City of Perth
28C / 82F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m
Overall Rank = /3500
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Didn’t have a good nights sleep there was a serious smoke haze this morning. As the spring here has been so wet Calm haven’t done any of their usual pre summer burn offs and fire breaks so they have left it way late in the season and as a result the smoke goes out to sea at night and then comes back in the morning . the reason I’m writing all this down is that it really affects me. So my house was full of smoke and I didn’t sleep well at all. Plus my breathing on the bike was awful

Got up had a couple of pieces of toast and vegemite. Filled my bottles and headed to the ride start. Feeling pretty average. Had a gu just before the race started. Eww I’ll stick to carboshotz or hammer gels I think. that gu was disgusting and hard to swallow. But I’m glad I had it on me.
Event warmup:

We parked on the other side of the city and rode down to the race start as a group. gentle 5 km warm up.
Bike
  • 1h 44m
  • 53 kms
  • 30.58 km/hr
Comments:

Started in an earlier group then I was supposed to be in because I wanted to ride with people I knew, we were going to try and work together as a team (obviously drafting was allowed) Headed off round the river and was a little concerned about the smoke and my lungs and if I would actually make it or not. Then some little competitive thing inside me kicked into gear and I pushed it pretty hard.

It was fairly warm and I definatley don’t think I drank enough but I was consciously trying to drink enough, the problem was that there was 3500 people doing the ride and a fair chunk of those people had never ridden in a pack before so it was a fairly scary ride at times. 4 people riding abreast and no way for anyone to pass them while going up a huge hill and they were going granny pace.

I’m really glad I had the gu and I managed to eat a fruit bar while I was riding (quite proud of that effort)

My friend and I somehow dropped our group with all the confusion passing people and we caught up to the category in front of us. However along one long stretch about 5 km’s I was in no man’s land no one to draft and just had to push it into the wind, settled into the aero bars with my friend behind me and just pushed. (also very proud of that effort)

Around 8ks from the finish my left hand went numb, and I seemed to loose all strength in it. I couldn’t actually change from my small chain ring back up into my big chain ring. I had to move my right hand over and do it that way. That was a touch scary. But it was hot and I had just checked my watch and realised that I could finish it way under my goal time so I just kept on pedalling and not worrying about my hand.

Dad and rode over the course two weeks ago and with a few stops along the way and a little detour we finished it in 2hours 15. So my goal was to finish the ride in 2 hours. I actually finished it in 1hr 44mins. I am completely stoked with that effort.

What would you do differently?:

Stay with my riding group next time. I dind't realise we had dropped them until I was ready for a break from riding up the front. Next time I'll make sure we stick with them to make it a little easier. If you can draft why not make the most of it.
Post race
Warm down:

Headed straight for the first aid tent to get some ventolin.
Met up with everyone from my riding group including the guys who did the two laps 106km. wow. Drank lots of powerade and water. Then headed out to brunch with everyone

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The smoke, I really struggled breathing deeply with the smoke and was wheezy the entire way. My heart rate avged 170 for the whole ride which is way higher then it should have been.

My hand as well I just couldn't change gears in the last 8km of the race. I'm a little concerned about it now as I still dont' have any strength in my left hand can't even sign my name at work at the moment. hmm will go get it checked out if its still like this tomorrow. Will look at where my hands are positioned on my bike too. I think because there was so many opeople there i was a little nervous riding with people who didn't know what they were doing so possibly was gripping pretty hard.

Event comments:

Great Ride, its not really a race although you are timed. They include a really really big steep long hill which I can just mange to get up but it was quite dangerous with non riders trying it too.

Last updated: 2005-11-20 12:00 AM
Biking
01:44:00 | 53 kms | 30.58 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/3500
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 1 lap around the Swan River. Beautiful ride!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 30
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-11-20 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Great Perth Bike Ride

2005-11-20 10:50 PM
in reply to: #289190

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: Great Perth Bike Ride
Wow - sounds like pretty harsh conditions to ride in - hope your hand is better tomorrow.
2005-11-20 11:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Nice average speed there for 53kms!  Great effort.

Little worried about that hand though - hope it gets better or you see someone about it pronto.

2005-11-21 6:21 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-11-21 12:53 PM

Expert
Herndon VA
Mel,

Great race and report. It sounds like a tough ride, especially riding in a big pack with new riders. Riding in a pack is always nerve racking, even with people who know what they are doing. It also sounded like a good chance to work on the nutrition thing. To me that is the hardest part of long distance events.

I thought I should warn you, the international Olympic commitee has begun testing for abuse of Vegamite. While there are some benefits to Vegamite, they have found some serious side effects such as back hair, the desire to do the Macarena, an appreciation for Milli Vanili and the uncontrollable urge to put beets on your hamburger. So, just step away from the Vegamite.

All kidding aside, congratulations on a great ride.

Ernie
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Perth Bike Ride Rss Feed