United States
Shamrock Sportsfest
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m
Overall Rank = 2956/5000
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 242/338
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30 and tried not to awaken Chippy and Stake. Shortened my yoga, so mostly successful. Ate bananas, cereal, cereal bar, and gatorade. I was hungry.

Left to walk down to the site around 6:20. It was COLD. My arms were numb. So were my toes.
Event warmup:

Walking the ten blocks to the start, I guess. Shivering. Lots of cool things to look at, though.
Run
  • 2h 26m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Edited to add that at the start, then played the national anthem and the whole mess of 5,000 people fell silent. Just as the final line was finishing, a pair of fighter jets cruised overhear. Very, very cool. I got goosebumps that weren't from the cold.

Started out with the pace group, and that was smart, if I do say so myself. They were funny and after a mile or two, I realized that the pace we were holding was one I was completely comfortable with. That was a big confidence booster. The fact that Shannon, Trixie, Debbie, Chippy, Cindy and Stake had all told me that I could do the distance with only the ten-mile long run under my belt was a big help, too.

It took me three or four miles to warm up--it was really cold. A lot of people were wearing gloves and fleece, etc. that they would throw on the side of the road, I guess to retrieve later. I didn't want to risk it, so I left all of my layers at the dry-storage truck. Once I did warm up, though, it felt fine.

This is what I did to pass the time:

--picked out women up ahead of me who were wearing pink and then I'd smoke 'em.

--sang Lil Kim and Motorhead and Bee Gees lyrics in my head, also Greg Brown and Melissa Etheridge (but not out loud. I have some respect for my fellow runners)

--talked to the pacers, who both could obviously be running a 1:30 half marathon. They were great. The guy, Chuck, was a HHH, and he made the 9.5 mi. pilgrimage beer check-in. I was too 'fraid, given it was my first half, but next time, I'm thinking yes. I respect the Hashers.

--played pass and be passed with this girl whose last name was Hodges. She would walk, and then when I ran slowly past, she'd run again until she was ahead of me, then walk again. This went on for three or four miles, miles 6-9, I think, then I didn't see her again. I was looking forward to goading her over the finish to make myself sprint. Oh well.

When we turned into the base, there were signs about Heartbreak Hill. I hadn't noticed anything like that on the elevation map, but there was nothing to do about it at that point, so I braced myself. THe only indication I got of a hill was when we seemed to be running on a slight decline at one point. I was glad, being from a flat place and all.

The crowds were great, very energizing. I did high five exchanges with little kids, marines, amateur radio operators, you name it.

When I got to mile eight or nine I heard someone call my name, and there was theattorney! It was great to see a familiar face. It was his first race, too, so we ran together for a while and talked. That was fun and passed the time easily.

When we got to the ten-mile mark, I realized that what was left was basically a 5k and I could do that, so I pulled ahead of the pace group. I felt really good, which I attribute to the gels and ample hydration. I was smiling on and off the entire last three miles, b/c I knew I was going to do it, and it hurt so much less than I'd anticipated. The great thing about tri training for me is that I've stopped with the knee-jerk, "oh, I could never do that" reaction to almost anything. I didn't do it much before, but I did do it sometimes. Training for and completing tris and now this half marathon make me really proud of myself. It also makes me question myself about the other things I've said I can't do. That's a great side benefit, personally and professionally.

All along the last miles, people were yelling that we were almost there, and that it wasn't much further. The marines were telling us to pick it up. I'm not generally the most obedient woman around, but I did. :)

When we turned onto the boardwalk and I could see the statute thingy and the finish line, it was a fantastic feeling. The sun was shining, the wavelets were sparkling, my quads were really tight but still moving for me. People cheered and high fived. And I tell you, coming across that line--I love that feeling. I got my medal and went to get my clothes from the storage. The volunteer at the truck was adorable so I told him I ran 13.1 one miles and gave him a huge hug. He hugged back and didn't mace me or anything, which was nice. :) Called my boyo and told him that mommy ran 13 miles and that he could have my medal with dolphins on it. He's going to bring it to show and tell on Friday :)
What would you do differently?:

Buy bigger shoes at a real running store. I noticed my big toes hurting again during this run, but it was manageable. After the race they really throbbed, though. I'm going to lose at least one big toenail. Owie, though I'm told it doesn't hurt when it's growing back.

That's it, though. Well, maybe stay over one more night. I was really sleepy on the drive home.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, stretched lightly. Ate many pretzels, a bagel, some stew, some water, an orange, and several beers. But the beers waited until after my hot shower and when the marathoners came in. Drove five hours home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Never done this distance before and I wanted to make sure I had enough left to finish. Also need better shoes. I'm happy with my performance, though.

Event comments:

I really had a ball. I'll definitely do this again next year. Hell, maybe the full marathon, never say never. And I love it that I continue to meet excellent BT people and that none of them are felon perverts, as my friends and family keep warning me. :) Perverts, perhaps and maybe felons, but not both. Hah! Seriously, though-- because of this training and these sports, I've met great people I wouldn't have otherwise, both on BT and in real life. They're a lot of fun and I learn a lot from them. I'm grateful for that. Thanks, ya'll!

Last updated: 2006-01-29 12:00 AM
Running
02:26:18 | 13.1 miles | 11m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/338
Overall: 0/5000
Performance: Good
I don't have the splits, but I kept with the 2:30 pace group until mile 10, when I realized that I had enough left to go faster. I'm now a big fan of pace groups--it really helped me not start out too fast. I was good and steady the whole race, keeping them in sight either before or behind.
Course: Beautiful! The water/gatorade stations were plentiful and fun, with costumes (my favorite was the oasis one at the end. I haven't seen that many pairs of harem pants in a LONG time. The boy scouts bearing tootsie rolls at their troop stations were cool too, though) and music, which always helped. Going through the base was enjoyable, and even though it was really windy running on the boardwalk at the end, it was great to see the ocean and we weren't on it for very long.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-03-20 6:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC
Subject: Shamrock Sportsfest 1/2 Marathon

2006-03-20 7:25 AM
in reply to: #373945

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Shamrock Sportsfest 1/2 Marathon

What a fabulous run!!! I'm so proud of you. Hope you are basking in the glory for the next two weeks!!!

See, you can do ANYTHING! Think what a great role model for Max.

2006-03-20 7:25 AM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
I'll take that time any day of the week. Great job. But train hard cause I'm gunnin' for you come Pinehurst time.
2006-03-20 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

Dude, you kicked a$s!!!!

So much fun hanging out with ya -- sorry you had to drive home so soon, but in reality we left very shortly after you did.

SO glad you had a great race! See ya at the full next year

2006-03-20 8:42 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Awesome work!  Told you it could be done with just a 10 miler under your belt.
2006-03-20 9:34 AM

User image

Buttercup

Yay Christine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job!!! Terrific! So happy for you, Girlie-O!!!

2006-03-20 1:17 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

You did it! Well done!

Now I want to run a long race with you so we can sing together.

2006-03-20 4:49 PM

Regular
Wilmington, NC
Great job Christine!  I love your race report ... although, I wonder if I would be in the "pervert" or the "felon" grouping!   It was so nice to see you later in the race because my drinking boys disappeared at mile one!!!  I had run without seeing a familiar face for over 7 miles, so it was so cool to see you and chat with you!  Also, you were in such a positive mood at that stage, and it really helped me stay positive!  Enjoy your rest and recovery days after a great run!!!  Awesome job!
2006-03-20 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran

Amazing job!  You did so freakin' well!!!  I vote for you and BodyCheck to do the mary next year.  I will run with y'all and make you laugh and sing songs and call cadence. 

It was great to see you again!  Bring your skinny *** up here for cocktails soon!!!

2006-03-20 5:44 PM
in reply to: #374413

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC
marmadaddy - 2006-03-20 2:17 PM

You did it! Well done!

Trust me when I say that if you actually HEARD me sing, you wouldn't want that. Nobody wants that. But thank you.  

2006-03-20 5:48 PM
in reply to: #374867

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
deepbluesea - 2006-03-20 6:44 PM
marmadaddy - 2006-03-20 2:17 PM

You did it! Well done!

Trust me when I say that if you actually HEARD me sing, you wouldn't want that. Nobody wants that. But thank you.

You could stay to my right. I'm pretty much deaf in that ear.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shamrock Sportsfest 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed