United States
31F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 32m 56s
Overall Rank = 412/658
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 16/20
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:45 and had a Clif Bar with some water...
Drive over was good, got pumped with some P Diddy and some Big and Rich.
We had to park like a half mile away in a residential neighborhood but the walk over got me loose and moving...

Realized when I got to the event that I had left my GPS/timer back in the car...didn't want to run and get it...
Event warmup:

I did my normal stretch routine but it was hard to get really warm because the temp. was hovering around 30 degrees.

There was also a 5-10 walk uphill to the start. This was changed from the course maps the night before the race and few people were aware of it.

I decided to keep my long sleeves on for the run and I was sure glad that I did.

The race was scheduled for a 7:30a start but due to some severe disorganization with the start location we did not get off until after 7:40a
Run
  • 32m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran like crap but I was glad to get back to running in races rather than just by myself.
Shins started hurting really badly at about 2 1/2 miles and I walked quite a bit but was able to keep walking time short.
By summer I will be back to 25 min or so...
What would you do differently?:

Run more beforehand...I need to train more consistently...
Post race
Event comments:

Timing was a mess...there was the false start and apparently when the first runner came in to the finish the clock read 9 min then jumped to 18 min...my time at the finish was 39min which I knew was wrong and ended up dropping to 32:56 when the final times were posted.

Lack of volunteers really hurt the half marathon...a fellow who was in the lead missed the final turn to the school. He kept running straight and ended up losing like 2 min. There was only a sign and no volunteers directing the way.

The post race was awesome as there was TONS of every type of food imaginable...all for free for anyone!!!!
Yoo bad I had to go to school and could not stay the whole time...

Last updated: 2006-03-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:56 | 03.1 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/658
Performance: Bad
Course: The start was a total mess. There was a falst start. We were using chips and there are only 4 mats in a 12x6 rectangle that nearly 700 people were supposed to touch...total cluster F*%#. First 1/2 mile was a severe downhill on a residential street that most people either sprinted down or walked so slowly that the runners were bumping into them...I was jogging and accidentally took out some 8th grade girl. There were 2 cars in the middle of the street that were stuck for a while in a mass of humanity. Once we got onto the main part of the course things got better. It was flat and the last mile was a slight downhill before a 1/4 mile climb back to the HS and a finish on the track... Minimal volunteers on the course, runners had to rely on signs that were well posted but when you are in the zone...easy to miss...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-03-06 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Ventura, California
Subject: The Great Race of Agoura

2006-03-07 9:01 PM
in reply to: #362372

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Subject: RE: The Great Race of Agoura
Hey, Nice job completing the race, even if the start was a mess. So when is the next one?Dennis
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Great Race of Agoura Rss Feed