Dallas Running Club
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 29m 20s
Overall Rank = 1999/2716
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got an extra hour of sleep (yeah Fall back). Left the house at 6. Met up with Shannon Puphal at 6:15 at Central Market and then to the race. Found primo parking. May have been illegal but there were tons of cars parked there and if they were to tow it would take awhile to get to our car. Literally 50 yards from the start line right on the shoulder of the road.
Event warmup:

None. Just walked from the expo area to the start and waited for the gun.
Run
  • 2h 29m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

I have always liked this race. DRC does a great job. Challenging course. The first 3 miles are pretty flat and fast, albeit very crowded. The hills start at about 3 and go till about 6. The neighborhoods around the lake are crazy hilly. It's where all the cyclist go to get their hill trainings done. Once we hit the lake, and deal with the uphill on the spillway it gets flat for the rest of the run.

Stuck with the 4:1 until mile 10 when I ran the rest of the way with one walk through an aid station at mile 11 to take a gel.

I had zero expectations with this and had figured I would finish in the 2:40's so I was most happy to come in at 2:29.
What would you do differently?:

Before I signed up for the Austin full, my goal was to PR this race and then PR WR and then Cowtown. Now that my training plan is changed to prepare for the full today was just a training day. Very happy with the execution. Glad I went with the short sleeves and skirt. It got hot out there.
Post race
Warm down:

Moment of the day...I told Steve to expect me to finish in the 2:40 range. We had a meeting spot set up in case for some reason I did not see him at the finish. Comng down the road to the finish, I did not see him. Crossed, got water and my medal and went to look if he was at the meeting spot. Nope, not there. Walked over to the road to see if maybe I missed him and I saw him there. His back was to me so I walked up behind him. He looked at his watched and I said "She should be finishing soon". The look on his face was priceless! He had not seem me cross. Shannon had a tough race as she was battling a resperatory infection.

Went to Cafe Brazil for a great breakfast and then nothing for the rest of the day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Was happy with the preformance. It really lets me know that there is so much untapped potential.

Event comments:

DRC does a great job. The neon pink shirts are great. Probably the nicests medal I have ever gotten, even nicer than my IM medal. Plenty of aid stations all well stocked with water and Powerade.

Last updated: 2011-10-26 12:00 AM
Running
02:29:20 | 13.1 miles | 11m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2716
Performance: Good
Course: Through the neighborhoods before finally getting to WRL
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-11-07 8:05 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: DRC Half Marathon

2011-11-07 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3845880

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: RE: DRC Half Marathon
Nice job!
2011-11-07 3:01 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Way to go Marcy, nice running!  So glad you were pleasantly surprised with your time, and sounds like an awesome day.  Was that a PR for you?  As for the parking, it's not illegal unless you get caught .

2011-11-08 11:17 PM

User image

Plano, Tx
Nice job Marcy! I'm jealous of your nice medal. I feel like the NYC mary medals were pretty cheap.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » DRC Half Marathon Rss Feed