Ute Mountaineer
30F / -1C
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Pre race get up at 5:00 OOPS the clock was wrong so it was actually 4AM and this sucked to go back to bed for an hour after getting the kids up an hour early!!! BIG mistake. So I at a couple of unhealthy breakfast bars and got into the car - running LATE at this point!
Event warmup:

Running in to pick up my race #, get my snowshoes on and decided to ditch the boots in favor of the sneakers.. GOOD move, but I was actually late to the start. I was strapping on my shoes as the gun went off!! I started about a minute late!
Run
  • 1h 20m
  • 2.5 miles
  • 32m  min/mile
Comments:

I'd never done anything like this before and I started DEAD LAST because I was late, but I quickly got into the pack and then to the middle of the pack. I just kept looking up to people I wanted to catch. The course kinda broke into thirds. The first 1/3 had sections of steeps and flats and it took me a bit to get adjusted to the pitch and the snowshoeing technique with poles, etc. The middle 1/3 was STEEP with NO breaks and I was getting a bit cranky/ tired, trying to find my second wind. I found it when an older man started chatting with me and we were almost at a small crest.
I thought we were about 1/2 way up, but he said, oh no 2/3 up and it gets flatter after this bend - with lots of breaks between steeps. I pretty much felt my 2nd wind kick in and TOOK OFF from that point. I was truly struggling until then. My achilles and calves were pumped and my hammies starting to feel it too. Once I got around that turn I passed about 10 more people and finished about 8 minutes in front of that nice older gentleman. THANKS to HIM!!!!!
What would you do differently?:

A lot of people had these little lifts on thier shoes so that you could use your entire foot, while seeming flatter - I want those for next time! Maybe lighter, more appropriate poles as well.
Post race
Warm down:

I actually recovered much quicker than I thought for the effort I was putting in on that middle section. I grabbed a drink, bananna and enjoyed the gondola ride down the mountain!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not familiar with the conditions, course, or pacing for this type of event.

Event comments:

It was snowing a lot by the time I got to the top. This was a humbling race, but it was also awesone! I actually got a complete runner's high and I only actually ran the last 100 meters or so. It was fun, beautiful and VERY challenging!

Last updated: 2006-03-18 12:00 AM
Running
01:20:00 | 02.5 miles | 32m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: 3400' of elevation!! The middle third of this was very steep and I was actually getting a little worried about the intensity...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-03-18 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: America's Uphill

2006-03-18 5:36 PM
in reply to: #373039

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: America's Uphill
Looks like fun!  I have never heard of it before.  Nice race.  I want to do a snowshoe race sometime.  What a great day for it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » America's Uphill Rss Feed