TriUtah
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 28s
Overall Rank = 78/227
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 6:00 am. Decided I needed a "ritual" so I shaved the legs. In the process cut the back of my left knee pretty good. Took a few minutes to deal with that issue.

Packed up the transition bag, checking about 90 times to make sure I had everything. In the end the only thing I missed was a pen and paper to record preliminary results with. Will make sure I do that next time.

Had a protien shake, and some Xango for my breakfast. Randy picked me up about 6:45 and we headed off to the race (4 miles from the house!)

Got to the race, unloaded the bikes, checked the tires and got the transition set up. Met up with Billy, yojimbo, and met pbarlowtri while waiting in line to start.

Event warmup:

Didn't get a good race warmup. They wouldn't let anyone in the pool area until about 15 minutes before the race. Time Trial start, so I would have been standing around wet. Ran in place a little bit, jumped up and down a couple time to get loosened up.
Swim
  • 05m 34s
  • 250 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was not overly pleased with my swim today. My workout swims the past couple of weeks have had me at about 2:00/100 -- today only was able to hold about 2:14. Several things contributed to this issue.

1. - Water temperature was much too warm. Almost everyone I talked to did about 30 seconds slower on the swim than they wanted to.

2. - Breathing. I didn't control my breathing well. I had planned to bilateral the entire race -- only made it about 100 yards before that went out the door! I think that was also impacted by water temp.

3.- TURNS --- They absolutely stunk today, espcially the lane changes. Didn't get myself deep enough going under the ropes and kinda hung up in them a couple times. Also, was passing someone around a turn and that messed me up a little bit.

4.- Didn't stretch out my stroke as well today as I have in the past several workouts, which impacted my pace.

All said though, I was faster than at the Icebreaker, so I shouldn't complain too loudly. It's just that I had really hoped to break 5 minutes on the swim today and didn't. I worked hard in the swim, but because I didn't breath well, my stroke lost efficiency. I also lost a lot of time on the turns today.
What would you do differently?:

Plan my turn better. Be more aware of my position in relation to the other swimmers in the lane I'm in. Be more agressive in passing. I did pass at least one swimmer, so that's exciting, given we were in Time Trial starts spaced 15 seconds apart.

Focus HARD on breathing bilaterally throughout the swim. My stroke is much more efficient when I do that

While my swim was my worst performance today, I did learn some things.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Had laid everything out well, so not an issue there. Decided to take runningfoo's advice and bag the gloves which saved a couple of seconds. Had some problems getting my bike shoes on. Had them opened up well, but they just didn't want to go onto my feet. Also had a small problem getting my helmet fastened. Didn't mount the bike very well coming out ot the transition.

Learn how to put my shoes on with them on my bike. Don't fight the helmet. Remember to start Garmin when crossing time mat so I have good data for my records (didn't remember to start it until I was about a minute or so into the bike -- URGH)

I also need to practice mounting more quickly. I'm REALLY slow at that
Bike
  • 36m 17s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall, I was quite pleased with the ride. Kept my cadence pretty consistent throughout, and to my recollection was only passed about twice, but I passed MANY other racers which was VERY exciting for me.

Worked hard on keeping my cadence good by working a lot with my gearing. Only one section did I not manage that well, and consequently that may have cost me about .2-.3 MPH on the overall pace. I would have really liked to have had an average pace of 20 MPH plus, but I guess I was pretty close at 19.8 MPH average pace. Needed to not slow down as early as I did on the turn arounds, which also cost me some time.

Be more agressive on the turn arounds so as to keep pace up better. Work on getting myself on to my drop bars (since I don't have aero's) to improve my aerodynamics.

Work on mounting and dismounting with shoes clipped in. That could save me 30 secs to a minute in transition.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

This transition was pretty good except for dismounting the bike. Haven't mastered doing that while rolling well. It's clip out, stop, get off, and then try to run, in bike shoes to my racking spot.

Shoe change wasn't too bad, except I forgot to go to the store and get some Yankz, which would have save 15-30 seconds on this transition.

GET YANKZ, Learn to take shoes off while approaching transition zone.
Run
  • 24m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

My pace was not quite as fast as I'd hoped, even though it was a PR for me. In looking at the results of others in my age group, to become really competitive in my group, and get into the hardware dept, I need to increase my running speed by about 10-30 seconds per mile. That's a tall order, but given my improvements over 3 mile distances in the past several months, it's doable.

BEST and WORST part of this run--- Only got passed once that I remember, but the dude that passed me was in my Age Group! URGH. I did pass a lot of people.

Also, take more care in what I drink along the course. At the first water stop at mile 1, I took a glass of Elite (gatorade). I haven't taken that product before. It tasted fine, but I tried to drink it too fast and choked myself, in the process gagging myself and almost having to stop a couple times over the next couple tenths to puke. Fortunately I didn't puke, but I came close, and it slowed me down some for a short time.

My pace overall was quite consistent. According to my Garmin, my pace stayed within a 5 second per mile range which was great. I just need to not be afraid to push a little bit harder.

Drink the replenishment drink before the race, so I'm familiar with it's taste. Don't be afraid to push a little harder in the home stretch.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off, made Randy happy by puking a little at the finish line. Took some water, some grapes, and a bagel as post race nurishment.

This was a great race for me today! I'm VERY pleased with my overall performace having improved my time from last months Icebreaker Triathlon by a full 3 minutes! I improved my time in every area of the race. I was SO excited by how little I was passed today, and how many people I was able to pass. I was the 109th person to start, but finished 67th, so given that, I basically passed 42 people during the course of the race. Being that this was a time trial, I didn't physically pass that many, but it shows me that I can be competitive as a triathlete. I think I've finally found a sport that I can do WELL! That's a BIG MOTIVATOR to me. And given that I have come so close to hardware in the past 2 races, I'm even more motivated to train hard and have a shot at getting on the podium.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Choking on replenishment drink. Not planning my turns in the swim better. Having challenges with the mount/dismount in the transitions, difficulties getting my biking shoes on quickly.

Event comments:

Good, well run race, but frustratred by the changes in distances after the race was advertised. This is the second race that they have done this with this year. They're batting a 1000.

I'll do this race again in the future. It's a great season building workup race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-03-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:34 | 250 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 0/227
Performance: Below average
Suit: Javelin Tri Suit
Course: 25 yard by 5 lane hot spring fed pool. Lanes were a bit on the narrow side. Race was swum up on lane and back in the same lane, then change lanes and do it again for a total of 250 yards.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 92F / 33C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:36:17 | 12 miles | 19.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/8
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Pretty much a flat course -- Ride the road north 3 miles and return past the T-Zone then head south through a residential development 3 miles and return. Generally a pretty flat course, with a couple of mild climbs between miles 7 and 10. About 1/4 of a mile of the course was like riding on a washboard though (which you had to ride across twice) and there were 4 or 5 speed bumps on the second half of the course which slowed you down.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:30 | 03.11 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/8
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty much flat on generally paved walking trails through a very nice neighborhood. 1 short, but very steep downhill at Mile 2 and 1 short, but very steep climb at mile 2.25
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-04-23 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: In Training Spring Pool Triathlon

2006-04-23 11:57 AM
in reply to: #404068

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: In Training Spring Pool Triathlon
Congrats on the improvements from last time. I'm sure that the swim will only get better as you get more race experience and learn to RELAX. And it sounds like you've trimmed down the transition time a bit, but will do so even more next time.

It looks to me like you had pretty darn good bike and run legs. You probably would have broken 20mph on the bike without the speed bumps! And PR on the 5k. Congratulations!!!

Have you decided what's next on the race schedule?
2006-04-23 12:45 PM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida

Nice job! 

How is the pool swim laid out?  ie did you swim the circumfr. of the pool so many times or what?

2006-04-23 1:15 PM
in reply to: #404091

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Mike 45 - 2006-04-23 11:45 AM

Nice job! 

How is the pool swim laid out?  ie did you swim the circumfr. of the pool so many times or what?

25 yard pool 5 lanes wide, although the lanes seemed a bit on the narrow side.  Distace was made by swimming up and back in one lane then going under the rope and going up and back in that lane through the end of the distance.  So basically did 5 laps, 1 in each lane.  Was a Time Trial start so we lined up according to our race number (determined by estimated swim time) and they started us off at 15 second intervals.  Not a bad format, but does make it a little more challenging to see where you are in relation to the rest of the field.

2006-04-23 1:22 PM
in reply to: #404107

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida
wow.  Makes me dizzy just thinking about it.  I would probably turn the wrong way and end up going upstream. 
2006-04-23 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

Nice bike split!  I'm sure the water temp had a lot to do with your swim performance.  Warm water is so hard to deal with!  Your run was great! 

Bike on washboard sounds like the course down here at Fort DeSoto...very rough road...

GREAT JOB!!

2006-04-24 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN

nice race brett...  im a bit surprised abotu the swim time considering your pretty much a fish nowadays...  keep it up though... youll get there...    shaving your legs... yikes!!    bilateral isn't everything its cracked up to be... and flipping aint either...  OW swim next?   killer bike time btw... 

Regards!!!

2006-04-24 10:24 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
Very solid effort so early in the year.  Awesome job!  Keep on keep'n on!
2006-04-24 10:38 PM
in reply to: #405482

User image

Extreme Veteran

Dude, you are my NEMISIS. Damnit man! And it's the shaved legs that did it! That was your secret . . . better watch out 'cause now I know!

That run time was sweet! All that speed work paid off handsomely. Freaking lets all do USG in June. BT road trip. I'm already registered otherwise I won't race with ya'll again until Ogden . . . cause I will probably be in San Fran the weekend of Jordanelle.

2006-04-25 6:58 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina

Another great race!! You now have two under your belt for the year. I would not worry about staying consistent on any swim below the 400 yard mark. You are so jacked up and it is so short it's hard to get into a good rhythm. I usually drop my plan about half way through on these races as well. I am guessing next year I will be able to follow my swimming plan in these shorter races.

As for getting sick, I did the same in my race...........unfortunately I was still on the course. Great job!!!

2006-04-25 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Great job, Brett!  Getting faster every race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » In Training Spring Pool Triathlon Rss Feed