General Discussion Race Reports! » TriAmerica - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TriAmerica - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Clermont, Florida
United States
Sommer Sports
85?F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 57m 53s
Overall Rank = 233/327
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 30/39
Pre-race routine:

Gear was packed and laid out the night before. Unfortunately I had to drive 8+ hours the day before the race so that was not optimum. Got dressed that AM, ate yogurt and headed to car. Thought I'd be prepared so I decided to pump tires in hotel lot. Bam! Flat. Had to fix it in the dark which stressed me a bit. Forgot to continue eating and drinking from there to T0. Once we were onsite things mellowed a bit. Got chipped and headed to my spot. Set up and drank some water talking with my friends and meeting some new ones. Finally put on wetsuit which went on easily and checked my spot one last time.
Event warmup:

As transition area closed I headed to beach to get acclaimated to water. Got wet and swam about 100 yards. Water was 74 degrees and the course looked very straight forward.
Swim
  • 33m 56s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was disappointed with my swim performance. I have been practicing swim skill drills and attended a clinic this winter. Seemed to forget some of those mechanics in the water. Might be due to the wetsuit which I didn't practice in. My navigation skills weren't that great either. Goggles stayed clear but I seemed to zigzag and not be able to hold a straight enough line. I swim with alternate head turns to alleviate that but will attribute to first race of the year cobwebs. While I swam faster than last year it was not that much faster.
What would you do differently?:

Relax for the first 300-500 yds. I seem to get very anxious at the start and then after I turn the first buoy I relax. I would practice more with the wetsuit. As the weather warms some open water practice would also be valuable.
Transition 1
  • 04m 19s
Comments:

Got stuck in the wetsuit AGAIN! Left ankle with chip was the culprit. Tried getting it off with my other foot and calf started to cramp. Finally jammed my thumb down through and it came loose. Just about ripped my thumbnail off! This definitely got me stressed. Geared up for bike pretty quickly and ran to T1 bike exit. Boarded bike and headed up the hill putting gloves on while on bike.

A training/racing friend suggested applying Glide all over ankle lower leg area. I'm going to try that on the next practice with the suit. Also, my helmet gave a me just a little fit problem. I need to make sure that I try that on prior to finishing my setup.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 21s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I have spent this winter learning and training on both a spin bike and outdoors with cyclists. As I learn the proper way to ride I do think it will payoff throughout this summer and beyond. I was hoping for a little faster pace results. My knee seemed to hold me back a bit in spots. I used my aero bars more this time than prior races. Still don't like them too well. Would rather be down on the bars instead. I currently use a road bike which the geometry is great for riding in Georgia so I rarely use those aero bars.

Just continue to train and build up my LT and bike stamina. I think a continued focus on the bike will payoff double later. I need to be able to go faster with less energy. Might want to introduce a cadence monitor as well so I can focus throughout the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

When I got off the bike my back was really stiff. This surprised me since it's never happened before. I had recently completed my first century ride and didn't feel like that. The dismount line was at the bottom of a hill and came up a little quicker than expected. Once off I was at my station and got through quickly.

Aero water bottle impaired racking the bike a little. Might have to spin the bike and rack at the seat to avoid any penalties if that bike comes loose.
Run
  • 50m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my best run for an International distance. I think I had enough gas left to break :50 if I was a little more on top of my segment time. Started blistering with two miles to go. The scuttlebutt there is that there was a lot of sand and grass in transition and a lot of people were complaining about blistering. My socks were filled with sand when I finished the race.

Instead of rinsing my feet in T1 w/ a water bottle I think for FL races/beach races I would bring a small pan to rinse in. Saw a few experienced athletes with this. Otherwise, I liked my performance. I know I can squeeze out a sub :50 run at this distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to our fan base :). There were three of us racing and we had about 10 fans which made the overall experience a lot fun. My back started to really stiffen which continues to surprise me. I stretched a bit. Had three bottles of water and collected my gear. I probably should've taken a lite swim to loosen up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Prerace: Eat and drink much more!
Swim: relax and remember training
T1: Wetsuit removal
Bike: Knee pain and still need continued stamina/strength training.

Event comments:

This was a PR for me at this distance!! I enrolled with a personal coach/coaching program in my city this winter. It has been very beneficial to my performance and understanding of my body and it's limits. His direction; specifically spin classes and lots of long bricks along with cycling instruction were instrumental in this race performance. I have lots of work left to do but I'm headed in the right direction. My run was much stronger than ever due to this increase in training.

Last updated: 2006-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:56 | 1640 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/39
Overall: 282/327
Performance: Below average
Wetsuit was legal. Struggled with navigation a bit though. I wasn't happy with my swim. Seemed to forget some of the form and balance techniques that I had been practicing this winter. First race nerves? When I exited the water my HR was way up. 180! Made that long run to the back of T1 pretty rough.
Suit: Yes
Course: Counter-clockwise 'square' out and back. Easy to see and well marked/patrolled. Probably the best course I've been on in my short tri career.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:19
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:27:21 | 24.85 miles | 17.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/39
Overall: 255/327
Performance:
HR was up between 160 and 170 the whole way. My LT on the bike is approx. 145. Around 8 mile mark my knee started to act up. Started during training about two weeks ago. Either went away or went numb around Mile 17.
Wind: Some
Course: I think this course was tougher than it looked. We shared with the sprint race so it was well occupied in spots. Also took us through some good climbs with no trees or buildings around so the tops were breezy. Road was beat up in a few stretches as well. My biggest gripe was that there were no mileage markers. Relied on my computer which clocked a 26.45 distance. A bit more than race description.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:58 | 06.21 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/39
Overall: 181/327
Performance: Good
M1:8:14 @ 170, M2: 8:25 @ 170, M3: 8:16 @ 172, M4: 8:20 @ 176, M5: 9:08(?) @ 177, M6: 8:33 @ 183.
Course: Out and back on paved running/walking trail. Really nice feature of this race. Sun had just come out so this heated up the run a lot. Well watered with o.k. marking. Again sharing with sprint race. On way back the markings went quiet after the 4 mile marker. Made getting last splits a little tough.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-03 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: TriAmerica - International Distance

2006-04-03 11:22 AM
in reply to: #386658

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: TriAmerica - International Distance

Great job! I also did this race on Sunday...I had the same problem with removing the wetsuit & the timing chip.

As for the swim, it's difficult in OW racing to focus on techniques when other swimmers are clubbing you in the head!

2006-04-03 11:25 AM

User image

Queen BTich

Great job Joe! Sorry to hear you're still having problems with your wetsuit but it'll get easier.

I really enjoyed that Oly last year. It was a great race and the support was fantastic. 

Congrats!

2006-04-03 12:00 PM

User image

Elite

Great race overall and exceptional run.  Good for you.

TW

2006-04-03 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

Joe - Great race!  Nice way to PR on a hard course. 

Sad news about the knee, but just remember the intensity that you've been going at and try not to let it get too bad.

I had issues with sand in my shoes during my race down in that area earlier this year.  Also - those long runs to T1 suck, don't they? 

Amazing run time.  Nice to see that you didn't let any schemers beat you!    Good job and Congrats.

2006-04-04 10:06 AM

User image

Lake Mary, FL
Great race!

I see you too measured the bike course as longer than 40K (24.8 miles). My bike computer measured exactly 25.8 miles. I'm thinking the course was long.

2006-04-05 6:52 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Congrats on the PR. Tri season is upon us.
2006-04-05 7:55 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
I think you are being a little hard on yourself in the RR; you logged some great splits ... especially the run (8:13/mi pace is smoking after the intensity of the bike + swim legs).
2006-04-05 11:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great race! You must've run by me right at the end because we finished within a minute of each other!
2006-04-06 12:32 AM

User image

Expert
Congrats on your PR
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriAmerica - International Distance Rss Feed