General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Memphis Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-13 2:10 PM

User image

New user

Memphis, TN
Subject: Hello from Memphis
Been lurking for a while and it's time I down in writing what I'm trying to do. I feel really out of place (among the athletes) here so far.

I know so little about this "fitness" thing because for most of my life (turning 50 in March) I actively avoided hearing/learning anything about it, considering most of the info bs voodoo since it seemed to change with the fashions. But mostly because I was always tall and thin and considered myself active but not an athlete. Starting around 40 I started steadily gaining weight each year, it really crept up on me, found myself buying slightly larger clothes each year.

It took a long time for me to start thinking of myself as "overweight" since I'm 6' 7" tall. People would tell me "you can carry it" and insist I "didn't look fat", just big. But I'm really not a big guy, I was looking like a linebacker when I'm really built on a thin frame.

Slowly I begin to realize that I was really out of control. One wake-up call came because I race catamaran sailboats and found that I was now class legal as a two man crew all by myself at 300 lbs. (minimum crew weight for two people on my Hobie 18 is 295lbs.) Another was when I finally started reading fitness and health information and found out my BMI was 34, well into the "obese" category.

I was obese!!?? How could that be? I'm a thin guy! Something had to change, but I wasn't ready to really embrace or even learn much about fitness. I'd lost weight before practically just by thinking about it, (something my sisters, mother, and SO's were always annoyed at). I figured I could lose the weight by simply avoiding that second cheeseburger or pizza (yes, whole large Pizza Hut pizzas), but I really didn't take seriously the BMI weight for my height. According to that, I needed to be under 220 lbs to get into the top of the "normal" range. That just didn't seem realistic for a 49 year old at 6' 7".

But surprisingly, over the course of a year I dropped all the way down to 230 using my "stop eating until you are sick" diet method. As I got lighter, my sailing improved, I was a lot less tired at regattas, and got a lot of compliments. (although some people who only knew me at my peak weight were concerned I had cancer or something!) Since I was feeling better I started using dumbbells and taking the occasional walk.

My goal had evolved from simply losing pounds to becoming fit and healthy. I want to be in the best shape of my life when I turn 50, so in looking for a goal/target to work towards I discovered triathlon. I like the variety, the technical aspects, and the equipment. (toys)

But I have several challenges:

1. I've never been a runner in my life. Even when I was in shape and swimming in college I always hated to run and only did it when forced.

2. I didn't have a bike and soon discovered that purchasing a bike that fit me was going to be either difficult or expensive. After a couple of months I found a very large old steel road bike on eBay that I hope will do to get me started. See bike in my post in this thread

3. I've never even met anyone who has done a triathlon, and I've never seen one. So I signed up for the Memphis in May OLY on May 21. (Got my USAT card in the mail last week!)

4. I don't have access to swim training, the YMCA close to me used to have a winter pool, an outdoor pool with a giant plastic bubble, but they lost it in a storm and haven't replaced it. I haven't found any master swim clubs or anything like that in the Memphis area.

So anyway, other than the swim, bike, and run I'm all set! I have about 13 weeks before MIM and I'm pretty much starting from scratch. My weight is at 218. Do I have any chance of finishing? Or should I plan on being a spectator? If you are still with me, thanks.

I didn't start out to write a book. But I think I'm going to need some help to get this done. I'm attending a beginner triathlon clinic this weekend, so maybe I'll meet some locals.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome,

Edited by damon 2006-02-13 2:12 PM

2006-02-13 2:21 PM
in reply to: #344931

User image

Regular
Memphis, TN
Subject: RE: Hello from Memphis
Damon,

Welcome and as you can see I am from the Memphis area and can probably help you out in many of the areas you need. I have done MIM and will be doing it this year.

To answer a simple question can you finish it??? Yes!!! You can do anything if you put your mind to it....

PM me and I can give you some suggestions.......

Jim
2006-02-13 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Welcome to Bt from another Tennessean. Great job on dropping the weight and taking the first step in signing up for Memphis. I dont know if you have noticed under the Tennessee thread for the MIM but there are so far close to 20 people from this website that will be doing it.(you can also reach the link from my training page) It will also be my first triathlon and I came about it similar to you when I got my BMI. All the information you need is here just ask specific questions and ou can get what you are looking for. Good Luck on your training and I will see you in Memphis. I think we will all be getting together to that weekend so just watch fro threads.
2006-02-13 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
2006-02-13 10:15 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Damon:

Welcome to BT ... from reading your post, I can assure you that you're at the right place. Many folks are here to share the lessons they learned from starting exactly where you are right now.

The first thing I would suggest is to pick a training program - and stick to it.  Second thing is to get into a Masters Swim class - pronto. Third is to start slowly.

I know that MIM is but 13 weeks away, but you have to build a base in order to develop the endurance you need to finish the ~32 miles in May.  So while it may seem counterintuitive, long and slow distances are more beneficial than short fast ones - even if you try to build upon each time out. 

To put it another way, build up the volume of your work outs (distances) and focus not on the time (intensity). 

If you build a solid base, you will then have the endurance to build your speed.

Good luck!

- Brian

2006-02-13 10:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

Damon,

I was born and raised in Memphis.  I'm older too, but not tall!  Memphis in May 2004 was my first attempt at an Oly and my only DNF, I am not a swimmer, had only been swimming for about a year and freaked out in the swim.

The Y downtown was offering Masters swim when I was there in 2004.

MIM is a great race.  I was thinking of coming back this year to avenge my only DNF.

BT is a great resource. Welcome.

2006-02-14 1:41 AM

User image

Memphis, Tn
Welcome to the group. I wish I had known about that seminar in advance, I would have liked to go to it.

Don't be ashamed about the bike you have, there will be plenty of us out there on old steel bikes. I myself have a '94 Steel frame Quintana Roo that I will be using.

The YMCA in Millington has an indoor pool that I swim at. I don't know about any masters classes. My work schedule kind of prohibits me from working with them.
2006-02-14 10:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC

Aloha Damon,

I lived in Memphis for almost 8 years before moving to Hawaii 3 years ago.  My wife and all her family are from Memphis.  In-laws are all in Collierville.  Welcome to BT, it's been a great tool for helping me with my fitness / triathlon quest.  Best of luck.  I'll be back to check you logs and see how you're doing.  Mark 

2006-02-14 2:07 PM

User image

Damon,

Welcome to BT. I'm here in Little Rock with family in Memphis "High Point". I come over about once a month. I'm 6'4", was 250, now around 210. I also have a used steel frame Lemond that I bought this year. As much as I like those awestruck custome tri bikes for mucho denero, I suppose they help really good athletes compete for a couple of minutes better. Me? I'm for finishing the race. MIM will be my second race and 1st OLY. You'll love training, I've come to love it. I got really bored with other training, but this mixes up good.

Keep in touch with training.

Little Tom
2006-02-14 4:06 PM

User image

Veteran
peoria, az

Welcome,

There are more people from Memphis than I thought. I am also doing MIM and this will be my first Oly. distance. I'm in Bartlett and swim at Bartlett Rec. center. I don't know if that is close to you? When the weather gets a little nicer I would love to meet up with a few of you and ride together. Training in numbers is always good!!

2006-02-14 4:16 PM

User image

Regular
Memphis, TN
If anyone is interested we can get a group together to ride the course out in Millington when it gets a bit warmer. There is also some good riding off Canada Rd. as well. I wasnt aware that there were this many people around this area doing tri's....pretty great!!!

2006-02-14 4:23 PM
in reply to: #345878

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
twolives1 - 2006-02-14 4:06 PM

Welcome,

There are more people from Memphis than I thought. I am also doing MIM and this will be my first Oly. distance. I'm in Bartlett and swim at Bartlett Rec. center. I don't know if that is close to you? When the weather gets a little nicer I would love to meet up with a few of you and ride together. Training in numbers is always good!!

Whoo Hoo!  Someone else in Bartlett!  I close on my house there in march and will be transferred in April!  MIM is going to be great!

2006-02-14 4:41 PM

User image

New user

Memphis, TN
Well thanks for all the welcome messages, I appreciate it.

Glad to see there are some local folks here. I've been trying to decide about joining a healthclub, YMCA, or community center to be able to swim laps and use their weights. I live on the east side of 38119 near the southwest tip of Germantown.

At first I though of the East Memphis YMCA on Quince, but they lost their pool bubble in a storm and so no winter swimming.

I think 24 Hour Fitness on Ridgeway has a pool, but I haven't been in their yet, kind of intimidated by the health club scene.

Germantown Community Center has a great 40m indoor pool but I've heard it's pretty crowded since a couple of swim teams train there.

I just visited the new Schilling YMCA in Collierville, it's really nice and they claim to keep two lanes available for lap training all the time.

Does anyone have opinions about any of these? Or have suggestions?

Sunday on the second day of the Tri clinic I'm attending I'll be at Wellworx in Bartlett (formerly Wimbledon Sportsplex), but Bartlett's really too far away. About 20-25 minutes on a good traffic day. I can get to the Collierville Y in about 10-12 minutes and the others I mentioned are closer than that.

Any suggestions?
2006-02-14 4:52 PM

User image

Regular
Memphis, TN
Damon,

I am a member at Wellworx and they do have a pool as well as a masters swim program. There is also a place in Germantown, which I believe is the Germantown Community Center which has a pool and a really good masters last I remember. There is also a new place called the Prarie Fitness Center which I think is located in Germantown.

Living in Mmephis, I am sure you know that driving anywhere sucks!!!!!!

Jim
2006-02-14 5:25 PM

User image

New user

Memphis, TN
Thanks Jim, I'm going to go check out Prairie Life Center, it's only about 6 miles from me.
2006-02-14 6:27 PM
in reply to: #345952

User image

Veteran
peoria, az

CAVU9 that is great!! Welcome to Bartlett!

damon- Prairie Life is very nice. We have lost a ton of personal trainers to them lately. Also, Germantown, I think, will give you a week pass to check out their stuff. I fight swim teams too. I either swim between 5am-8am or not at all. The afternoons are the worst.

I'm not fast but I would love to ride and swim the course before the race!! When the weather gets nice I'm all over meeting up and checking out the streets. I have only been outside once on the bike since moving here so I need to learn my way.

See, you have found a ton of support already........ no spectator for you!!!

Lisa

2006-02-15 10:47 AM

User image

Regular
Memphis, TN
Damon,

Let me know how Prairie Fitness works out for you.

If anyone is interested in a ride on the weekends let me know. I think this weekend may be rough due to freezing rain, but the weather will break soon. Send me an email. My address is listed in my profile!!!!

Jim
2006-02-15 12:04 PM
in reply to: #346401

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

To all,

I just posted another thread about a Memphis Triathlon Club.  here is the link...let me know if you have any questions!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=35568&posts=1#M346467

See you in a month or so,

Lane

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Memphis Rss Feed