Emerald Isle Parks and Rec
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

Got up, fed animals, ate pbj, mixed drink stuff, found goggles, realized I had no gels and brought the honey bear, loaded the car and drove down. It's close to my house, which is nifty. It was cold and windy in the dark.
Event warmup:

Got marked, picked up packet, racked bike, talked to people, wandered down to feel the water and watch the buoys get placed. They started the pre-race meeting with a prayer, which I wasn't so keen on. Saw Miriam and Brent, but not too many other people. Lots of people from the base--some of the women were really nice.
Swim
  • 19m 30s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first wetsuit swim. I borrowed it from my friend Laurie. Considering I'd never swam in it before (had planned to, didn't pan out), it went great, didn't bother me at all. I think it's because of the diving. It's a shortie.

I rocked on the swim overall--I caught up to and passed a bunch of the guys (who in turn kicked my butt on the bike), and felt great after the first hundred meters or so. My goggles leak, got to fix that.

What would you do differently?:

Get a better pair of goggles--the ones I used leaked. Also, I would pee. I didn't b/c it was a borrowed suit, but that was a mistake.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I have got to shut up in the transition area. This time I didn't have the excuse of a long-lost friend, I was just yakking with a stranger. Nice guy, it was his first one. He had kind of panicked in the swim and was a little bummed.

learn where the second velcro thingy is on my borrowed wetsuit. Also, shut up and change, already. I'm just so happy when I'm doing these things that I get chatty.

Also I should have replenished my gel supply. I brought the poor woman's version (honey bear), but couldn't take it on the bike or run, and I think that cost me. I was starving 3/4 into the bike, and the drink wasn't cutting it.
Bike
  • 49m
  • 12 miles
  • 14.69 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where I lost time. One the one hand, no one passed me with crappier equipment (though that may just be testament to the state of my equipment), but a lot of people did pass me. I need to log A LOT more miles.

Good news is, I have a coach! The first tri person I met as a volunteer at Nelson Bay (well, I met his wife, and she introduced me) has volunteered to coach me on biking and running. He was a track coach, and he's done sprints for five years and just did his first half ironman this summer after his sixth bypass. The man is a really friendly, southern, ANIMAL. I'm excited. And his wife is going to babysit Max on training days, how cool is that!???

They were good about having cops and Marines at most intersections, but I still almost got smeared by a semi--it just looked at me and pulled out, blocking the ENTIRE road. #()$&#&$@#!. I said several unladylike things. Did not wipe out, luckily, but I did have to stop. Jackass.

That said, my time is really my own fault.

Bike a lot more. Also get shoes and learn to use clipless pedals. I have them, but haven't had the $ for the shoes, so I have cages on right now. Also have gels on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This was fine--the guy next to me wasn't there yet. I need to buy a race belt, though--fumbling with the pins (I swam in my shirt) isn't fun.

Have gels and another energy drink--I was really hungry at this point and all I had was a fingerful of honey from the bear.
Run
  • 34m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I was slower than I wanted to be, but I think it's because I didn't have enough food. I was starving. And having a full bladder didn't help. Still, I ran the whole time, was nice to people who passed me and were running the other way, and the ones I passed.

I'm gonna lose the big toe toenail on my right foot. Blah. It was flapping in the breeze when I finished and put on my flipflops. Ouchy.

Also, 'Aunt Flo' to use the parlance of BT, wasn't doing me any favors. I took ibuprofen, but still felt crampy. For all of that, it wasn't a bad run, considering.

Pee, take stronger cramp drugs, and have gels.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around, talking to people, ate a banana and an orange. Drank some water. Stretched a little. Met my soon-to-be coach again!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think it is safe to say that my hypothesis: if I don't work out for two weeks and drink copious amounts of beer and wine instead, it will greatly benefit my performance-- was disproven. It did not enhance my performance. Go figure.

Event comments:

It's a well-run race, and the woman who organizes it is really nice. They did a good job watching traffic for the most part, that semi notwithstanding. Wish they had had some real food at the end--I was dying for a pizza. :)

No real activities at the end, but talking to people is always fun.

You know, I didn't improve my time over Wilmington, and the swim was only half as long, but so freakin' what? I started training for this in May after volunteering at Nelson Bay, and since that time, I've sucessfully completed two sprint tris, a one-mile beach run, a 5k, and an 8k over two high-rise bridges. I've also handled the break-up of my marriage (had to be done), am raising a happy, healthy, cool little boy, and I've made a rich life for myself and him in our new town. I'm very, very proud of myself right now.

Last updated: 2005-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:30 | 750 meters | 02m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: diamond-shaped buoy course off the beach. Waves, current-- but it was great. I love to swim, and I'm good at it. It really helps that I'm just not afraid in the water. If we could double the swim and halve the bike, I'd be in business.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:49:00 | 12 miles | 14.69 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Out and back along 58 and Reed Rd. Big headwind for part of the time. Nice weather though.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:00 | 03.11 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Down 58 and onto Ocean Dr and back. This course seemed really long to me, but I think it's because I was hungry and had to pee.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-10-15 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC
Subject: Emerald Isle Triathlon

2005-10-15 12:23 PM
in reply to: #265651

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: Emerald Isle Triathlon

Great job!  Nice race report!!!! 

Enjoy your PIZZA!

2005-10-16 2:58 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I think it is safe to say that my hypothesis: if I don't work out for two weeks and drink copious amounts of beer and wine instead, it will greatly benefit my performance-- was disproven. It did not enhance my performance. Go figure.

Always wondered about that...dammit...wish it worked.

Great race.  Is this the season-ender?  Good news on the coach though...coaches are swell!

2005-10-16 5:46 PM
in reply to: #265912

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC
jldicarlo - 2005-10-16 3:58 PM

Always wondered about that...dammit...wish it worked.

Great race. Is this the season-ender? Good news on the coach though...coaches are swell!

Oh , I know it---I'd been planning to make my fortune writing a book about it: "How to Not Train, Drink a Lot and Make a PR Every Time". Tell me it wouldn't have been a bestseller around here???

Yeah, this is it for me, until the half mary I signed up for in March in a psychotic moment. Oh, and I think I may go to Wilmington to do the Battleship run, but no more tris until Nelson Bay.

I'm psyched about the coach. He seems like a nice man, and from what he was saying, I think he may know what he's talking about. And he's free and comes with a babysitter---wooooo!
2005-10-17 11:03 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

Great race! couldn't get to report due to my crappy cable connection at home. I learned that same lesson regarding time off, beer and wine at the Wilmington tri.LOL

I'm going to run the Battleship 5k, so hope to see you there. I'm going to train for the Shamrock 1/2 mary, but haven't signed up yet. Depends on what the good Dr. says to me on 11/1.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Emerald Isle Triathlon Rss Feed