Durham Sports Boosters
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 22m 7s
Overall Rank = 10/100
Age Group = 45-50
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and had coffee, toast with peanut butter and jelly, and 1/2 a bananna. Since this was "only a run", it made the pre-race routine pretty easy. This was my wife's first 5k, so I helped coach her on what to do and how to dress.
Event warmup:

I had some really tight ankles this morning, so I spend the better part of 30 minutes doing some light jogging, some pace runs, and stretching, to get ready for this. Couple sips of Gaterade and one last bathroom break and I was good to go.
Run
  • 22m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a fun race - after doing long distance races and triathlons, it's fun to be able throw on a pair of shorts and shoes and just go running!!!

I started near the front line, with about 100 runners and lots of kids I did not want to get stuck behind a large group of slower people. By the time five minutes had gone by, we were out onto the straight roadway, and I was able to see the rest of the field. I was amazed that I could still see the first runner - usually they are long gone by then.

At the one mile point I had a 6 minute, 58 second split - which is a little fast for me. I mentally reassessed where I was, and felt that "what the hell, lets see if I can break my old time". I tried to concentrate on a quick leg turnover, and keeping my breathing at a level that would be substainable for another two miles.

At mile two, my split of 14'30" was a little slower, but still OK. I focused on trying to maintain my pace, and not to let any males pass me. I could still see the front runners, and it looked like I was in 8th place. I was hoping that I would be able to place in my age group if I could hold that pace.

Eventually, two females did pass me - I joked with them that females are OK, but a male would be a race to the death. By mile 3, I was in 10th place, with just a tenth of a mile to go. All of a sudden, I heard the unmistakeable sound of someone trying to pass me. All I could think of is that a 45-50 year old male was coming up to take my spot on the Podium. I kicked out with everything I had in me, and the person still caught up to me briefly - I was able to see that it was a young girl, but I thought, the hell with that, she's not going to pass me right in front of the chute!!! So I went totally anarobic, with a sprint like you would expect in a 50 yard dash (which is about what we had left). I pulled away from her, and just about wiped out the people working the chute as I had a heck of a time getting slowed down once I crossed the finish line.

As they were taking off my race number, I steadied myself on one of my friends working the chute - I'm sure my heartrate was the highest it had ever been. As I walked away, I saw this young girl, around 18 years old, with her hand over her mouth, walking over to the fence, looking like she was going to heave. I'm thinking to myself, that will teach you to try to pass me!!!! I thought about asking her if she was Ok, but she looked like she just needed to be left alone at that moment so I did.

Later that morning, I met that same girl at we were looking at the results that had just been posted. She was commenting to her father that "she tried to pass this old guy, but just couldn't do it". I intoduced myself, and thanked her for helping me run the best 5k of my life. She told me that she was dumbfounded that she could not catch me, as not only is she on the high school track team, but her speciality is the shorter, sprinting races.

I walked away in awe, that in 4 short years, I have gone from a guy that couldn't run a quarter mile if my life depended on it, to someone that is beating high school track team members (that are half my age) at their own game.

What would you do differently?:

This was a perfect race for me - I have not been doing any speed work, since I am training (and tapering) for a marathon in 2 weeks. All the distance and hill work seemed to have help though, as I was able to cut 1 minute and 30 seconds off my run time, and finish 3 in my age group (and bring home hardware) and tenth overall.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged back to where my wife was on the course, and ran the rest of the way in with her and her friend.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This is the forth time I have done this race - the first year I walked it, in 54 minutes. The second year I ran it, with a time of around 27 minutes. The third year I ran it in a time of 23 minutes, 37 seconds. This year, I cut my time down to 22 minutes, 7 seconds.

Event comments:

Awards ceremony stretched out a little bit too long, but the whole thing is done manually so I guess that is to be expected. Overall very well organized, and well done.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-02-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:07 | 03.11 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 10/100
Performance: Good
1 mile - 6'58" 2 mile - 14' 30"
Course: From Durham Elementary School (near the bus shed) go south on Putney, right on Durham Dayton, south on Holland, east on Hanlon, north on Goodspeed and then finish up at the High School gym parking lot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-02-18 5:50 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Subject: Durham Almond Blossom

2006-02-18 5:58 PM
in reply to: #349068

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Subject: RE: Durham Almond Blossom
DENNIS!  Super race!  I'm laughing as I read it!  Glad you and your wife had a good time, and congrats on the hardware!  Really looking foward to the marathon race report.  Again, great job, 'old guy!'  Hehe!
2006-02-19 10:22 PM
in reply to: #349068

User image

Champion
MA

Great Race!!

I love all that you accomplished in just over 22 minutes...beat your old time...smoked your time from 4 years ago, beat a girl less than half your age, and supported your wife in her first 5K!!

Did she have fun? Is she up to try a tri next?

2006-02-20 7:29 AM
in reply to: #349663

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Kathy,Yes, I think my wife did have a good time. She hooked up with a friend, and they ran the whole thing together (she is a talker, and loves company). She had no real pain, and she was able to run the whole thing without stopping (her longest training run had been 2.5 miles).Her next race is a 5k in 2 weeks when I do my marathon in Napa - then who knows. I'm trying not to "push", but rather to show her by example how good it is to be in shape.By the way, Kudo's go out to Ron and this site - I set her up with Ron's couch to 5k program, she followed it religiously, and it worked!!!! Dennis
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Durham Almond Blossom Rss Feed