United States
Ironman North America
65F / 18C
Total Time = 7h 41m 14s
Overall Rank = 1845/2032
Age Group = W40-44
Age Group Rank = 56/63
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3 am to get ready and get to Gina's (training partner and fellow insane person) by 3:45. Immediately lost my contact upon trying to put them in and had to hysterically call my husband to help me find it. Made coffee for Gina and I and hit the road, excited to see dry pavement. We got to the harbor by a little after 4am, scoring a parking spot in Free Parking (a benefit of being early and hometowner) and we sat and had some quiet time thinking of all the people who have worked so hard and gave so much for us to be here. Had some prayer time and we were off.
Event warmup:

Set up our transition area, got body marked and had the oatmeal Gina had brought for us in thermoses! She's so awesome! I had bagged all my bike and run stuff into separate trash bags in case it rained while I was out (and a good thing I did to.) Several times while we waited, rain hit on and off. After shoving myself into my wetsuit and making it to the staging area for the swim, it continued to rain. I was so glad that we were informed on Friday that if the water temp was below 62 degrees we could wear booties, but I felt bad for those who did have a chance to pick some up before the race. After a while, my feet were two solid blocks of ice anyway too. Then all of a sudden it was our time to start.
Swim
  • 45m 42s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 13m 25s
Comments:

Took plenty of time in transition. My goal was to finish, not time, so I wanted to be comfortable on the ride. It started to sprinkle again when in T!. Rolled on arm warmers, leg warmers, socks, shoes, long sleeve jersey, rain jacket, gloves (I might as well been skiing for all the clothing, but I didn't shiver on the bike!) anyway you get the picture. I had to help a gal next to me zip up her jacket as her fingers didn't work. And I heard later that volunteers helped some of the later waves dress as people couldnt function after the swim.
Bike
  • 3h 50m 45s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.56 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 08m 43s
Comments:

Again, took my time in transition. This time I was shedding clothes as it was sunny and bright.
Run
  • 2h 42m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is my toughest event and I couldn't believe as I was going out of transition that I still had 2.5 - 3 hours ahead of me. I made it through the sand and to the first aid station where I found my husband, child #3, my mom and friends from my running club. It was so great. After having been "alone" for 5+ hours, it was wonderful to see everyone, I didn't want to leave, but they made me. Made it to the turn around and headed back looking for Gina (she started 3 waves after me) I found here half way back. She looked great (running is here thing). Came through aid station #1 again and felt like a rock star! All the cheering and clapping, one could get used to this. At the last turn around (4th leg) I started feeling yucky and really slowed down. But with some cheering from friends made all the way. I loved the finishing shoot, it was so short! I got to break the tape all by myself (a perk of being at the end of the race!)
Post race
Warm down:

A lot of hugging and smiling! My husband was so thoughtful to bring me sweats, which was great as mine were still wet from the morning. I still can't believe it is over! It was an awesome experience, truly testing my endurance, but I was well trained and prepared for it. I'm not sure what's next, but I know my family will be glad to have home cooked dinners and laundry done again.

Last updated: 2006-03-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:42 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 47/63
Overall: 1650/2032
Performance: Average
We waded down the ramp and swam to the start. As I was so cold to begin with it wasn't so hard to get in...until I put my face in. I couldn't catch my breath, it was so cold. Then the horn blew and we were off. It took several hunderd yards to acclimate to the temp, but then I just swam. Not a lot of bumping or anything. At the turnaround, my left calf cramped from the cold, so I swam withot kicking for a bit, and it evened out. I was so glad that there were helpers to get us out because I had trouble standing up right.
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 54F / 12C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 13:25
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:50:45 | 56 miles | 14.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 56/63
Overall: 1881/2032
Performance:
Wind:
Course: I've ridden the first part of the course several times so I was familiar with it. Felt good as I kept my cadence at 90 and HR (perceived) down. Then I hit THE hill. I had the opportunity to drive that part of the course a few weeks earlier and decided that San Mateo hill was totally "doable". Oh my gosh! It was so hard, I wanted to just get down and walk like everyone else, but I refused to let a hill beat me. I kept having the arguement with myself of pride versus blowing my legs up for the rest of the race, pride won..At the top the Marines were cheering and encouraging (they were so great!) It felt so good to get up that monster. The other hills were longer, but not as steep and totall okay (except when the string from my jacket which I shed and tied around my waist got caught in my rear brake and I couldn't stand up to pedal on the 2nd hill, needless to say I put it back on after that...) I knew the that the last 10 miles were going to long and windy (and don't forget smelly as it goes past one of Pendleton's waste treatment sludge pits). As I came past the last aid station about 6 miles out I heard my name called and looked back to see my DAD! He's retire military so he could get on base to cheer me. It was just a glimpse, but it had me in tears.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:43
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:42:41 | 13.1 miles | 12m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 57/63
Overall: 1830/2032
Performance:
Course: Two laps, including a sand run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-03-19 5:14 PM

User image

Oceanside, CA
Subject: California Half Ironman

2006-03-19 5:47 PM
in reply to: #373629

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: California Half Ironman
Congrats on a great race! You had some good times and not only did you finish, you weren't last. Woohoo!

It sounded like a pretty challenging race. Thanks for the detailed race report. You made it like being there.

Way to go!
Mike
2006-03-19 6:04 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Congrats and great race!!!
2006-03-19 6:17 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA

hey wendi, great race!  We might have seen each other on that dreaded run since we had similar times.  Again, congrats!!!

2006-03-19 7:22 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
FINISHER!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » California Half Ironman Rss Feed