Outspokin
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m
Overall Rank = 207/839
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/67
Pre-race routine:

I went to bed as soon as I could but it seemed like I always had one more thing to do. I rolled into bed around 10:30pm. The plan was to be in bed by 9:30pm. I got a good night sleep otherwise. Woke up at 4:45am and hit snooze once. After that I was up and ready to go. Mark and I had picked up our race packet the day before so the night before we put the bike numbers on the bike, numbers on race belt and packed our bags from a checklist we made. I had half a cliff bar, a scoop of peanut butter, glass of water and some Red Bull. An hour before the race I had a gel pack.
Event warmup:

We showed up and all we had to do was get numbered and then rack the bike. I laid out my stuff and that was it. I decided right then and there to ditch my Nike Air Shox and go with me Nike ID Frees. This was because I wasn’t used to the Yankz yet and 1.25 miles of the run was on the beach and hard packed trail. The Frees are AWESOME for hard packed sand or gravel.. Moonpie was near the exit of the TA and I was just past halfway. There was an American Flag right on my aisle. Great visual reference.
Swim
  • 18m 46s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

I normally do a small ride on the bike to warm up but decided to warm up on the beach with some in place running, jumping jacks, etc… Worked pretty good. Moonpie and I headed north the 880 yards up the beach to start. It was a simple, swim out to buoy, turn left, swim to last buoy, turn left. His was the 2nd wave to start (blue caps). My wave was 3rd (pink caps--hey, I don’t wanna hear it!) Moonpie goes jammin right out front! My swimming hasn’t been the best lately so I figure I’ll hold out in the back of the pack just to the right so as not to get run over and jammed up at the buoy. How was I to know this would turn out to be a mistake. Before I knew it I’m passing people left and right. I swim up onto my first road block of pink caps. It’s wall of like 6-7 across. I finally squeeze in and through. Then I catch up to another road block of pink caps and a few blue caps. My swim time would have been rockin! had I started right out in front.
Average HR 143.

What would you do differently?:

Start out front!
Transition 1
  • 03m 58s
Comments:

I come out of the water and turn on the rpm’s of the feet. Not trucking, fast but just to get my feet moving. Little quick steps. I find it helps me keep my HR down but moves me along quickly enough to get to the TA. It also helps when on a sandy beach to TA run. I grabbed a water on the way, took a few sips but didn’t gulp it down. I made it from the gulf and across the .4 mile beach run and through TA in 00:03:58. Not great but that run was long and my HR was up to 160.
Bike
  • 26m 13s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.89 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out of the bike and rev’d her up to 22mph. At 1 mile I saw some poor guy with a flat. Total bummer and wished that didn’t happen to me. I have a tube and co2 but on a sprint I might be inclined to just call it a day. I gotta hand it to him. He was out there changing it. I held onto 22mph for about 5 miles and even hit a max of 25.4 for bit. I stayed in the big ring for the entire ride. In the last half of the bike, my speed fluctuated from 18-22mph. I finished half a water bottle on the bike. The course was basically an out and back on the island. Small road and very hard not to get up on someone. Drafting was going on all over the place. I was constantly playing “fair” and not in with them. There were a few guys on motorcycles pacing and watching like hawks for drafting. I think this was totally unfair under the conditions. Small 10 mile course and a 1000 bikes. I mean come on! I saw Moonpie pass me going the other way at about the halfway point. My average speed 21.8. Avg HR - 172. Avg cadence - 94.
What would you do differently?:

Pedal Faster
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

I had a nice t2. 00:01:16. Nothing to say there. For me it was textbook. --Rack bike, helmet off, race cap on, shoes off, shoes on, run with race belt.
Run
  • 29m 42s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the run feeling like everyone else, noodle legs. You all feel that right!? I find that keeping quick foot falls and “scooting” along for a bit, I can get into my running legs pretty quickly. I made it to mile 1 and a water table where I used my only gel pack. After the run up the stairs at Fort Desoto. See URL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO_q8Cq19Es

I grabbed my last drink of water. I sip water over a good distance. I used to gulp it down but I seem to choke. So I just hold onto that cup and take it with me for like 50 yards and sip, not worrying how much is splashing out. 20 minutes into the run I really started to get my running legs. I started to pass people the last ½ mile and I felt great! This was going well and I knew it. The last 2 tenths of a mile I pushed it from 8mph to 12mph!! I made it under 01:20:00 by 3 seconds! I was giving myself 01:30:00 for the race. Avg running pace - 00:08:36. Avg HR - 166.
Post race

Last updated: 2006-04-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:46 | 880 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 33/67
Overall: 0/839
Performance:
Suit: trisuit - zoot one piece
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:26:13 | 10 miles | 22.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/67
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence: 94
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:42 | 03.5 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/67
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-04-16 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Back of the pack breathing hard
Subject: Escape From Fort Desoto

2006-04-16 1:17 PM
in reply to: #397593

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: Escape From Fort Desoto
Wow, some awesome times there - great job!
2006-04-16 3:36 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Escape From Fort Desoto
GReat race   You were super fast!!!
2006-04-18 4:59 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY