Australia
16C / 61F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 24m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Thankfully had a brilliant sleep on Friday night. Was not to be last night. Stayed at my parent's place so I could get a lift to the start line. Massive pillows gave my neck and back trouble and as a result woke up sore. Had english muffins with pb for breakfast and half a powerbar about an hour before the start.
Event warmup:

Virtually impossible to warm up - it was freezing at Ricketts Point. Jumped in the toliet queue before it spiralled out of control and made my way back up to the start or somewhere close to it.
Run
  • 2h 26m 28s
  • 21 kms
  • 06m 58s  min/km
Comments:

Because I didn't have anyone I knew running at my pace my aim was to try and find someone I could stick with. The whole concept of trying to run my own race was blown out the window when my HR went through the roof. There was no way it was coming down so I stuck with it in the hope that I wouldn't hit a wall.

After a little trial and error I found 'SlowDave' (he of www.coolrunning.com.au fame). His knee had gone at 8km and he said he had me in his sights and was using me as his pace guide. I instantly felt sorry for him! So we ran together for the most part of beach rd. We were still together at Fitzroy st where my hips/gluts really started to hurt. Turned into St Kilda Rd looked at my watch and realised if I pushed from here I could break 2.30. So I picked up the pace and left SlowDave. At Domain interchange the guy who won the FULL marathon passed me. The last 2 km was painful I wanted to run faster to get it over with because my legs were hurting so much. As I ran to the finish the guy who finished second in the marathon pipped me at the post! There was a big cheer though which was exciting - sure it wasn't all for me, but still pretty cool.

The best thing was seeing Sarsha just after Blackrock clocktower, Mum at Cafe Racer, Erin, Sue, Bunny, Shem & Mum & Dad at the finish line! And the jellybeans from random people at BP.
The support of the crowd was amazing.
What would you do differently?:

I'm stoked - I finished my first half marathon. Something I thought I'd never do. :) :) :)

Post race
Warm down:

What warm down? Too much pain to do any of that!
I did feel a little ill as I crossed the finish line. But after some water and an apple I felt better. Immense pain in my hips though.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Talent! I did no speed or hill training in my preparation. I'd definitly incorporate some of this action into my next training plan.

Event comments:

If it wasn't for the volunteers this run would be nothing. Those guys rock. Encouraging or holding drinks around each corner they made it an enjoyable experience.

The chance to run with so many other people should not be underestimated. There was such a good vibe, I just enjoyed being out there with so many like minded (and incredibly talented) people!

Last updated: 2005-10-08 12:00 AM
Running
02:26:28 | 21 kms | 06m 58s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Avg HR 181. Ooops.
Course: Some small hills but for the most part flat. Beach Rd - Fitzroy St - St Kilda Rd.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-10-09 12:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Asics Melbourne Half Marathon

2005-10-09 3:50 AM
in reply to: #262196

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Subject: RE: Asics Melbourne Half Marathon

Well done Cassie. Great run.

2005-10-09 8:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

Hey Casie,

You did it!! well done!!

What a great achievement, a half marathon in under 2 and a half hours.

Now on to that full marathon.

2005-10-10 9:48 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Well done! Congratulations!
2005-10-10 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Congrats on finishing your first half!! Great job!!!
2005-10-10 1:17 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Awesome job! Your description of the course makes me miss Melbourne, where I used to live.

2005-10-11 4:10 AM

User image

Regular
Erskineville
Hey Casie.
Well done on the first half completed!!! It's an awesome feeling. So when is the next event on the calendar?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Asics Melbourne Half Marathon Rss Feed