General Discussion Race Reports! » Triatlon Ciudad de Guatemala (Olympic) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triatlon Ciudad de Guatemala (Olympic) - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Guatemala,
Guatemala
Guatemalan Triathlon Federeation
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 51m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got to the event with plenty of time, but when I went check my bike in, the guy said that I couldn't race because I wasn't allowed to have aero bars that were open and that had shifters on them...Uh-oh. Luckily, I just kind of waited around and asked someone else and they told me that as long as the bars were touching each other on the end and they were not too far ahead of the handlebars, it was okay. So I adjusted the aerobars and I entered transition. It was a little bit unsettling, but worked out in the end.
Event warmup:

Jumped in the pool and swam about 100m. Water felt chilly and so was I.
Swim
  • 30m 25s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim did not feel very good. I NEVER got into a rhythm and I always felt that I was either going to slow or too fast. The lane we were in also had a waterpolo goal sticking out into the lane so everytime I approached the wall I had to make sure that I wasn't going to run into the steel frame that stuck out about 3 feet from the wall. Not pleasant. I am not sure why I felt so anxious in the water...just not a good day I guess.
What would you do differently?:

Lie about my swim estimated time so that they put me in the 50 m. pool that has lane markers.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Fine, I felt cold, though.

nothing
Bike
  • 1h 23m 35s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.84 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went well. Drafting is legal in these races, but I decided before the race that I would not draft anyone since I wanted to get used to riding alone. There is just way too much comfort in the pack. That was hard, because I could easily have held on to the 20MPH+ group if I had stayed in the pack.

I felt good on the ride. As usual everyone and their uncle passed me, but it is also good mental training for me. Getting used to the new aerobar setup wasn't TOO difficult. It could have been worse. At the end I was a bit disappointed as I was hoping to keep 18MPH average.

Draft if I want to go faster.
Transition 2
  • 06m
Comments:

Ridiculously slow T2.
1- I had to gop to the bathroom in the bushes because there were no port-a-potties
2- I had to put on socks AND tie my sholeaces
3- I wanted to make sure I had bodyglide and gel with me...

It was hard to see people I had been dueling with the entire bike ride get out of T2 about 3 minutes before me :(

Use quick laces
Run
  • 52m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt strong on the run for the most part. I definitely had doubts creeping in and out throughout the run, especially going up the hills. BUT, again, I persevered and worked through the demons. At least I get to pass a lot of people on the run, that always feels a bit better than the bike.I passed all the people I was dueling with on the bike.

I was a bit disappointed with my time since last Oly I did, my run was 48 minutes, but I guess this was a bit mor challenging course, and I really haven't been doing any speed work, so I should have seen it coming.

I don't know...nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit and then sat down. Watched my HRM start to work again ggrrrr.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No speed training

Last updated: 2006-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:25 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: 60 lengths of a 25m. swimming pool :( I hate that pool. At least this time they only put 4 of us in the lane instead of 6.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:35 | 24.85 miles | 17.84 mile/hr
Performance:
HR monitor did not work the entire race. It doesn't like getting wet that much, I guess.
Wind: Little
Course: A 5K loop that we had to do 8 times. About 1.5 K of it is uphill one way and down on the way back.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:59 | 06.21 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Good
No HR monitoring going on again.
Course: 4 laps of a hilly 2.5K loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-04-02 4:27 PM

User image

Subject: Triatlon Ciudad de Guatemala (Olympic)

2006-04-04 11:37 AM
in reply to: #386016

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Subject: RE: Triatlon Ciudad de Guatemala (Olympic)

Good race Ivan...  you should not be too hard on yourself..  You will notice that the more you train the longer you can go... but also you get a little slower...  It seems that you are doing all that work for nothing since everybody and their uncles pass you.... BUT....   on the LONG haul  you will do great...  

cheers

Luis

did Kate did the tri as well? 

2006-04-04 12:48 PM
in reply to: #386016

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Triatlon Ciudad de Guatemala (Olympic)
Congrats Ivan!    Good job persevering on what sounds like a tough course.  8 loops on the bike does not sound optimal.  Keep up the great training.  You are going to rock the Ironman this Summer!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triatlon Ciudad de Guatemala (Olympic) Rss Feed