United States
United States Marine Corps
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 49m 27s
Overall Rank = 10073/20072
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The day before I was on my feet running around. Didn't get much rest because I was back home in Pennsylvania visiting my family. Did load up on carbs and hydrated well.

The morning of the race I got up bright and early (2am) to get ready and drive down to the metro station. Boarded the metro and met up with some of my friends that were staying the city.
Event warmup:

Wanted to warm up with a few laps, but as we were getting ready to board the metro we found out that someone jumped in front of the train, so we had to walk down to the start and drop our bags off. That was my basic warmup before the race.
Run
  • 4h 49m 27s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really hoping to PR at this race, but unfortunately I think I had myself beat at mile 4. It took me 46 minutes to get to that point, and usually I'm around 34 minutes for 4 miles. I kind of panicked that I was so far behind my time and I think that got to me mentally. Haynes Point was also a rough spot for me. That's when I fell apart mentally and physically. I felt like I couldn't go on anymore, but I did keep moving forward.
What would you do differently?:

I went into this race with high expectations to PR, and when I didn't I was pretty disappointed, but now that I look back, I'm very proud of the race I did. Even though I felt beat down at 16-17, I kept moving forward until I got to the finish line. I can't always PR at every race, but most importantly, I can look at what happened and learn from it.
Post race
Warm down:

Chugged some water and gatorade. Walked down to Burger King and had a Whopper with fries and a large coke. Not the best post race meal, but I was starving and I wanted to red meat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think if I had more rest, and maybe not do a half marathon the week before, I probably could have done better. But that's all in the past, and all I can do now is learn from my experience.

Event comments:

This was my first marathon and in fact my first endurance event ever back in 2003. I love this race because of the organization and support and plus its close to where I grew up so that family can come watch. I highly recommend this race to everyone, and just when you think that you want to give up, you have a Marine yelling at you to keep moving. The course is relatively flat with a few hills, and you have something to look at with all the monuments you pass.

Last updated: 2005-11-03 12:00 AM
Running
04:49:27 | 26.2 miles | 11m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/20072
Performance:
Course: The course is relatively flat, with tons of spectators. I felt I was Lance Armstrong in the Tour de France because the spectators were so close to the runners at certain points. I loved running by the monuments and through Georgetown. The only part of the course that I fell apart was at Haynes Point. There were no spectators out there, and that's when I broke down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-11-03 2:14 PM

Master
Subject: Marine Corps Marathon

2005-11-03 2:38 PM
in reply to: #277441

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon
I'ld say you did pretty well with the early rising and fairly long drive.  That had to take its toll (no pun intended).  I too was stymied by Metro and had to walk to the start from Foggy Bottom.  Glad you came down for the race. Good luck in your future events.
2005-11-03 4:15 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
nice race! It's hard to keep moving ... good for you for doing so! It's hard to let go of expectations and still feel like you did something special -- but you totally did! Good work!
2005-11-03 7:51 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Sometimes the hardest part of race is knowing that you are not going to meet the personal goals you had set out for yourself the night before ... but you FINISHED A MARATHON and a tough one at that.

That in itself is cause for congratulations!

See you at the Peachtree Road Race ...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marine Corps Marathon Rss Feed