General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool swim tri question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-06 7:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: Pool swim tri question

Here is a question for all you experienced triathletes.  I was thinking about signing up for a tri in May that starts with a 400 yard pool swim.  I think there are something like 11 lanes available for swimming.  So 22 swimmers will start, swimming in split lanes.  Swimmers stay in their own half of the lane and there will be lap counters.  There are going to be wave starts every 15 minutes.  Participants are suppose to give a predicted swim time when they register and waves will be based on that predicted swim time.

So my question is ....  Why would the race director care about how fast someone swims when there will be no conflict in the pool?  I have several theories, but really I am clueless.  Here are my theories:

1.  Start the faster swimmers in the earlier waves because they are going to be the most competitive and they won't have to worry about getting around slower racers in the bike and run portion.

2. Start the slower swimmers first so that everyone finishes closer together and you don't have to wait all day for the slower people to finish and get to the awards ceremony.

3. Each waves starts with a mix of faster and slower swimmers so that T1 is not very congested.

I'm sure there are other scenarios.  But could someone explain what the real reason would be for wave starts based on predicted swim times in a split lane type swim?

Thanks!  Diane

2006-04-06 7:55 AM
in reply to: #389648

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: Pool swim tri question
no idea but my super sprint has a 200m swim and they wanted to know my 750 time! lol!
2006-04-06 7:58 AM

User image

Regular
Rhode Island
Write to the race director and ask. They're usually pretty good about answering questions.
2006-04-06 8:44 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Some of it could be habit. When seeding waves, they'll probably ask for estimated times, and they get used to asking whether they really need the time or not.

If I were race director...I'd try to pair up similarly timed swimmers in the lane. I'd start with the most competitive people. I'd probably put the slowest swimmers in the water next-to-last (no one after them in that lane, but some faster swimmers may start later in different lanes) to clear the pool earlier than putting slowest swimmers in last.

All of your reasons are valid reasons for where to start people. Only your RD knows for sure, and like others have said, ask.
2006-04-06 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Maine
Strange that they say that they will start waves every 15 minutes for a 400 yard swim - that will REALLY spread everyone out on the bike and run courses, but will also take forever to finish. My first sprint tri had the same format, but they would start the next wave as soon as the last swimmer from the previous wave was done. The first waves only took 5-6 minutes (525 yard swim), so they could keep things moving right along. So in that situation they really wanted to know the swim times, because they did not want to keep the next wave waiting for somebody who was way slower than everyone else in the wave.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool swim tri question Rss Feed