Super Sprint
16C / 61F
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 04m 58s
Overall Rank = 824/898
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 42/45
Pre-race routine:

I didn't sleep as well as I would have liked. I saw 11.30pm, 1.00am, 3.00am and every hour from there! I didn't need an alarm.

Christine & I ate breakfast (juice, jam sandwich & banana) loaded the van and Rich kindly drove us to the waterfront and parked the van for us. Bonus!
Event warmup:

Warm up? Warm up? How does one warm up when the water is 14C?? It was freezing, but an evil necessity to get into the water before the wave start. The coldness took my breath away as well as any feeling in my toes.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1500 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

What can I say? Underprepared probably sums up my swim best. I felt fine in the water, I had my breathing settled I was spot on with navigation I just had no speed whatsoever. I drafted at every opportunity, but there weren't that many. I was kind of out in the ocean wilderness for a lot of the swim (as per usual) while I managed to catch quite a few girls from the wave in front, a lot of guys from all three waves behind caught me and I just couldn't keep up with the pace of the girls in my age group.
What would you do differently?:

Swimming twice in the lead up week to the race and not much or consistently beforehand, really doesn't cut it.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Numbness in my feet definitely made this transition harder than usual. I got to my bike ok, but as I was taking off my wetsuit, the girl next to me fumbled taking her bike off the rack, giving it a decent shake, sending my helmet and glasses flying off my tri bars. So I had to run around my bike to get them. It was a long run to the mount line and when ones feet feel like planks its not a good thing. Its hard to run fast with no feeling. Its also hard to get your feet in which was imperetive as there are hills almost straight away.

I usually rack my bike handlebars first. I think I will seriously consider mounting it by the seatpost to see if this aids in stability of the helmet between the tri bars.

There's little I can do about numb feet and I'm sure the majority were in the same boat.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 40 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

I got my left foot into my shoe easily, the right was a little tricky I just couldn't even feel if it was going in at all. As a result I rode up the first hill with it partially in. Not ideal. At the first opportunity I corrected it and all was good.

Long and lonely was probably the best way to describe the course. For the most past the road was rough making it difficult to go really fast and also noisy, I wouldn't have been surprised if stuff started falling off my bike! It was a little hilly in some parts, but nothing that killed my legs. I managed to pick off a few girls, but was passed by many a bloke. I tried to stay aero as much as possible but the condiditon of the road in some parts made it difficult. The aim was to just keep spinning.

It wasn't as cold on the bike as it could have been. Still it made it hard to drink all my Gatorade. I did manage to get my Gu down very easily, for which I was happy.

Bike more, find some more hills. Force myself into aero position.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 10 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

I think I was a little conservative on the first lap. I just wasn't sure what kinds of hills were going to come and bite me and what I'd have left in the tank. At 3km I had some pins and needles in my feet and by 5km I had full feeling (at which point my boy yells out "only 5km to go" - it made me laugh). As per usual, my running was my limiting factor, girls I'd passed convincingly on the bike passed me. I lost it for a bit when I saw guys making fun of the girl running in front of me and then did the same to me. I was furious that they had the audacity to take the piss out of something I can safely say they have never done. I know violence solves nothing, but I really wanted to hit the guy. My breathing went haywire. I managed to calm down and pick it up at 8km and even managed a sprint down to the finish line.

What can I say, I really don't have that abailty to run fast as everybody who competes in triathlon appears to have. I guess also I wasn't too sure how I was going to hold up, how hard I could push and how much was left in the tank. My HR was ~173 for the entire run, which is pretty high for me. I'm not sure I could have done anything differently, perhaps stayed positive the entire way, but external factors added to the issue.

Knowing the course or running/walking the course the day before could have helped.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down involved putting clothes on. I headed straight for Gatorade and downed two cups. My boy found me and we laughed at my slowness. Still he said he was proud, for which I am happy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inconsistent training, lack of swim training. Missing the gene for speed.
T-A-L-E-N-T.

Unknown entity in terms of distance making it difficult to know how hard to push - more bricks could have helped. It'll be interesting to see how I go in my next Oly distance race - whenever that may be!

Event comments:

The Elites raced after the Age Groupers. It would have been amazing to watch, sadly Christine and I were exhausted and shelter, shower and food seemed like the better option. After dissecting each others race we ate & slept most of the afternoon away.

Comments to come out of the race included; our wave was about 3 minutes behind the expected time for our/the swim.

People were pulled out of the swim with hypothermia.

The bike course was tough, in that it was a long way out & lonely. Two 20km laps would have been preferable. There were very few motorbikes out checking for drafting.

All in all if this race is on next Easter I'd almost certainly not do it again. Its a big ask of our partners to give up a four day weekend in the name of triathlon, but I can't thank them enough for their support. I did enjoy the Olympic distance and when starting out never saw this distance as anything more than a race that Olympians do!

Sadly issues with timing bands see no times for each event or transition. This is frustrating. I looked at my watch just as I was getting out of the water and I saw 35 min, roughly I recall seeing 1:24-26 something for the bike & run no idea, based on above perhaps an hour, with a couple of minutes for transition. I might have done a pb on the run, but I'll never know!!

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 0/898
Performance: Below average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: A kind of P shaped course within a fairly sheltered marina.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 14C / 57F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:00:00 | 40 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Out 20km and back along the Port Arlington Rd.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 10 kms |  min/km
Performance: Average
Course: 2 laps taking in upper and lower beach paths. Undulating.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-20 1:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Gatorade Race 6 Geelong

2006-04-20 6:27 AM
in reply to: #401079

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: RE: Gatorade Race 6 Geelong

Great race Casie!!! you have completed an oly tri in a great time and you should feel very proud of yourself.

I think I would give this race a miss next year too, sounds way too cold for me, makes me glad to live in sunny Bris Vegas, hypothermia........ no thanks!!

2006-04-20 10:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland

WELL DONE.

Shame about the timing chip malfunctions, half the fun of tri's is comparing how you did against people at different bits. Very frustrating. Shame also about the tossers you met during the run. Dont be so down on yourself. You did it.
I'm lost with all this talk of hypothermia, sounds positively tropical to me. OK, just kidding 14c is pretty cold. Nobody ever tells you to practise riding your bike after sticking your feet in the freezer for half an hour. Gloriously well done.

2006-04-23 9:20 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

oh cold cold cold!! you are awesome for sticking it out! And just think your next oly will be so much different !!!

Scary if they were pulling people out of the water!

Congrats on the Oly!

Cat

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Race 6 Geelong Rss Feed