the open water. I seeded myself in the middle of the pack to avoid being run over by the faster swimmers. I ended up having to swim around the guys that were in front of me.

The first 2-3 minutes of the swim were tough. The water temperature was like a shock to the body. This was the only time during the race that I questioned what I was doing there. Once I calmed down, I found my stroke and started to feel good. I slowed myself trying to sight the buoys too often. I started passing some of the people in the waves in front of me and felt good.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front of the pack. I could have saved 30-60 seconds not having to find a way around the guys in front of me.

Calm down at the beginning of the swim.

Have more confidence in my ability to swim straight. I slowed myself down sighting way too much.

Transition 1
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

Got out of the water and felt great. Unzipped my wetsuit as I jogged to the bike. Found my bike easily and started to take the wetsuit off. I got really dizzy and immediately grabbed the bike rack to steady myself. After a couple of breaths, I got the wetsuit off easily and bent down to put my shoes on.

When putting my first shoe on, I got dizzy again and fell over. At this point I wasn't sure what was happening. This was new to me. I don't know if it was the cold water, adrenaline pumping or something else. I later heard a couple of other participants were dizzy in this transition. We speculated that it was related to the water temperature. I spent a few moments trying to calm down and get my balance back. I finished putting on my shoes, my helmet and my sunglasses and then grabbed my bike. The dizziness was gone.

I have got to practice this transition to get faster. It took me way too long. Part of it was the dizziness.
Bike
  • 56m 36s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 16.11 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew that this was going to be the toughest part of the race for me. I have an old, big, heavy mtn bike. I have not been able to get much past 16 mph in my training. I had tried to mentally prepare myself for the fact that I was going to be a lot slower than most everyone else. I figured if I liked the race and wanted to do more, I would get a good road bike later.

It was still really tough being passed by so many people. I felt like I was barely moving when they flew by me.

I drank a bottle of water and ate a gel while biking.

Get a road bike and train, train, train.
Transition 2
  • 00m 22s
Comments:

Fast! Threw my bike on the rack, took off my helmet and sunglasses and took off. I had felt like I needed to use the bathroom during the bike and was going to do it in this transition, but I was too pumped up and ready for the run.
Run
  • 25m 14s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I started really strong and felt good. I had practiced a few bricks and was ready for the strange feeling in my legs. My family and the crowd at the beginning of the run really pumped me up and I started a little too fast.

I had been training for 8:00 - 8:30 miles for the first 2 miles and then finishing strong with 7:30 last mile. I was at 7:30 for my first mile in the race. I tried to slow down to an 8:00 mile the second mile so that I would not die during the last mile.

After being passed so much on the bike, it felt good to pass people during the run. I passed around 30 people and had no one pass me. The last mile got really tough. The last 1/2 mile my body kept screaming "walk, walk, walk." I wanted to finish without walking and I pressed on. At around 1/8 mile left, I heard someone coming up behind me. I refused to let someone pass me at this point and I took off and sprinted to the finish. Crossing the finish line with the crowd cheering felt great!

Want to train to get faster in the run. Need to learn to pace myself better.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water. Hugged my family. All they had to drink was water and Sierra Mist. I hate Sierra Mist, but was craving something sweet and drank two cans of it like it was liquid gold. I ate a few bites of a turkey sandwich and some potato chips, but was not really feeling like eating.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My bike. If I want to be competitive (which I discovered that I do), I need to get a road bike.

Event comments:

This was my first race, but it seemed very well organized. The course was beautiful and seemed just right for a beginner. I definitely want to come back.

Last updated: 2005-10-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:18 | 804 meters | 01m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/52
Overall: 110/395
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:38
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:56:36 | 15.2 miles | 16.11 mile/hr
Overall: 239/395
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:14 | 03.1 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 93/395
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-10-03 2:55 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: Osprey Sprint

2005-10-03 3:09 PM
in reply to: #258463

User image

Subject: RE: Osprey Sprint
Wow!  Great race for your first tri!  
2005-10-03 3:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD

Congratulations on your first tri.  Great race report too - it's always fun to read what other people experienced at the same race.

Try sitting down at T1 while you put your shoes on.  You're not going to waste any extra time doing that, and it'll help to relax you.  Going from being horizontal in the water to standing/jogging can cause dizziness.  Just a thought.  Hope to see you at future local races!

2005-10-04 8:41 AM
in reply to: #258490

User image

Expert
Northern VA
I have also received some advice to use ear plugs to keep the water out of my ears. Thanks for the reply.
2005-10-04 9:07 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Very nice race.  You fish! What a great swim time.  The Osprey is a well run, low key race, glad you enjoyed your first tri so much.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Osprey Sprint Rss Feed