Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
University of Minnesota
Total Time = 1h 50m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stretching at home plus pre-race breakfast of oatmeal with raspberries and an enlgish muffin with peanut butter. Left plenty early for my 10:10 heat start - arrived by 9:00, so plenty of time to get settled and warm-up.
Event warmup:

Set up my "transition area" - though it was a bit of a challenge. I KNOW how to set up a transition area - setting up a locker was a little more challenging, somehow! Met up with Steve, Autumn, and Kelly. Stretched & talked while watching the heat ahead of us swim. Took one PowerGel about 20 minutes before our swim heat started.
Swim
  • 30m
  • 1200 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am clearly not a fast swimmer - but I felt good throughout this swim. Probably could have pushed harder - but for the first workout with all three disciplines in several months, I wanted to be sure I would be able to complete all three well. Next time!
What would you do differently?:

I probably could have pushed harder and added a couple hundred yards more. I HAVE to learn to do a flip turn!
Transition 1
  • 10m
Comments:

This was a standard 10 minute transition for everyone. It probably would have helped if one of the three of us had looked at a watch when we went into the locker room (!) - we made it up to the bike area with about 90 seconds to spare.

Next year I will wear my tri top and just change into my cycling shorts. There is plenty of time, but wet body out of swimsuit and into sports bra is not easy!
Bike
  • 30m
  • 7.38 miles
  • 14.76 mile/hr
Comments:

These bikes were hard to get used to. I didn't feel that changing the resistance helped my speed at all, so I kept it pretty low most of the time. I averaged a full 2.5 mph less than I do when on my own bike on the trainer.

I rode with toe clips for the first time since I'd heard that the SPD clips weren't always reliable. I could tell from looking at the pedals that I would have had issues, but the toe clips definitely felt different. Next time I will also make sure I have more time to adjust seat height. I was riding a bit low.
Transition 2
  • 10m
Comments:

Another 10 minute transition. Drank some water & Powerade, chatted with Autumn, Steve, & Kelly. Nora stopped by to say hello.
Run
  • 30m
  • 2.73 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

About 15 minutes in I started feeling my ITB so I added some walking minutes. I kept the treadmill speed at 5.8 most of the time, with a kick at 6.0 at the end - but with walking intervals of 4.2-4.6. I was disappointed to have the pain since my last run last week was pain-free...

Maybe walk more to start and then run it out, or alternate run/walk throughout to manage the pain.
Post race
Warm down:

Well, it was HOT in there by the time we finished, so it took some serious time to actually cool off. I did some stretching, then showerered & changed before meeting with the rest of the group. By the time we finished, Nora & Rodger were in the water so we chatted, snacked, and watched them race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was first time I have done all three in one workout in a long time. I most definitely need to do more bricks! My ITB slowed down my run and lack of familiarity with the bike may have had some impact on that segment.

Event comments:

This was a fun race - well organized, convenient, and great goodies! It was especially fun to race with BT friends and have a chance to TALK to one another! I will do this race again.

Last updated: 2006-02-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:00 | 1200 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool swim in the wonderful University of Minnesota Aquatics Center. Kelly was on one side of me, Autumn on the other, and Steve two lanes down. We just swam for 30 minutes...
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:00 | 07.38 miles | 14.76 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Stationary bike - the course didn't change much!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 10:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:00 | 02.73 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Treadmill!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-02-13 10:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Subject: Tri-U-Mah Indoor Triathlon

2006-02-14 8:49 AM
in reply to: #345259

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Tri-U-Mah Indoor Triathlon
it was great racing with you, once again! glad you enjoyed yourself. i hope to make this an annual thing, so maybe next year we can have a whole wave of bt'ers.

btw, i signed up for brewhouse, so i'll be there for sure. i can ask my folks about local hotels, if you like. otherwise, maybe we can have a pre-race camp out in my parents' backyard.
2006-02-14 10:06 AM
in reply to: #345259

User image

Master
Minnesota
Subject: RE: Tri-U-Mah Indoor Triathlon
Nice job on Sunday! It was great to meet you and everyone else. I'll hopefully see you sometime this summer!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-U-Mah Indoor Triathlon Rss Feed