Stadium Tri club
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25 - 29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well my day started off badly. (which maybe I should have paid more attention too) We were staying in a Chalet in Karri Valley with 9 people and one bathroom. 8 of those people were competing all night long everyone was continuously going to the bathroom so it was not a great sleep.

It was also an afternoon race starting at 2pm which I don't think i like very much. I had a whole day to panic and stress. I have realised every time I do a longer race I get nervous. Tried to calm my nerves but not very successfully. i'm also an on time person so registration and transition opened at 11am and I wanted to be there at 11. everyone else was joking with me saying nah lets wait till later etc. I eventually packed up my gear and headed down on my own. Checked my bike in and left my bag there for when I went down for the briefing.
Event warmup:

We went on a great walk around the Lake in the morning a really good leg warm up. Also had a paddle in the lake to warm up.
Headed down to the briefing late (I was stressing again) And stupid head forgot her bottles. So I had no water at all and had to borrow bottles from my friends which didn't have powerade or anything in them. Then as we were heading down to the swim start I realised I left my swim cap at my bike. So had to run (1km) back to my bike to get it. By this stage my heart rate was racing and I was really stressing out.
Swim
  • 16m 50s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

I jumped in the water early and cooled down and did a warm up. In the meantime trying my best to calm down and relax. The water helped and I was calm right up to the race start. It was a mass start in shallow water. (all the tris I've done have been deep water starts) So it was a bit different for me this time. As soon as the gun went off it was like a washing machine. I was right next to my swim coach so I thought I would try and stick on his heels and hopefully stay out of trouble that way. My theory worked really well and I managed to make it to the first buoy without too much trouble. Rounded the first buoy and got kicked and hit a few times, nothing too bad and then once past that buoy settled down and got into a great pace and had a great swim. I was finding it hard to draft off anyone as I was passing them. I really enjoyed the swim and jumped out of the swim to run up to Transition area (a long long way from the swim) Checked my watch and was well pleased to see it was 16mins 50secs for 1k. I was even more happy when halfway through the run to transition my coach ran passed me. I beat him out of the swim. Woohoo!! I had a great story for the after party!~
What would you do differently?:

Not much. My trisut was brand new and a little snug on the swim. I need a wetsuit. although I was passing lots of people with wetsuits.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Had a good transition, didn't put socks on just helmet shoes glasses grabbed bike and ran out of transition onto the road. Which is where it all went pear shaped.

Lots! read the following
Bike
  • 00m
  • 30 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

I headed out of transition mounted my bike and immediately knew something was up. rode all of 300ms on my flat bike tyre! Panic immediately set back in again. I jumped off and made a decision to just try and pump that tyre up and see how I went. So tried with all my might to pump up the tyre but could not get my pump to work. Dad flew by on his bike and stopped and dropped his pump off. He was going to help but I told him to get racing. I tried pumping with his pump and wasn't getting any air in. So then decided to change the tube (which I prolly should have done first)

changed the tube in minutes (all the damn flat changing practice I have had paid off) the only problem was I just could not get the pump to pump! Meanwhile another poor guy (my new best friend) also had a flat in transition and stopped right next to me. he unfortunately did not have a spare tube so I gave him my old one in exchange for some tips and his pump. I pumped my tyre up as best as I could. He did the same we both rode off a couple of metres and they were flat again. We messed around for about 20mins before almost in tears we decided it was hopeless and we would have to pull out of the race. I can not even now begin to explain how I was feeling. We headed back to transition with our heads down and I then began convincing my new friend that we should do the run anyway.

Oh I can't even begin to write everything that I would do differently. As soon as the shops open tomorrow I'm buying a new tyre, new tubes a new pump for my ibke and some gas cylinders. But the mental aspect needs lots of work too.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Racked my bike changed my shoes and dejectedly walked over to the organisers (being that my club organised it everyone knew me and it was just soo hard) Handed over my timing band and explained we were going to do the run anyway.

Do the ride!
Run
  • 44m
  • 8 kms
  • 05m 30s  min/km
Comments:

Headed off rather dejectedly with my new friend to do the run. I knew he was a faster runner then me, but he very kindly stuck with me for the whole run (jog for him) He was now treating it as a training run. Which I was trying to do but it was a faster run for me then normal. the further we got into the run the better I felt running not about the race. It was quite cool though we were in front of the lead guys and all the people on aid stations were looking at us going umm how did you guys get into first place hahah! We also got to watch the lead guys working for the first position and places.
I'm actually quite happy with my run time.
when we reached the finish line the commentator gave us a huge cheer and made the crowd clap etc. (it was the first time Team turtle (the girls I'm training for half with) were unveiled in our new Trisuits so everyone knew who we were which was even more embarassing) He made all the crowd clap and aware that we had punctures and just did the run. All I wanted to do was just go sit some where by myself and be grumpy not have all the attention on me.

Ride my bike first.
Post race
Warm down:

When we reached the finish everyone wanted to hear the story etc. Which made it hard as I was in no mood for talking really. I calmed down a bit and cheered all my friends in. It was great to see the winners come in and all my friends. I even got to cheer my dad in! (I was very disappointed not to have raced with Dad as we were wondering who would beat who) We jumped back in the lake afterwards and have a cool down swim.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A bike!

Event comments:

Ok so that is a very negative race report. and I'm sorry about that. I now want to tell you all about how great the course is. I honestly can say I don't think you could find a more scenic course to do a tri on. it is in a lake surrounded by Karri Trees, the ride is an undulating ride through big hills surrounded by Karri Trees and the run actually is on trails around the lake through the Karri trees again. its magical! Absolutely beautiful Kangaroos were in transition area in the evening.

I'm a bit calmer and more relaxed about it all now. If I do an afternoon race again I need to just do my own thing not let my friends influence what I do. Organise everything the way I normally would. Perhaps spend the morning reading a book or something quiet by myself.
I need to figure out why my tyre wwent flat. (I'm thinking it perhaps burst in the sun although I have a feeling it was a valve problem) I need to work out my pump situation and why I couldln't use it. The thing that upset me the most is that when I explained it all to dad he went over and checked my bike and the pump and pumped the tyre up within a few minutes. (you could have seen steam coming out of my ears at that point)

The other highlight of this race is the after party. Team Turtle were the trophy girls and got to kiss all the boys who one prizes haha! It was a fantastic night a few drinks and lots and lots of dancing and a few sore heades the next day. I danced all the disappointment away and when they were giving the spot prizes away they called me up after explaining the story and gave me the top spot prize. I am still embarassed about this as I don't believe I deserve it. I tried to give it back to them but they all insisted. I won a wind trainer play station game thing. when I figure out how it works I'll explain it more not too sure what it does etc yet.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-03-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:50 | 1000 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Two laps of a triangle course
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 22C / 72F Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 30 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Two laps of a very very hilly course
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:00 | 08 kms | 05m 30s  min/km
Performance: Good
Course: 2 laps BEAUTIFUL course through the Karri trees in the shade by the lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-03-19 3:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Karri Valley Tri

2006-03-19 8:45 AM
in reply to: #373319

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Karri Valley Tri

Hey Mel,

Sorry about how things turned out.  Hopefully, you'll be able to look back on it as a learning experience.  That was a great swim and you reinforced your position as a swim goddess.   Also, that's a good run time and shows you can run that distance after a swim.   I'm sure the next race will go much better.

Culture question - What's a Karri tree?

Ernie

2006-03-19 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Bummer on the tyre problem but thank you for an entertaining report. You are to be commended on the quick change of the tire and for going back and finishing the run.

I also have a cultural question. In your T1 you make a comment about it all going pear shaped? What does that mean?
2006-03-19 3:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Oh Mel,

I feel for you.
You must be commended for having a go at changing the tire. A lot of people would have given up there. Good on you for getting out on the run course too and having a crack at the final leg. This is a huge learning experience that will only make you stronger.

Good on you! I think you deserved the spot prize.

Edited by Casie 2006-03-19 3:29 PM
2006-03-19 6:22 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Aaw Mel! That was so awesome you made a friend nad you still did the run so you know it all went ok! Just think in spite of everything you raced all the sections you could...

BIG HUG from me - I hope you realise how amazing you are for sticking out nad doing the run in spite of everything! Yay!

Do you have piccies of Team Turtle? Im going hunting in your album now!

2006-03-19 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Aw thanks guys for all your encouragement! 

I'm still feeling crappy about the race but I'm sure I'll get over it soon.  I have definitely earned the Puncture Turtle nickname.

Karri Trees are big tall beautiful trees Ernie,  I'll find a pic and post it for you.  I'm not sure but I think they are only found in the south of Aust but I could be making that up.

and the saying it all went pear shaped must be an aussie thing too.  Not sure of where it came from but it means it all went wrong.  or it all went belly up.

there were quite a few photos taken of Team Turtle and our new tri suits so as soon as someone emails them too me I'll post them up

thanks again guys for being so encouraging.

2006-03-19 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Ernie here are some Karri pics.  I haven't got my own yet so have found some web sites with it on.  Karri Valley is actually in the Beedelup National Park.

http://www.naturebase.net/national_parks/previous_parks_month/brockman_beedelup_warren.html

http://www.stadiumtriclub.com/kvt/index.html  This is the website of the actual tri,  it has a few pics from the years before if you search through the site.

http://www.pinnacletours.com.au/Gallery/Top15Caption/TreeTopCapt.htm  And this last site is a pic of the bicentennial tree that I climbed too.

2006-03-20 6:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

Take the wheel and throw it away, in fact throw the whole bloddy bike into the lake!!!! well that's what I would have done......... no no, keep your bike.

This tire puncture thing is just testing us. You did well to hold it together and get on with the race and finish the run. I think I need to take a leaf out of your book.

PS do you thing there's a chance of getting a flat playing the playstation game thing???

2006-03-20 7:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

I did come very close to throwing the wheel in the lake.

Hahah with my tyre puncture karma I wouldn't be surprised if I did get a puncture with the bike on a windtrainer playing the playstation.

2006-03-21 12:00 PM

User image

Vancouver,BC

Kinda like golf isn't it...frustrating as hell, and yet we still keep coming back for more.

So you take out your agro on someone or something, wise up for the HIM, and bring it! I always ride better when I'm pissed off anyhow... Keeps the nerves from popping up.

You showed up, you did the best you could with the situation, you learned something for your next race and you still had some fun. I'd say you finished ahead of the game there lovey!

Good luck with the next one, you'll do great!

Cheers

Scotty

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Karri Valley Tri Rss Feed