United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 13s
Overall Rank = 129/236
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 8/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:48. Drank shake with ice, water, one scoop protein, one scoop endurox. Drove to event.
Event warmup:

Strecthed out
Run
  • 28m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I should have warmed up some. I felt bad all during the first run. Like I couldn't really get started. Also just didn't feel great. My slacking off this week definetely kicked my a$$ in this race. But it seemed to be unaviodable at the time. But I could really tell I had been working like a dog instead of training.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up a little before the race. Not have my last run be a week ago.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I guess this should be in the run section but I defenitly drank too much water before the race. After the first mile I relize that I really had to pee. So after the run I hauled a$$ to the bathroom and let fly. This is bad because it is the second race in a row that this has happened. I need to remember this and not drink so much water in the morning.

again with the water
Bike
  • 38m 14s
  • 11 miles
  • 17.26 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was not made for me in so many ways. When I'm on the bike I like to get going in a good pace then go into the big gears and start grinding it out. I don't do well when i can't get into a rythem and get into the big gears to get up speed. There were so many little twists and turns; just didn't favor a bulky power rider. High Cadence and finesse were the names of the game this race. I have neither. The worse part came when making a turn. It was a 180 turn and I came in a little too fast. Also I didn't coast, I was pedaling. I was leaning hard for the turn and my pedal hit the ground and then threw anything me off. I think I may have over compensated or maybe it was just inevitable. My back tire lost traction and started coming around then my front wheel turned and I was ass over tea kettle sliding across the road. As the guy behind me later told me, " you hit that ground like a ton of bricks". But I got up and got back on and kept riding, it was hard to shift because my hand wouldn't stop bleeding and there was blood all over the right side of the handlebars/aerobars/shifter.

Not crash
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Run
  • 08m 44s
  • 1 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty bad but got 2nd in my group so I guess everyone else was feeling worse. A little discomfort from the crash but it wasn't in the joint it was all superficial. I was neck and neck with a guy and the last 100 yards I turned on the juice and started sprinting. The good news is I won, the bad news is the guy was a lot older. I also almost knocked the guy who takes your chips over when I came into the shoot a little fast.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to about 1/2 mile point and waited for dad to come around. Then ran in with him to help him out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not in good enough shape. Crashed. Course did not play to my strenths. In that order.

Event comments:

It was awesome to do a race with my dad. He has been running ever since I can remember so it was cool to do this with him. He is going to try a sprint next year I think. The raceday people took some pics of us I hope they come out. On a totally different note, Road rash sucks. I had to go to her house and wake up the girl I have been dating so she could help me clean this stuff out. She was not happy when I woke her up (she is a partier) and even less happy when she saw what I had woken her up for. But she was a good sport and helped me clean it so it will heal up nicely. Although she wasn't happy about me having less skin on my right hip/butt.

Last updated: 2005-12-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:00 | 03.1 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/15
Overall: 0/236
Performance: Bad
Course: Course was nice enough. When I streched before the race I was looking over a nice little bay, I guess that was saftey harbor. I had never been there before. Too bad they couldn't find a way to incorporate the water in the route. Maybe that is just the Tri guy in my talking.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:13
Overall: Bad
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:38:14 | 11 miles | 17.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/15
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: Definitly did not like the course. Did not play into any of my strenths. It was slightly hilly with a lot of turns. There were also speed bumps at a few placed and one street was brick pavers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:08:44 | 01 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/15
Performance: Average
Course: Quick 1 mile loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-12-03 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl
Subject: Safety Harbor Duathlon

2005-12-03 3:10 PM
in reply to: #297998

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Safety Harbor Duathlon
Nice Race Rick  So cool you did it with your dad !!  Hope the road rash heals up quick!!
2005-12-05 7:54 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
We need pics of road rash!  Congrats on finishing!  I hate duathlons- they kill the legs!  Your second run time was faster than your first- good job!
2005-12-05 10:07 AM
in reply to: #298685

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl
I don't know if i feel really comfortable posting pictures of partial butt shots without skin on it, and i don't think I could take a pic of my shoulder. It is the most annoying on my hand. Just because people keep trying to shake my hand. But overall it is healing pretty quick. By the time I got to the second run I felt pretty good and warmed up. It was cold so I had just started to sweat during the middle of the bike.
2005-12-05 2:36 PM

User image

Buttercup

Ouch! Bummer about the tumble but it always makes for a more dramatic race report (and you know how we like to be entertained here at BT).

Great job on your running and your biking was pretty strong too - you sound pretty hard on yourself.

I'll withhold comment about your gf's sense of compassion. (Did I just comment?)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Safety Harbor Duathlon Rss Feed