beginnertriathlete.com14 Votes - [31.82%]
The Slow Fat Triathlete4 Votes - [9.09%]
Be Iron Fit1 Votes - [2.27%]
Swim, Bike, Run1 Votes - [2.27%]
The 12-Week Triathlete by: Tom Holland1 Votes - [2.27%]

2006-04-20 12:30 PM

New user

Subject: Best Beginner Triathlon Book
I want to start training to do my first triathlon. I'm in pretty good shape already, what is the best book for a beginner triathlete

2006-04-20 12:44 PM
in reply to: #401618

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Best Beginner Triathlon Book

I haven't read them all, but some probably help more with technical info and some help more with the motivational/anecdotal stuff.  I was enthralled with Iron Will but it didn't provide much in the way of training information.

I think different people will respond to different things.  My advice for best tri training resource? - BT!

2006-04-20 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
I never read one of those books. I skimmed through a couple and to be honest, nothing really caught my full attention.

I've learned more here than any other book out there.

Oh... and I get tons of training tips from magazines like: Triathlete, Bicyling and Runners.
2006-04-20 1:17 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
I added The Slow Fat Triathlete - I'm not saying that you're either slow or fat (although I happen to be both! ) but this book was a fun read. It won't give you the kind of training help that the others do, but the author's attitude toward triathlon in general was great!
2006-04-20 1:21 PM

User image

Regular
I read (and reread) Eric Harr's book Tiathlon Training in 4 Hours a Week. It is very well written with tons of great info. I have flipped through The Triathlon Training Bible and from what I saw/have heard it is more for the intermediate triathlete. I would definitely recommend Eric Harr's book!!!
2006-04-20 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell MT
The question asked about the best book and I have to chose the "Triathletes Training Bible" for the width of knowledge it covers, and a few of the books have read since actually spend quite a bit of time references it in order to get their information. I am currently using "Training plans for Multisport Athletes" and like it also for actual training plan ideas. It somes to add to the Training Bible for me.
As far as websites I would agree with BT being the best by a long shot. I have tried a few others and was not impressed at all. In fact on one I asked a question about aerobars in Jan. I just received my first reply last week. I was even talking to my wife today about how "family" like BT seems. I think it is very evident lately with the outpouring of support for some fellow BT'ers that have had some unfortunate circumstances in their lives.

Mike

2006-04-20 1:52 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Triathlon Training in 4 Hours a week was what got me interested in the sport. It definitely made me think it was possible for me to do one. I was going to use one of the training plans in it until I came upon BT.  It covers the basics well.

The Triathletes Training Bible is a great reference, but it's very technical. For a beginner with little to no experience in any of the 3 sports who's just investigating triathlon, I think it's too much. It's a good book to get going into your second season.

Triathlons 101 is good, if a bit dated.

Going Long is good if you intend to do a half ironman or ironman. 

I like to think BT is truly excellent with the exception of the occasional misinformation regarding slow bike colors. 

I haven't read any of the others.

2006-04-20 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
I think it totally depends on how into it you want to get.  I didn't think I'd be this big a dork about my training when I first started months ago.  I read (most of) Triathlon 101...it's got good basic information, but all my real info has come from this site.
2006-04-20 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
I've read  "Swim, Bike, Run" by Wes Hobson twice in the last 9 months.  It has been very helpful for me...concise yet thorough.  I've skimmed some of the other books above.  I think most of them will get a beginner (me) the information they need.  BTW...most libraries have a good selection of tri books.  I checked this one out when I wanted some info....can save my pennies for equip that way :-)
2006-04-20 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Joe Friel was speaking near me a couple weeks ago.  He is getting ready to go to press with a newbie book - so hang on all!

Joe Friel is the author of the "Triathlete's Training Bible" - FYI

2006-04-20 4:00 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Some quick notes on books I've read:

Triathlon 101 (John Mora) - Too Basic, few details, author tangents too much, poor swimming section, disappointing narrative, great cover

Triathlon Training (Michael Finch) - great color pictures, excellent graphs and stats, text and content are above average

Complete Triathlon Book (Triathlete Magazine) - very basic info., black and white photos, you can find the same info on the net for free

Triathlete's Edge (Marc Evans) - decent swim section and unique insights with exercises to develop core strength, otherwise very basic bike and run info.

Open Water Swimming (Penny Lee Dean) - I learned how to swim by reading this book and listening to the Master Swimmers at the local YMCA - - solid, focused, swim info. for novices, easy read

The Triathlete's Training Bible  (Finch) - Maybe it is just the right info. at the right time in my evolution but I'm impressed. This book contains all "meat" and no fluff .

If you are looking for a well written (though somewhat technical) book on tri training - - take some time with the Triathlete's Training Bible. I cannot say enough good things about it. The bumble bee and horse analogy is, by itself, almost worth the purchase price.

2006-04-20 4:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La
If I had read the Training Bible as my first book, I would have crumbled into a crying heap of quivering despair and never done my first triathlon.  It's pretty technical.   I read tri training in 4 hours a week and it was a great book for beginners with little or no athletic background.  Great motivation and several different training plan options based on your available time to train, first tri distance, and your objectives.
2006-04-20 4:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am a big reader, and before I plunged into the training and I read a lot of these texts... although I admittedly skimmed a few of them...

For entertainment value, I voted on Slow Fat Triathlete. It was fantastic. It was both witty and serious and I would absolutely recomend it to anyone with any inkling for getting off the coach... I also thought her chapter on the newbie Triathlete Fan Club was really funny. I even made my husband read it. This was really a great book and I heard she is writing another book too. I agree that she does not cover a lot of details on training itself, but her anecdotal stuff is really down to earth.

On the other side of the coin, after all the books I read, this website was the key to my training regiment and I have gotten more use out of BT than anything else.

My additional comment would be for you to read Total Immersion for the swimming tips. I know there are many others to sing the praises of this book, but I will mention it again. I am a competent (but slow) swimmer, and I think it offers loads of great strategies for saving strength for the rest of the events. Thumbs Up!

Good luck in your training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Beginner Triathlon Book Rss Feed