Hartford Marathon Foundation
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 56m
Overall Rank = 463/1686
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 54/129
Pre-race routine:

Did my typical prerace routine, of getting up way to early, eating a breakfast of Ensure, PBJ sandwich and some coffee. Watched the rain outside a little and thought this is going to be a crazy day. Dressed in race outfit and headed up to Hartford for the race.
Event warmup:

Got to Bushnell Park in the rain, sat in the truck for a while (I had already picked up my race package) and listened to good tunes from the Ipod. I have found that there are several songs that I have to listen to before my races, Ohio, Mas Tequila, Summertime, Sympathy for the Devel, Sandman and recently Foo Fighters - DOA. Walked down to race start, checked my bag with a dry change of clothes and flip flops and began to pace and get caught up in the nervous energy. Met Rob (Cpt. Sparrow) as he was going to check his bag, said hi and wished each other good luck. Sipped Cytomax until about 20 minutes before start then ran around the Capitol to loosen up. Met another person from the gym, Heather, and chit chatted waiting for the race to start.
Run
  • 1h 56m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Where to begin, okay I will begin at the start. :) National Anthem playing, the skies open up, like a monsoon. :) Start the run and feel pretty good although a little light headed. Step and fetch for the first 1/2 mile or so until the crowd thins out and then try and settle into a rythym. First mile 8:07, to fast. Try and get into cruise mode, second mile 7:50. Began to fast and this may have dampened (pun intended) the day. Actually felt really good through about mile 8, then my left ankle start to talk to me. Kind of a sharp burning sensation with each footstrike and push off, I hadn't twisted, it it just decided to complain about a long season. Okay, I tell myself, just lighten up the pace even more and keep chugging along. This seemed to be working until about mile 10 and then the ankle wasn't talking to me anymore, but yelling to the DUMBASS who was continuing to run on it even with the ankles persistant warnings for the last 3 miles. Well, as most who know me will attest I am hard headed, but I do have a full season planned next year and I want to be injury free, so walk it was. The last 3 or so miles I was walking about as fast as possible w/ little running breaks in between just to see if the pain was a figment of my imagination, it wasn't. Walking was okay, running not an option for more than about 20-30 paces. So I walked most of the last 3 miles in and just tried to make the best out of a rainy dreary day.

Mile 1 - 8:07 HR 164
Mile 2 - 7:50 HR 173
Mile 3 - 7:59 HR 175
Mile 4 - 8:24 HR 175
Mile 5 - 8:24 HR 175
Mile 6 - 8:29 HR 172
Mile 7 - 8:47 HR 172
Mile 8 - 8:36 HR 173
Mile 9 - 9:01 HR 174
Mile 10 - 9:01 HR 174
Mile 11 - 9:16 HR 169
Mile 12 - 11:28 HR 143
Mile 13 - 10:11 HR 162
Mile 0.1 - 1:28 HR 183
What would you do differently?:

Not go out so fast and do my "no rain, 70 degrees and no humidity" dance the night before.
Post race
Warm down:

Met Rob and Mark (I think, sorry if I am wrong) at the finish and chatted about the race a little. Then I went looking for the med tent to get some ice for the ankle. Walked through all of Bushnell Park before ending up back at the Finish and finding the med tent. DOH!!!!! Got some ice and an ace bandage to hold it in place and went on the hunt for TriGirl069. What a training partner, she came to the race to watch the finish of me and several others that she knew in the monsoon. THANX. Unfortunately, I never found her and decided to try and get a massage. I am not a massage person, actually then only ones I have gotten, have been after races, but this was the worst of any by far. It was a useless waste of my time and I could have, and did, do a better job on myself afterwards. Had some post race food and tried not to cramp up to much, calves were not cooperating. Got my dry clothes which I did not put on because then they also would have been wet and gimped up to the truck to head home.

Once I got home and cleaned up and dried out, did the ice bath thing w/ my feet and continued to ice off an on throughout the evening. No swelling in the ankle however, it is a little stiff and if I am on it for a while it begins to ache.

Well race season is over, so sounds like a good time to hit the pool and bike and let the legs revover from running for a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather and heading out to fast. This is also a race that I did not train specifically for and my first stand alone 1/2 mary.

Event comments:

Liked the race, the massage could have been better, but then again the price was right, $0.00 . The weather made the post race activities not very enjoyable, however, there was great food and good vibes throughout the park.

Last updated: 2005-07-22 12:00 AM
Running
01:56:00 | 13.1 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/129
Overall: 0/1686
Performance: Below average
Avg Hr - 169 (Yikes)
Course: Basically Flat out and back w/ a couple of side detours.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-10-09 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Subject: Hartford 1/2 Marathon

2005-10-09 10:12 AM
in reply to: #262228

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Hartford 1/2 Marathon
aw man, sorry to hear about the ankle! You pacing got so much better before that too. Good decision making though about the ankle. End of the season race and a whole big next season at stake, so no need for injuries.

Dang that rain eh?! wow, you guys got a soaking!! Poor trigirl, she must have been drenched watching.

well, keep the ankle 'on the rocks' and enjoy the day.
2005-10-09 3:20 PM

Pro
Andover
Dave,

Hope the ankle is feeling better today.

It was good to talk to you yesterday, even if was only for a few minutes.

Man, I knew something was up when I saw you at mile 11. Good job sticking it out, and walking when you needed to, to get the job done. You did a lot this season and have much to be proud of!

Well, take care of that ankle. Hopefully we'll be able to set up some winter BT group workouts.

All the best,
Rob
2005-10-09 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
Sorry to hear about the experience you had yesterday. When I woke and saw the weather I felt for all you guys who were running yesterday. Good job having the mental strength to reduce the urge to continue to run and risk a more serious injury while still pushing to the finish.

Hope the ankle is feeling better today.
2005-10-09 6:51 PM

Champion
Had to check to see how you guys made out. That's still a good race Dave. I got 15 miles from home and it was raining so hard here you couldn't even see the road. I was doing 25 mph on a 50 mph road. Turned around and went back home to ride the trainer. I think if the drive hadn't been so long I might have given it a shot. Good race in tough conditions!

Max
2005-10-09 7:19 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Ugh- So sorry the day turned out "less than optimal"- you were WAY smart tho to take care of your ankle- Can't control the !@#$ weather..........gotta put another checkmark in the "experience" and "mental toughness" columns tho- Good for you.

2005-10-09 7:33 PM
in reply to: #262379

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Congrats on toughing out the race! But you did the right thing by walking it in. I had a similar thing happen to me on a 1/2 marathon a couple years ago -- feeling really good until about mile nine and then the old ankle suddenly started to hurt like nobody's business - Sound a lot like your injury. Sharp, stabbing pains. Got worse by the minute -- did the walk run thing and got in about 15 minutes slower than goal -- worst part was that it sidelined my running for 12 weeks. Hope that doesn't happen to you!

Good luck with the ankle and congrats on doing a tough race, in tougher conditions, and then add the injury!

Take Care -- and Congrats again!
2005-10-11 8:34 AM

Expert
Hey Dave, way to tough it out in the race. Wise decision on backing off at the end. No sense going into the off-season with an injury.

Good job

Mark
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hartford 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed