Walt Disney World
43F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m
Overall Rank = /16000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Orlando the evening before, checked-in to the hotel, and picked up my race packet at the fitness expo at Disney's Wide World of Sports. Purchased a white mesh 1/2 marathon cap to wear during my walk. I was so excited to be there. The energy in the air was palpable. Later, I joined my fellow Team in Training team at the pasta party at Epcot. There were team members there from all across the nation. It felt wonderful to be a part of such a wonderful organization. I raised $2490.00 for this race. I am really proud of myself.

Saturday morning pre-race: woke up at 2:30am, dressed, and took the bus to EPCOT at 3:30am, where they had us in a holding area with a stage and a band playing. It was about 43 degrees, but w/ the wind it felt like 38 degrees. I was perfectly dressed in my long-johns, sweat pants, socks and sneakers, then my long sleeve donald duck marathon shirt, my TNT shirt, and my white fleece sweat jacket. My cap, my purple scarf and gloves were the finishing items, and what kept me the warmest. Made the line for the port-a-potty... and dropped off my little bag w/ my water bottle in baggage claim. There were 16,000 of us doing the half mary today.
Event warmup:

We mostly huddled w/ each other, jumped around, and walked while the guy dressed up as "sarge" from Toy Story pumped us up like we were good little marathoners. I drank lots of water, and ate half a banana. At about 5:15am our team decided to walk the 25 minutes to our corral. On the way, 3 of us had to use the port-a-potty again... me included.
Run
  • 2h 26m
  • 7 miles
  • 20m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I was so excited to be there. I felt good despite still being rather congested. But I was dressed warmly, and the clean, crisp air just infused me w/ happy energy. I kept my pace, which was slower than my usual, but still not too much slower. I drank gatorade at every stop I along the way, which helped a lot. I wanted to do as much as I thought I could, so I set a goal of 3.5 miles. I was aware of the sweepers on the course, but I just kept chugging along. When I kept passing mile after mile, and realizing how strong I was feeling, my endorphins were running amok in my body and head. By mile 5 I was ecstatic, and realized I would make it to Main Street and Cinderella's castle. I'm really just a big kid when it comes to Disney. The air is just different there. Anyway... all of the people standing on the sidelines along the way were cheering us, and thanking us, and it just felt so good. I asked more than one to take my picture. As I approached mile 6 and 7, I started to slow down a bit. I was very nearly at the BOP. The sweepers were riding their bikes next to me and the other walkers around me. But I didn't care. I came when I almost didn't. I surpassed my 3.5 mile goal by double. At mile seven the sweeper suggested I get on the SAG van as I was off the required pace by about 4 minutes. He took my picture at the 7 mile marker w/ a picture of Pluto on it. I was very happy and proud. I joined 5 other walkers already in the van, which took us to a coach for the ride back to EPCOT.
What would you do differently?:

Had I trained properly, I would've shaved some time off my pace. Don't know whether I would've gotten sick or not... I've been getting sick all last year. I realize I cannot just undo years of being sedentary... its going to take time. But I am on the journey, and there's no turning back.
Post race
Warm down:

After the motorcoach dropped us off back at the holding area at EPCOT, I found my TNT tent, checked-in, and met up w/ the rest of my team. They, of course, all had medals around their necks. But they were all very proud of me for the 7 miles I accomplished. I had a pb&j, some snacks, and more water. I continued walking around & mingling, and then headed back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had been sick in bed w/ the flu just a week prior. I was on antibiotics, and other otc medicine. I think the cold actually helped my energy level. Obviously, had I trained properly, I would've performed much faster, and longer.

Event comments:

This was a wonderful event, but then again, it is Disney. Also, the Team in Training part of it was extremely well organized and everything went very smoothly. I feel lucky to have met my fellow team members, and have gotten to know them and this organization during this weekend and the past few months. I regret not having trained more with them when I had the chance. The Miami team raised over $600,000 for this event. That's no small potatoes. Despite it all, I am very happy and proud to have joined TNT, and the Disney Marathon weekend. I want to go back next year.

Last updated: 2005-07-18 12:00 AM
Running
02:26:00 | 07 miles | 20m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/16000
Performance: Good
Finally, it was time for the start. Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy were at the start, there were fire works that went off... and these giant fireballs would erupt from the sides of the start and you could feel their heat as you passed it. I felt good, and oh, so happy and proud that I decided to come.
Course: The course was flat and fun! We started at EPCOT (in an area right next to the entrance), to the entrance to the Magic Kingdom, thru the parking lot where a crew from Disney Cruise Lines welcomed us aboard to their pirate ship (a beverage stop), by the Contemporary Hotel where one of the monorails was stopped overhead, thru Main Street which was still decorated for Christmas, thru Tomorrowland where the Incredibles waved and cheered us on, thru Fantasyland, right thru Cinderella's castle where they took my picture, thru Frontierland, and then to the backstage area where all of the parade floats were parked. Going thru the backstage areas was really cool. I'd never seen any of this in all the years I'd been coming here. The course continued thru this backstage area and the roads leading up to them, and then looped back around to the road heading back to EPCOT.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-01-10 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Subject: Walt Disney World Half Marathon

2006-01-10 11:19 AM
in reply to: #320520

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World Half Marathon
Cari, WOW!!  Girl you did fantastic!! You should be thrilled!!  I'm so happy for you!!
2006-01-10 12:34 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Great job- and way to surpass that goal you had!  Your race report was enjoyable to read.  Thanks for sharing it!
2006-01-10 3:49 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida
You doubled your goal - that is awesome!! Congratulations!
2006-01-10 4:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Congrats!!!  I for one am very proud of you - for even attempting the half after so recently having the flu.

You ROCK!!!

2006-01-10 10:37 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats!

You are brave women to work hard preparing, getting sick and then going on to do double what you thought!

2006-01-11 2:43 PM

Online or Offline

AWESOME JOB Cari! That's a huge amount of money that you raised, and to have beat your goal by DOUBLE is even more impressive! Great attitude, and good for you to have started when you were thinking twice about it - what a great surprise to your day, even though the wagon asked you to hop on.

Post your pics when you can!

2006-01-11 4:25 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Cari-what a great race report.  that's a lot of money to raise, and then a lot of miles to cover given your illness!!!  you rock!  you're going to have a great year with such a fantastic attitude.  you go girl
2006-01-11 7:56 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Congratulastions both on money raised and surpassing your goal.  Just keep at it!!!
2006-01-12 11:17 PM

User image

Boulder, CO
Oh my god, I loved your race report, I am so psyched for you that you exceeeeded your goal!!! YOU blew a sky light into that goal of yours, which is so great, what a testiment to you and your spirit. Keep up the good work. Thanks for inspiring me! Happy New Year!
2006-01-13 4:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

Congratulations!!! Awesome race, what an accomplishment!

Félix

2006-01-14 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Michigan
Excellent job sounds like you had a blast.
2006-01-14 2:34 PM

User image

Elite

Great job Cari.  You should be proud.  Not only for completing 7 tough miles, but for having the courage to join TNT and raise a substantial amount of money for a great cause.  You are truly a hero. 

Congratulations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World Half Marathon Rss Feed