General Discussion Race Reports! » The Joey Winterburn 5k Cougar Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Joey Winterburn 5k Cougar Challenge - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Girard, Ohio
United States
Youngstown Road Runners Club
31F / -1C
Overcast
Total Time = 30m 39s
Overall Rank = 56/77
Age Group = F 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30am to feed chickens, cats and dogs. Ate a bagel and cream cheese and drank some orange juice around 6:30am. Waited for Sue to pick me up right on time at 7:15am.
Event warmup:

Had to drive around a little to find the park where the race start was located. We ended up on part of the race course so we got a sneak peak at where we would be running. Picked up our race packets and then sat in the car until about 10-15 minutes before the start because it was freakin' cold outside. Walked/slow jogged about 5 minutes over to the starting line.
Run
  • 30m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first 5k and first running race of any kind, ever, in my entire life. I really didn't know what to expect. My friend Sue (triathlon training partner in crime) and I had already planned to run together. This was Sue's second race ever.

We lined up at the back of the pack at the start. Pretty much everyone but a few others ran off leaving us in the dust. We just started slow at a nice comfortable pace. There was an early hill that slowed down our first mile pace some. Within just a few minutes, we started passing people. It was fun seeing people in front of us, slowly gain on them and then pass them. A few people, we would pass each other back and forth, but Sue and I always managed to pass them for good.

The second mile we picked up the pace and felt really good. At the start of the third mile was the last hill and while not a bad hill, it slowed us down some. We had to run a short, flat, out and back segment before the final turn to the finish. I was slightly ahead at that point and the next thing I know, Sue is taking off like a shot right past me. Now I had to start running as fast as I could to catch her (the little sneak, LOL!). I finished one second behind her.

After the race, we talked about all the people we had passed and noted that not one person had passed us. That's when Sue came up with the brilliant analysis that of course no one had passed us because we started out dead last at the starting line. So the key to not getting passed is to start last. Hey, I like that!!!!!!!
What would you do differently?:

I am so new at running that I don't really know. I think I could have run harder because while I was breathing hard at the end, I don't think it was an all out effort. I was so worried about starting out too strong that I probably errorred on the side of caution. That's quite alright by me though for my first race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around. Eat Oreo cookies and drink Gatorade. Wondered out loud how anyone could choose a banana over an Oreo cookie. What is wrong with you people (Sue included, LOL!)????????? Oreo cookie, banana? Oreo cookie, banana? Not even close!

Then we stood around as waiting for the awards. The sky started spitting snow and we started to freeze. We had no clue that we would get an award. Sue got second in her age group and I got second in mine. That was kind of cool even if there were only two in my age group.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just started running 10 months ago and I really have no clue what I am doing. Getting PF back in November didn't help any because I haven't been able to do as many miles as before. Also, being born a non-athlete didn't help either. Actually, I don't really care if I am faster at this point. I am just out there having fun.

Event comments:

This was a really nice race for a first race. Plus I had a great time running with Sue. We found we would alternately push each other during the race. At times she would push the pace and at other times it was me pushing the pace. Anyway, I had a TON of fun!!!!

Last updated: 2006-03-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:39 | 03.11 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 56/77
Performance: Good
These are approximate: mile 1 10:40 mile 2 9:20 mile 3.1 10:39 (guess which two miles each had a hill?)
Course: Paved roads through a small park and also on city streets. Two hills up and two down. Not too big, but enough to slow us down some.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-03-29 8:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: The Joey Winterburn 5k Cougar Challenge

2006-03-30 8:39 AM
in reply to: #383087

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Subject: RE: The Joey Winterburn 5k Cougar Challenge

Well done.

Start off slow and finish strong is the best. 2nd for your age group in your first ever race is going to be a tough one to beat.

2006-03-30 11:36 PM
in reply to: #383087

Champion
Subject: RE: The Joey Winterburn 5k Cougar Challenge

Great race Diane.  I know, you were probably nervous before it started but you got through it just fine.  The sky is the limit now, you're no longer a pure beginner.  Just keep having fun, that's the secret!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Joey Winterburn 5k Cougar Challenge Rss Feed