United States
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 31s
Overall Rank = 154/191
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 13/18
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast omlette of eggs, asparagus, spinach and cheese with side of hash browns about 4 hours before the race. Then a little nap to digest. :)
Event warmup:

Some stretching inside. A quick jog around the parking lot. It was just too cold to do much more.
Run
  • 49m 31s
  • 5 miles
  • 09m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

What was I thinking signing up for a race in February? The forecast high for today was 31* and the wind was kicking. Oh well, I figured this race would put me into that “cold weather warrior” category. As we were leaving the house, there was a *huge* black cloud off to the north. Then the snow showers started.

By the time we got to the race site, the snow had stopped, the sun was out, and the wind had picked up. I got my number and my shirt and hung around waiting for the start. I didn’t warm up much since it was too cold and I didn’t want to tire my legs. Just an easy jog around the parking lot.

The first mile was great. Everything felt fine and I wasn’t too cold. At the mile marker, my watch said 9:19. Holy cow, I’m not that fast! The second mile was pretty much the same. The course was constant little hills. Up, down, up, down, repeat about 147 times. After the turn around, the wind was in our faces. My three-mile time was around 28:30 and I could feel my legs getting tired. Only 20 more minutes!

Mile four was the killer. Jeremy said he heard a lot of people at the finish saying how hard that fourth mile was. By that time, the distance, the hills and the wind had beaten us down. I think my fourth mile pace was somewhere over 11:00. But I didn’t stop and I didn’t walk. The last mile was hard, but I could see the end in sight. More hills and an uphill finish. I didn’t have anything left to put into a finish sprint. I just kept chugging and finished at 49:31.

My goal was 50, so I’m very happy. I haven’t done many five-mile runs and only a couple over five. Between now and my 10K (end of April), I have to log many more longer runs. I didn’t feel really prepared for the distance. Could I have gone another mile and change for a 10K today? Maybe. Would it have been easy? No way. Before the 10K, I want to do at least a couple of seven-mile runs.

Cold weather running, esp with that wind is not easy. I felt like I never got a good breath. Also, my throat and windpipe feel kind of chapped. On the good side, my knees feel pretty good. I had a bit of pain in the left knee, but it’s fine now. My stomach didn’t complain at all, not even once. The feet are good too. In all, I’m tired, but OK.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing really.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Walked into the building to get warm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cold! I just couldn't get air into my lungs.

Last updated: 2006-02-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:31 | 05 miles | 09m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/191
Performance: Good
Mile 1- 9:19 (very fast for me) Mile 2- 18:40 (approx. still fast) Mile 3- around 28 (slowing down) Mile 4- around 40 (this mile was a killer)
Course: Constant hills. Up, down, up, down; never a break.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-02-27 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: JCC Snowball 5-Miler

2006-02-27 9:26 PM
in reply to: #355312

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Subject: RE: JCC Snowball 5-Miler
Nice job finishing what sounds like a cold son of a gun of a race. Averaging 10 minute miles in the hills is not easy to do.Good job,Dennis
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » JCC Snowball 5-Miler Rss Feed