Sports Performance
20C / 68F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 07m 15s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20 - 29
Age Group Rank = 7/16
Pre-race routine:

Shocking nights sleep. there was a dance party down near the beach I think. The wind kept blowing the noise towards my house every couple of mins from around 3am till 5am so didn't sleep well.
woke up grabbed some toast and vegemite (Just for your sake Ernie!)
It was raining when I left my house to drive to the race site, raining and windy, I really considered going back to bed asd I hadn't paid for the race yet.
Event warmup:

I was really tired and didn't really feel like doign the race. I was just doing it as a training and practice race as its the first one for the season, I just couldn't sort myself out and was a bit muddled not nervous at all just couldn't sort stuff out. I havent' been like that before. (I'm thinking the night out on Fri night was prolly not the best preparation)
I jumped in the water a little early and did a few strokes to warm up. I've never done that before a race before and I think it really helped! The rain had stopped just before the race start but it was fairly windy
Swim
  • 00m
  • 400 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Not sure of the times yet and I wasn't aware of it at the time but I came out of the swim in second position!! I felt good ni the water but I wasn't pushing it at all, I could definately have gone faster. It was a good comfortable swim. I got a really good starting position on the outside right up the front so had no problems at all fighting with people for spots. but I didn't have anyone to draft off. (I kept looking for someone to draft off but realised now that as I was up the front there wasn't anyone duh)
What would you do differently?:

Push it harder as I felt really comfortable I could have gone out harder
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I thought I did ok in the transition as I put socks and shoes on its going to take a little longer.

Dad was watching and said I need to get faster in the transition I came out of the swim in 2nd but left the transition in 5th so I need to get quicker there. I don't think I can go without the socks though, my feet just blister way to easy.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 16 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

This course has some pretty serious hills in it. going out it was fine and managed the hills pretty well and was pushing it hard in the aerobars on the flat. Coming back in the wind was really bad. I struggled pushing it into the wind and up the hill. i thought i was going backwards climbing the hill the wind was so strong. I passed a few people but was passed by about the same amount of people. I didn't feel all that good on the bike

try riding on a day where there is no wind (not likely in summer in Perth) more wind riding practice.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Dad said this transition was pretty quick. got my bike shoes off easily and my runners now have elastic laces so I slipped them on and was off really quickly.

learn how to get bike shoes off while still on bike.
Run
  • 00m
  • 4 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

I just couldn't push the run any harder. I felt average running, things just hurt and then stopped hurting and something else would hurt. I think I was going a fairly all right pace but I know I can go alot faster. Funnily I felt fantastic the last 100m and could have kept running so hopefully that is a good sign for the longer tri next weekend.
The wind was a bit of an issue to it was strong enough to notice when you turned around and ran into the headwind

Run more
Post race
Warm down:

did some stretches chatted to all the girls and won a spot prize (a new bottle cage for my bike) I stayed for the presentations and then headed straight up to Rock-it (a music festival with Spiderbait, Oasis and Foo Fighters hard work after a tri)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

umm I think I need to do more training just not sure where I can fit it in. It was the first tri for the season and was just taking it as a training session. so was fairly happy with it allreally. will see what the times say

Event comments:

Good race overall its fun with just women a little less competetive then the other races and so supportive.
quite a few people where there taking photos so I should have some photos to post with this report soon!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-12-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 400 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: A triangle course following the shore in the river
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 16 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Two laps, two big hills to climb out and back. Very windy in one direction
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 04 kms |  min/km
Performance:
Course: 2 laps of a flat course
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-12-05 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Womens Specific Tri

2005-12-06 9:50 AM
in reply to: #299501

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-12-06 6:41 PM

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Womens Specific Tri
Way to go, Mel. It's great that you came out of the water 2nd and you'll get faster in the other 2 areas as the season goes on. It sounds like the new bike worked out well and it must have been fun racing with family watching. I like the vegamite comment but do you really want everyone to know that you use performance enhancing substances. Looking forward to pictures and congratulations on the spot prize.

Ernie
2005-12-06 9:10 PM

Master
Red Sox Nation
Good job!  I can only pray for as good a race!
2005-12-06 9:35 PM

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Ok I've been very brave and added photos even though me in lycra just doesn't look good!  I don't think you can see but on the photo of me running,  check out the guy in the background he is soo looking at my big butt.  hahahah!

2005-12-06 9:37 PM

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Thanks for the support guys!!  chris you know I'll be your swim coach any time.  Any questions just let me know and I'll try and help. 

Ernie  I'm going to have to write to Kraft one of these days and check out what specific ingredients in vegemite would be performance enhancing,  I'm going to recommend it to everyone lol!~!

thanks foolproof!! when's your next race?

2005-12-07 8:49 AM
in reply to: #300651

Expert
Herndon VA
Why do you think guys go to watch a women's only tri?

Ernie
2005-12-07 9:21 AM

Master
Red Sox Nation

Mel, I'm going to make a special trip to Perth just to smack you around.  Those photos are awesome! 

I'm racing today - to see which of my clients can drive me over the edge first.  No ... a little 4 miler on 12/31/05 (recovering calf tear).  Registered for FAU Spring 4/9/06 and St. A's on 4/30/06.

Let me know on the vegamite, eh?

2005-12-09 9:10 AM
in reply to: #300651

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-12-09 4:18 PM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Nice race! Good pics.
2005-12-11 12:02 PM

, Alabama

Sounds like you did a great race.  You were brave enough to submit pics...when are you going to post your split times???  Inquiring minds need to know!!!

Sharon

2005-12-11 9:23 PM
in reply to: #303269

Veteran
Perth, Oz

I'm a little frustrated with the organisers its more then a week after the race and still no results available.  I don't think we are going to get split times either I think it'll just be the overall time.  and even that isn't available still.    will put it up if and when it gets posted.

The results from the race I did yesterday are already up!!

2005-12-13 9:52 PM

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Ok over a week later and the times have just been posted on the net.  I did it in 1hr17mins.  there were no splits taken and I didn't have a watch on so I have no idea on the splits unfortunately.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Womens Specific Tri Rss Feed