Trievents
33C / 91F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m
Overall Rank = 299/344
Age Group = Open Team
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

I slept really badly I think because it was so hot, very warm night. the start of a very warm Perth day. Woke up fairly early but as the race was in the centre of the city it didn't have to be too early which was a nice change. Had the usual vegemite on toast breakfast. Immediately after eating I started feeling really sick in my stomach. I thought I'd learnt how to eat before a race without being sick but obviously as I was doing a longer race my tummy was telling me just how nervous I was.
Event warmup:

Drove over to dad's house and we drove into the city together. Having registered the day before we got there a little later then we normally would. I was panicking a little as I like to be there super early but dad is totally different to me. Luckily as I was doing it in a team the team racks were relatively empty. Racked the bike and set up my gear. Found my team mate. In the meantime my poor dad decided he couldn't race as he had come down with a really really bad cold. He spent the time driving in deciding if he was going to race. Poor dad was really looking forward to this race and was considering a trip to Switzerland for the world champs as he was pretty certain he'd qualifiy. Oh well theres always next year.

I wandered around trying to make myself stop feeling so sick. Nothing really helped and I was worried I was in for a bad race. Headed to the race briefing which made me even more nervous and then it was time for the race start!
Swim
  • 27m 50s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

the water was 26C so it was definately a no wetsuit race which I was well happy about being that I don't have a wetsuit I didn't want to be the only one without a wettie.

Headed out towards the buoy for a deep water start feeling very nervous and anxious. (unsual for me when I'm in the water) Suddenly the race had started, alot of the girls missed the buzzer start including me. so flicked on my HRM watch and off I went. The water in that part of the river is absolutely disgusting, very very brown and you can't see anything at all. Which made for an interesting swim. It was a bit of a battle at the start to find some clear water and not get thumped copped a fairly big whack to the head but just kept swimming and managed to swim over the top of someone I don't know how. (you really couldn't see anything in the river at all)

Settled into a really good pace and started to relax into the swim. I wasn't sure how fast to take it as I've never raced this distance before so I think I took it a little easier then I should but I was comfortably swimming along. A few mishaps along the way though. there were buoys marking out the course but as it was early morning everytime I looked up to sight the sun was right in my eyes which made it very difficult to see the buoys. we hit one set of buoys and a heap of girls turned round it which made me start to question if I was on the right course or not. After a bit of deliberation I realised that I definately was on the right course as we had only swum about 400m. So I continuted lost a few spots but at least I was heading the right direction. the girls that went the wrong way were picked up by the lifeguards and made to swim back to the buoy and back on track.

When I rounded the correct buoys we started to pass the guys in the wave ahead. which made it a bit tricky as I kept swimming almost over people. you couldn't see them till you were pretty much on top of them.

rounded the last buoy and headed into the river bank which had a really really steep ramp set up for us to climb out. It was very slippy and steep so took all your effort to hang onto the rail and haul yourself out.
What would you do differently?:

Learn what pace I need to swim at for a 1.5k distance. I should have gone out a bit faster I think.
I need a new tri top or a tri suit. My tri top seems to have gone a bit baggy (or I've lost weight) I think a bit of both anyway It definately was ballooning out and I could feel it causing drag.

Be confident in my decision making regarding the course, I always listen well to the briefing so shouldn't doubt my decisions.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

I had a crap transition. ran into transition area fine but I seem to dawdle putting my shoes and socks on. I shoudln't really have put socks on that was a waste of time. also one of the guys doing it in a team was chatting to me and said I had brown stuff from the river all over my face so I stopped and wiped my face off etc.

I gotta work on focusing in transition. and got to learn about doign the shoes on my bike etc. My transitions need work big time.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 55s
  • 44 kms
  • 31.09 km/hr
Comments:

Jumped on the bike and the first 2ks were really tough. I started to worry that this was going to turn into a bad race. I focused on eating a gel and not on how bad my legs were feeling. I had bought a little fuel flask thing the day before and diluted my gel with a bit of water into that flask and could sip the gel. I had a much easier time eating it and digesting it this way. I'm soo glad one of the guys in my riding group taught me that trick.

After the first couple of k's I relaxed and my legs felt good. it was a five lap course and windy on the out part of the lap. But completely flat. so I decided that I would try and keep it on 30k's on the out and then push it hard on the way back in. First lap I sat on 35k's on the way back in.

Being a National series race and qualifying spots for World champs it was a busy course and at times quite hard not to draft a little. However there was some really blatant drafting going on out there with the super fast guys.

I managed to keep my pace right on for the 5 laps and got up to over 40k's on the way back in on most laps. And on my last lap I flew back in towards transition. Knowing I wasn't doing the run I really pushed the ride more then usual.

It was hot out on the course but I felt great my legs felt great and I really wished I was doing the run too!

Umm just more riding so I get faster. had my nutrition and drinking pretty much spot on I think. and my race plan was spot on too. I'm sure I can learn more but at the moment I did the best I could :)
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

As I was doing this in a team I jumped off the bike ran my bike to the racks and my team mate took of the timing belt, I took of my race belt and put it on her as she was putting on the timing belt. Quick as we could!

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 03m 45s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 23s  min/km

I didn't do the run :)
Post race
Warm down:

I drank lots and lots of water and changed into something to cover up from the sun immediately as it was hot and sunburny. Then headed down to watch the rest of the race. And cheer my team mate on and everyone else I knew competing. I was cheering the whole time there were soo many people I knew out there. I did absolutely no stretching which was stoopid.

then watched the elite men and women race a sprint distance race. WOW I don't think I could ever come close to being that fast. great event to watch. I can't wait for the commonwealth games events. I felt really sorry for the poor English girl I think her name was Emma (cant' remember now) but racing in 33C heat really took its toll on her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being my first Olympic distance I wasn't sure how to pace myself so probably could have gone faster on the swim.

Event comments:

I loved this race, I was so nervous about the distance and I was completely fine over the distance I really wish I could have done the run, but It was definately best not to push my quad to quickly. I did feel like I had enough left in the tank to keep going though. I'm actually looking forward to my next couple of races now esp the Olympic on the 2nd of April.

Overall it was a great day, especially watching the elite races.

Last updated: 2006-02-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:50 | 1500 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 158/344
Performance:
Suit:
Course: U shaped course in the River. Deep water start, 825m along river left hand turn at buoy 50m towards river bank left hand turn at buoy and then back along to a ramp out of the river.
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 26C / 79F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:55 | 44 kms | 31.09 km/hr
Overall: 272/344
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 5 Laps of a very flat course along the river.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:03:45 | 10 kms | 06m 23s  min/km
Overall: 334/344
Performance:
Course: 3 Laps M shaped
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-02-05 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: City of Perth Triathlon

2006-02-05 8:22 PM
in reply to: #339346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: City of Perth Triathlon
Mel, you had a great day out!
Did your team come first? Brilliant, if that's the case, as it appears to be!

What a great lead up to April 2.
2006-02-05 8:58 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Hey Mel - your swim time ac tually looks pretty good to me!! Awesome job on the race and I hope you are now feeling more confident - and i see you won your age group too! Wow!!!!!

Awesome....

Cat

2006-02-05 10:01 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Awesome Race!

No need for you to be nervous...you guys won it appears!

Swim seemed a bit unpleasant but you hung tough and got it going well. Next time you know how to pace yourself. It great to learn something from each race!

2006-02-05 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

Hey Mel, loved the report, your team rocks!!

Roll on the 2nd April.

Did you get a prize, medal or trophy??

2006-02-06 4:44 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-02-06 6:26 PM

Expert
Herndon VA

Yeah Mel, great race and report.  Wow, you're getting fast on the bike and you are definitely a swim goddess.  Although, I'm not sure why you picked the transition to hit on men.  It couldn't wait until the end of the race.   

Sorry about your Dad not being able to race. 

Congratulations.

Ernie

2006-02-07 2:14 AM

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Oh thanks for all the great responses guys

I may have forgotten to write in there that we seem to have won the teams category but I don't know if that was quite correct so didn't put it in the rac report.  We did actually get our names called up and we were given a mug each with the name of the tri on etc.   But I'm sure there were other teams that came in before us.  (there were only 5 teams but shhh no one needs to know that )

Yes I'm definately more confident now.  I get really nervous before I do something for the first time.  Now I know I can do it hopefully I'll be able to control the nerves a little better,  its not so much my brain that stresses out its more my tummy.

2006-02-07 2:17 AM
in reply to: #339476

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Chris Tree - 2006-02-06 5:44 PM Once again mel! Awesome Swim!!! I came over to watch you, I dressed up in a sharksuit so as not to stand out, guess I picked the wrong beach though! Sounds like the nerves were maybe getting the better of you before the race, but good for you overcoming them and getting on with it! that swim sounds scary stuff to me! My biggest worry is people swimming over me! You kept your cool though and posted a great time! Shame you got caught in T1 chatting, I want a hundred lines from you please, I MUST NOT STOP TO CHAT WHILST RACING! the socks thing is an issue for alot of triathletes, if you can ride without them then it is time scored for free, if you can't you need to practice putting them on with wet feet under pressure! Your bike leg sounds good. YOu said it seemed tough at first, that was probably just the initial 'getting into it' as your average speed is almost 20mph, which ain't bad! I love the gel flask Idea - I gotta get me one! Good T2 - looks like it worked perfectly! shame you weren't running - I'd have loved to have seen you finish with a great 10K, but like you say best rest that quad for the mo! GOOD RACE! PS - Shame about your Dad's race - I bet he would have qualified too!

hehe was that you in the shark suit I just thought that was one of the resident Swan River sharks (apparently there are a couple of sharks that hang in the river wierd huh)  

and I'll have my 100 hundred lines hand written and in the mail to you by tomorrow.  My dad would like that idea too.  He told me off for my transition felt like a little kid again hehe. 

yeah I did find the ride toughfor the first two k's or so which I'm sure ws just getting settled into the bike once I got going I felt great!

and there will be a race with the 10k run added on soon.  Hopefully anyway

2006-02-07 2:18 AM
in reply to: #340144

Veteran
Perth, Oz
ejc999 - 2006-02-07 7:26 AM

Yeah Mel, great race and report.  Wow, you're getting fast on the bike and you are definitely a swim goddess.  Although, I'm not sure why you picked the transition to hit on men.  It couldn't wait until the end of the race.   

Sorry about your Dad not being able to race. 

Congratulations.

Ernie

LOL!! I wish I'd thought of that Ernie I should ahve stopped and got his phone number while I was having a chat.  then there would have been an excuse for stopping for a chat.

2006-02-07 3:28 AM
in reply to: #340310

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-02-09 11:22 PM
in reply to: #340314

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Chris Tree - 2006-02-07 4:28 PM
splerph - 2006-02-07 8:18 AM
I wish I'd thought of that Ernie I should ahve stopped and got his phone number while I was having a chat

You could have asked one of the marshalls for a marker and got him to write his number on your arm. That would have confused the time keepers! Alternatively you could have run to your car and got your handbag(purse) got your pen and note book run back to T1, where i am sure he would still have been waiting, written out his number, run back to the car and deposit your bag safely back at the car, run back to T1 and continue with the race! - or would that take too long???

Oh man seriously guys  you and Ernie should be giving me these kind of tips before my races not after.  lol!  I'm thinking instead of the advice about training and racing this is much more important stuff.  

*mental note*  "remember to pack a texta in my tri bag just in case this happens next time

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Perth Triathlon Rss Feed