Racing Underground
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 20s
Overall Rank = 71/97
Age Group = Male 0-39-Open
Age Group Rank = 29/34
Pre-race routine:

Reset my alarm clock for an extra 1/2 hour of sleep, then got up, had a yoghurt & oj & headed out for the race. I was pretty tired and didn't want to get out of bed.
Event warmup:

Set up my transition, had a jog, stretched and then waited for the race to start. Ran into another BT'er, RHood, which is always cool.
Run
  • 00m
  • 1.5 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

At the word 'go' everyone just took off and I started to keep up with them, then realized I'm not fast so I settled into my own pace. Stomach got upset after about 10 minutes but then settled down.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start out a little more reasonably and then work into a little more speed.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Lost alot of time here. For this race the second transition was in a different place so you had to bring your running shoes with you on the bike. My plan was put them in the water bottle pockets on my jersey, but me being me, I didn't check that they would fit. So I got into the transition and struggled with my shoes. It felt like longer but I probably lost about 2-3 minutes. It was long enough that I overheard people saying something along the lines of 'he's struggling with that'. Eventually I ended up sticking the shoes up the back of my biking jacket so I could just get out of there.

Pretty obvious...
Bike
  • 00m
  • 10 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Went out at little harder than I meant to - I think the bad transition had something to do with this. I found myself at a higher cadence than normal so I tried to pay more attention and keep to a good pace. Its been a while since I've been off the trainer & it felt good. No problems from my knee afterwards. Caught up to a few people though so overall it was pretty good.

Stick to my race pace.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

The other two transitions were good. In and out pretty quickly. On the run in to the second transition I saw a girl with her shoes ties around the handle bars, so I did this as well. Wish I had thought of it at the 1st one...

Nuttin.
Run
  • 00m
  • 2.5 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The first hill sucked, but I felt pretty strong on the return. Wish I had been keeping track of my time because I felt like my pace was pretty good for me.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with a few people and had an endurox bottle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably just training. I'm still doing all base stuff which for me is very slow.

Event comments:

These races are good practice for keeping to your race plan (which I don't do very well) and a good reminder that being able to do the distance and do the distance fast are two different things. I could probably do this at my own pace & feel pretty fresh at the end, but I get a bit frustrated at being so much slower than everyone. This isn't bad for a short race like this but could hurt me in a longer race if I try to keep up with people or catch people in bright yellow jackets.

Lots of icy patches on the bike which I had to slow down for but still much better than the mtb. I shaved off about 7 minutes (closer to 10 minutes if you take away the time I lost in transition) from the 1st race.

Last updated: 2006-01-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 01.5 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/97
Performance: Average
Course: Out 1/2 mile or so along the road and then on paths back to the transition area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 10 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: I'll put both bike segments here: 1st: 4 miles - Down a hill, then mostly flat out to a parking area where the 2nd transition was. 2nd: 6 miles - Leave the parking lot, mostly flat until you get to the hill from the way out. UP that hill, then off to a turnaround and then back to the finish. Road was dry but there were occasional ice and snow patches which I unclipped for. This slowed me down a bit and was a bit annoying, but still much better than riding the mtb.
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 02.5 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Up a hill, then some rolling hills to the turn around and then back the same way. It was along a dirt path which was mostly snow covered.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-01-21 8:02 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #2

2006-01-21 10:14 PM
in reply to: #329196

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #2

Nice RR.  Sorry I missed you!   Looks like you took off some time using the road bike!  That's what I went with too.  I agree, it was icy!

2006-01-23 8:44 PM
in reply to: #329196

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #2
Great job lowering your previous time so much!! WOW! And you have major porkage for getting out there in the coldl!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #2 Rss Feed