sports mad
21C / 70F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 42m 27s
Overall Rank = 220/271
Age Group = 25 - 29
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Slept like a baby. Had breakfast (I always find it so hard to eat before a race my stomach gets more nervous then the rest of me!) the forecast earlier in the week had been for rain and wind so I was a little nervous earlier but the weather turned out to be perfect! cool and overcast but the sun came out by the run but wasn't too hot.
Drove down to the race.
Event warmup:

wheeled my nice shiny clean bike with new tyres and a new pump into transition. Set up my transition area and panicked about being the only person without a wettie! I really got to find myself a wetsuit. Not just for the bouyancy now it was cold today.
I did get a few tough girl looks though! did some calf stretches and hoped they would be ok for the race. Point Walter is such a nice place for a tri but its a nasty course! if someone took away all the hills it owuld be much nicer hehe!
Swim
  • 24m
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was cold, my toes went numb just waiting for the start. there were 4 waves for the OD, all two mins apart all the women were in the final wave. Had a fairly goodstart relaxed and just started swimming. Actually the first quarter of the swim was good, until I started passing the guys in the wave ahead. I got a good boot in the stomach which almost stopped me. One guy was swimming freestyle but decided to start swimming breastroke right next to me and kicked me hard in the guts. OW! Breastroke in a race should be banned. At the next buoy I got blocked in and had a terrible turn one guy knocked me in the head and knocked my goggles clear off my head. luckily I somehow managed to catch them. Rounded the buoy got to a little clear water and put them back on.
Settled back into a good stroke and got my heart rate back down. If this had happened to me last year I think I would have pulled out. I am definitely way better at relaxing and just swimming.
I didn't warm up for the swim though, wasn't uncomfy but was definitely cold the whole swim.
What would you do differently?:

Wetsuit! Find some toes to draft on. (i've never found a good draft in a race before always find myself going passed them.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition area was 500m up a big hill from the swim. So tried to jog/run up to the transition area from the swim. trying to get feeling back in my toes. I didn't want to sprint up the hill wnated to keep my heart rate manageable. My side was hurting from the kick. Had a fairly slow transition

concentrate, practice transitions, have a list/order in my head before I get to transition of what I'm going to do.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 35s
  • 40 kms
  • 29.78 km/hr
Comments:

Its a tough course, I knew as soon as I jumped on the bike that it was going to be tough, my legs just felt tired/sluggish. I pushed the flat parts as hard as I could and managed the hills, flew down the other side of the hills. It wasn't as fast as I know I can go on the bike. I was really good with my drinking and gels though. today really was a training brick session for the half so was testing out the gels they have on the course. I stuck to my plan and was conscious of how much I was drinking.

Even though its a tough hilly course its a great spot for a tri, although the roads weren't fully closed, there were marshalls on each turn around point etc but there were cars allowed through and some of them were really angry I had a few run ins with cars. and after the race heard that others did too.

At one point on the course I saw a guy had come off his bike. slowed to help realised he was ok and thought I would be more helpful riding to a marshall to get somne help to him. so let him know I was off ot find an official for him. Let someone know and they said they would radio for help straight away. I'm surprised no one else had let them know earlier as I'm sure he had been off his bike for a while before I saw him.

The end of this course was mean, you rode up to transition on the left side of the road. transition was on your right and you had to go past transition down the big hill to the swim start and straight back up that hill so transitio nwas on your left and then entered transition puffing from the hill.

I've been training for the half which is on a completely flat course so I've been doing lots of flat training, my legs were not expecting those hills. It was a training ride and if that time is right then I actually did this faster then the city of perth tri which was completely flat.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Had a good transition whacked the bike back on the rack threw off helmet and shoes at same time. almost and pulled on shoes, (I love elastic laces) and off I ran/shuffled :)

Nothing
Run
  • 56m 20s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 38s  min/km
Comments:

As soon as I started running I knew I was in a little trouble the pain in my calf/shin was pretty bad, After all the mishaps in my last race though was completely determined to finish this race even though I wasn't sure if I was going to be doing more damage to my legs. I just kept running (with dory's voice in my head just keep swimming just keep swimming) Normally the pain in my legs actually doesn't come till the end of a run so I was surprised I had it immediately, eps after physio treatment on Friday) Ran down the hill keeping a fairly good pace even though it was hurting. Got to the first turn around point hinking right thats 1/4 of the run done you can do this. After that point it actually started to ease and by the end of the run I could feel the area was tender but the pain had almost gone. which was very strange.
On the second half of the 1st lap I reached a drink station which had run out of cups! NOOOOO I was counting on that drink before the run up the big hill. I think they could see that on my face too! when I passed that drink station the third time they had some cups BUT when I passed it again on the way to the finish line they had run out again, I really wasn't happy at that stage. there were only two drink stations on the course so I really didn't get enough to drink. Finished the race fairly strongly though considering it was up a hill and I was thirsty.
I really liked this coursse though it was great running passed lots of friends and encouraging them and getting cheers back high fives etc. Team turtle tri suits are def a good idea as heaps of people recognised us from Karri Valley (even though only two of us were racing) got lots of Go Turtle girl!!

Drink more, run faster, hopefully not have calf problems.
Post race
Warm down:

I headed straight to the first aid tent for some ice, as per physio instructions. Man what a peformance that was. just to get a bag of ice, the St John'ns ambulance lady had to fill in this great big long form. Of my medical history and millions of other details. she even took my pulse! I was like umm I've just done 2 hours 40ish of exercise my puls is going to be high! I can tell you just how high becausse I've got my heart rate monitor on. she wouldn't trust the hrm and took my pulse anyway. I was there getitng ice for 15mins!! crazy.

Stuck around for the presentations and spot prizes. nope and nope! then headed hom to watch the Dockers first footy game for the year, (the less said about that game the better)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Umm my lack of speed. It wasn't the greatest time to be doing this race.

Event comments:

Ok now these are the official times posted. I didn't have the greatest race it was all just kind of average but it was just a training brick session really so I'm happy with it. In saying that Its still faster then the city of Perth tri I did, so I'm actually quite impressed.
the cars on the road and the lack of water I got on the course were a bit disappointing. I can tell you halfway through the race I really was regretting this HIM idea.

Overall for my first full OD I'm happy with it. Off to the physio to get my leg checked out. If my run time is right I'm really happy with that time considering my legs were really hurting at the start.

Last updated: 2006-03-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:00 | 1500 meters | 01m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 85/271
Performance: Average
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Two laps of a rectangle course, shallow by the sand bar in some parts
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:35 | 40 kms | 29.78 km/hr
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 204/271
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 2 laps of a HILLY course, some flat parts and some nice downhills but just the same amount of uphills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:56:20 | 10 kms | 05m 38s  min/km
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 244/271
Course: 2 laps out and back. Big hill to run up and down at the start of the lap. (big as in 2ks?)
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-04-02 8:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Point Walter Challenge Triathlon

2006-04-02 9:11 PM
in reply to: #386224

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: RE: Point Walter Challenge Triathlon

Mel, love the report, a great read.

Bummer about the water stations, that's doing it tough!!

You did a very fast overall time and super impressive swim, including that kick in the guts!!

Come May, your going to cruise through that HIM. Well done!!!

2006-04-02 11:44 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Hi Mel!!

Love reading you race reports felt like i was right there with you Good job on catching up with the wave in front on the swim and for helping out a man in need .

Hope the calf is holding up!

Cat

2006-04-03 6:59 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Mel,

Great race and report.  Congratulations on your first Oly.  They must have some fast athletes in that race.  I did about the same time for my Oly and finished in the middle of the pack.  I wish I had your swim speed and you did great on the run.  Way to hang in there even with the pain in your leg.

Ice must be a very dangerous medical device in Australia.  I think you should have just packed in Vegemite and you would have been fine. 

Ernie

2006-04-03 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Thanks for reading it all guys

yeah I was surprised at the palava you had to go through just to get a bag of ice.  hmm yep next time I'll just pack the vegemite.

Now that I think about it I dind't have vegemite for Breakie before the race perhaps thats why I felt so average all day lol!

2006-04-03 10:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Apologies for being a little slow off the mark.

Great race Mel and as the others have said, good read.
I think you were pretty harsh on yourself, if you've improved your bike time over the OD course with hills, it's only a testament to all the hard training you've been doing.

I think mentally completing a Oly race will help truckloads with the HIM.
You're gonna rock!!

2006-04-05 1:33 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama
I enjoyed your rr, sounds like a pretty tuff race. You did a great job. I havent got the guts to try an Oly yet, but maybe after reading your great job I may sign up for one towards the end of the year.
I see you want to buy a wetsuit, I can`t help you in that department as Ive never needed one here in Hawaii, but once we move I`m sure I`ll be in the same situation as you. Let me know what you find.
Excellent work, bet you are proud you made it thru in one peice.!!
I also wanted to say thankyou, from that guy who came off his bike, I wish there were more people like you to report accidents on the course!!!

Edited by Tizzy 2006-04-05 1:37 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Point Walter Challenge Triathlon Rss Feed