General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Alternative Training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-07 10:52 AM

Subject: Alternative Training?
I am a 43 year old newbie, and have wanted to do a tri for a few years but never made the decision, but now I need a new challange and I have a feeling that I quickly become a tri fanatic after my first one, but I have to get that first one. I am in very good physical condition because I consistently workout 3-4-5 times per week. Most of my cardio is on the elyptical machine and the one reason for that is that I get back pain in my lower back everytime I run (left side- about an inch below my belt line and about three inches from the center of my back. Since I made the decision of doing a tri this upcoming season I have begun working my lower back more than I have in the past hoping this will help the back problem. I never get this pain unless I run and it is frustrating which is why I am being so descriptive as to exactly where it is hoping for a resolution. I have a few questions; what can this back pain be and has anyone ever experienced this and resolved this the problem? Any recommendations on a good running shoe, because some of my friends have said that could be a big part of the problem, although I have had this problem for a while and have had different running shoes over the years.

Can I in the meantime up my elipse workouts and can I put spinning in place of biking until the weather warms up a little here (I live in New York - Long Island). If most of you folks think that is not a good idea, I have no problem biking in the cold weather, but convenience with my schedule makes spinning easier for now. Also can I work on the run and the bike part without focusing on the swim for another two months? I am very serious about this now that I have made up my mind, in fact I have dropped 10 lbs of fat in the past 6 weeks. This is not new to me the nutrition part, since every spring I do that for beach weather anyway. Usually this time of year (holidays) I weigh about 230 (I am 6'1"), but now I at my summer weight 203, so I have a big headstart.

Any advice I would surely appreciate, I really do look up to you men/woman who do this on a regular basis year after year and I would love to be in that company some day.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by Bill Jan 2005-12-07 11:20 AM

2005-12-07 10:58 AM
in reply to: #300984

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Alternative Training?

I haven't heard about that training method but it sounds intriguing! 

2005-12-07 1:12 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Bill:

Not to get overly excited about it but you might want to get your back x-rayed by an orthopod ... could it be a disk? Hip?  Your body is trying to tell you something and there might be an easy "fix" out there.

Training is commonly divided into phases: base, build and peak ... this means that you are training the muscles related to each discipline in a different manner (duration, intensity and so forth) in each of these phases.

This site has some pretty good articles on training methodologies as well as different plans to follow to get you there.  Also there are a couple good books out there to read on the subject that do not get too technical + dry.

I am currently reading "Triathlete Magazine's Complete TRiathlon Book" by Matt Fitzgerald http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446679283/ref=pd_sim_b_4/102-0870110-1848160?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155 and others swear by Joe Friel's Triathlete Training Bible (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931382425/ref=pd_bxgy_img_b/102-0870110-1848160?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

I know that this is a little more entailed than the quickie answer you were looking for, but in the end it really will help you get your training going down the right path as well as some insight on technique.

Also check out the local (indoor) pools for a Masters Swim Class or you can search via their web site http://www.usms.org/ to see if they have one listed near you.  The sooner you start swimming the better you'll be at it.

Welcome!

2005-12-08 1:03 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
The pain you describe sounds a little bit like your sacroiliac joint which absorbs a lot of impact when you run.  You need to see a doctor who will help you sort out your pain and get you on track to balancing out your back issues before you develop or reinforce bad body mechanics and habits.  Look for a sports doctor, a rehab doctor or a good PT who can do a thorough evaluation.  You can start with your regular doc, tell him your plans, and that you'd like to get a referral to the best person to sort out your problem.  A round of PT may help you get sorted out before you take on new sports.

WHen you say "work on" our swimming, what do you mean?  are you a swimmer by background?  If not, start swimming now! 
2005-12-08 8:11 AM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Hey

Where on LI are you - I am in Middle Island...

I often do spin classes and/or ride the trainer and/or exercise bike for some of my biking in the long cold winter. I find that spin bikes are the closest to actually biking with the geometry of them.

I would make sure to get your back checked out before you start any really intense training.

Take care...
2005-12-08 8:23 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Not that this is the cure, but i had a similiar problem with my lower back hurting when I started running. It would pretty much hurt (pretty bad) all the time and I coudln't figure out why. I went to a chripratcor which helped a little bit, but not much. I found out later that I was in the wrong type of running shoes- I was in cushioning and should have been in a stability shoe. Once I changed to a stability, my lower back pain went away. So making sure you're in the running shoe is a good thing to do. Also seeing a doc is good option too if you continue to have problems!

2005-12-08 9:40 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I just made an appointment to see a sports medicine doctor for tomorrow am.

Runnergirl, what is the difference between a cushioning shoe and a stability shoe? I have very little knowledge when it comes to running shoes/technicques. I ran mostly when I played high school football, since that is all quarterbacks did when not practicing and in college as a pitcher ran very much, but not with running shoes, just cleats or regular sneakers. During basketball season, it was all about sprinting up and down the court now long distance paced running, that is the only time it happens. I have been doing so much reading and reasearch on the triathlon that I have already got the bug. As I said I live on Long Island and I am just finding out how many tri's there are and when they are. By the way, you are right about pink, looks great on ya. Thx

Middle Island Mike, I live in Locust Valley, probably about 40 miles from you.

Thanks

Bill
2005-12-08 9:47 AM
in reply to: #301698

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Bill Jan - 2005-12-08 10:40 AM Thanks for the feedback, I just made an appointment to see a sports medicine doctor for tomorrow am. Runnergirl, what is the difference between a cushioning shoe and a stability shoe? I have very little knowledge when it comes to running shoes/technicques. I ran mostly when I played high school football, since that is all quarterbacks did when not practicing and in college as a pitcher ran very much, but not with running shoes, just cleats or regular sneakers. During basketball season, it was all about sprinting up and down the court now long distance paced running, that is the only time it happens. I have been doing so much reading and reasearch on the triathlon that I have already got the bug. As I said I live on Long Island and I am just finding out how many tri's there are and when they are. By the way, you are right about pink, looks great on ya. Thx Middle Island Mike, I live in Locust Valley, probably about 40 miles from you. Thanks Bill

Oh my goodness- there's so much to talk about when it comes to running shoes. Anyone else want to take a stab at this? 

I honestly think that you should make sure you're in the right running shoes- it can make a world of difference and eliminate a lot of aches and pains.  You can go to a specialty running store and they'll fit you for the right type of shoe.  If you're seeing a sports med doc he/she might be able to help you out with shoes, or at least mine can becuase he's a marathoner.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to bring your running shoes with you.  They can look at the bottoms and see where they're wearing and help determine if it's the right shoe for you.

Basically there are 3 types- motion control, stability, and cushioning.  The type of arch you have (low, high, normal) and how much/little your foot rolls inward or outward determines which type of shoe you need to be in.  You can check it out on road runner sports.com  They have pics. of arches and then the shoes are coded appropriately so you know which shoe is which type.  I hope that helps!

Edited by runnergirl29 2005-12-08 9:50 AM
2005-12-08 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Seattle, California
I think that I had the same problem as you. My lower back used to hurt so much I had to stop running when I first started. It was pretty intense. Then I bought a new pair of running shoes and no more back pain. The old shoes were 4 year old running shoes that I thought would be ok because they were only used for walking around. I would recomend that you get your back checked out, but also go to a running specific store and get fitted with a pair of running shoes. They should be able to suggest the correct shoe for your needs.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Alternative Training? Rss Feed