The Run Inn
28C / 82F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 20s
Overall Rank = 101/216
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/19
Pre-race routine:

When I loaded up my bike on the Saturday before the race, I noticed another piece of glass sticking out of my tire. This now makes 3 pieces in the last 2 weeks OMG!!!, this glass is driving me insane. Luckily I was able to remove it without puncturing the tire but I bought a new tube just in case I woke on Sunday morning to find it flat.
Event warmup:

I caught up with a couple of buddies as I was checking in my bike and then we all headed off to the start line. When we saw how fast the current was flowing in the passage we all knew we were going to have good swim times today. I ventured out to warm up and almost got swept away it was sooooo strong.
Swim
  • 08m 43s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

As I was waiting for my wave to start I could see the marker buoy slowing being pulled along by the current. This was going to be a very fast swim time even if I just acted like a log and floated all the way down the course.

The swim was very fast and apart from tangling with the chain anchoring the buoy to the bottom of the passage (I think I swim a bit too close to it) it was a pretty uneventful swim.
What would you do differently?:

Looking at the time, it's obvious I went faster then my last race but because the current was so strong I'll never know if I have improved through my own effort. I wish I could swim this fast all the time.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 went well and I managed to grab my helmet, glasses and bike and got out fairly quickly.

All good.
Bike
  • 37m 30s
  • 20 kms
  • 32.00 km/hr
Comments:

I really tried as hard as I could today. My bike computer is only showing the current speed (new one is being fitted Tuesday) so I just wanted to stay above 33km as much as I could for the full 20k's. I had a couple of guys pass me and then I managed to pass a couple back towards the end which was a nice feeling, I think my cycling is starting to improve. I had a GU after the second lap, hoping to have heaps of energy for the run.

My age group rank was 13 and my overall rank was 109 (this information does want to save in my report details for some unknown reason).

This time is faster then my last race so I'm getting better. I need to keep doing my long rides in training as they are showing dividends in my races.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 went well and I was able to get in and out without any dramas.

Nothing
Run
  • 22m 7s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 25s  min/km
Comments:

I felt good as I started the run and managed to pass quite a few people. I kept on telling myself to relax, stay comfortable and run fast which seemed to work as this is the fastest I have every run. There was only one bad part of the run, which was when I got passed by this guy from my age group who literally shot passed me like I was standing still. I found out later he came second in the run leg for my age group and clocked 20:24, boy that is fast!!!.

I think the GU I had early on in the bike leg helped kept my energy up for the run which meant I was able to sustain a great fast pace for the full 5kms.
Post race
Warm down:

Caught up with my buddies and we discussed the race in detail. My buddies are new to Tri's so there were many funny stories of going the wrong way in T1 and using the wrong exit and entry points with the bike, all good experience for the next race. I think they really enjoyed the race and I think I have them hooked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My bike is still my weakest leg but it's still on the improve so I just need to stick at it.

Event comments:

As another great race bites the dust, I'm over the moon with my performance. I have managed to show good improvements in my bike and run times and I know my swimming has improved but with the current so strong it's impossible to judge my true swim time.

Unfortunately there is only one race to go this season so I'm really looking forward to see how fast I can go in another 7 weeks at the BRW Tri at the Gold Coast.

I love racing and I love Tri's!!!!!

Last updated: 2006-03-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:43 | 750 meters | 01m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/19
Overall: 127/216
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: A 750m swim in a very strong tidal passage.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 25C / 77F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:30 | 20 kms | 32.00 km/hr
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/216
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 3 laps of a flat course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:07 | 05 kms | 04m 25s  min/km
Age Group: 7/19
Overall: 88/216
Course: A 5km flat loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-03-14 12:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Bribie Island - race 4

2006-03-14 3:24 PM
in reply to: #368856

User image

NSW - Australia
Subject: RE: Bribie Island - race 4

Sounds like you had a great day for racing. Everything seemed to fall into place nicely.

Oh and by the way ---- very very impressive run split.

2006-03-14 7:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Paul, that's an unreal time. All your legs are fast!!!
Must be incredibly satisfying to see huge improvements overall.
Congratulations for finishing top 10 in your AG too!

Bring on BRW, you are going to blitz that race!
2006-03-15 12:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Hey Copy cat, coming 10th in your age group just like me   Awesome race!  like Casie said great times in all your legs!  you gotta love a swim with the current!  and I wish I could keep that pace running!

And I swear you really must be copying me with all the punctures and glass just don't aim for 4 punctures in 3 and a bit weeks, its not worth it really

2006-03-15 8:45 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Awesome race.  Came pretty close to breaking that hour mark.
2006-03-15 5:31 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Go Paul Go!!!! Wow look at the time that is amazing! Looks like all that hard work makes all the difference - Congratulations!

Cat

2006-03-15 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

Thanks guys for all your comments, your all very kind!!!!

It's all great motivational material.

Paul

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bribie Island - race 4 Rss Feed